Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WMC as the backend - released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-10-05, 13:56)TheImmortal Wrote: [ -> ]WMC displays thumbnails for common shows/movies in it's EPG. Is this data transferable to the PVR client in a similar fashion to the channel icons?

Interesting. The wmc database specifies the show icons through internet addresses. Here is an example one from my wmc database:
e.Program.GuideImage.ImageUrl = "http://images.windowsmedia.com/tvcards/org/2633_19.jpg"

I just pass this url onto the clients and that has been working for me. It seems like the only way it could fail is if your raspbmc does not have an internet connection - or xbmc is not allowed to use the connection. Is that the problem?

To answer your question though, yes, I could cache the guide icons the same way I do channel icons, if for some reason the url's don't work - but I wonder why they don't work. Please let me know.

(2013-10-05, 16:29)hoopsdavis Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-05, 14:47)edgedamage Wrote: [ -> ]Working great here with, RASPBMC & WIN7. Only one little minor problem, the recordings folder never populates with recorded shows. Even after a successful recording, ServerWMC even shows Recordings: 0. I am able to manually browse to the "Recorded TV" folder on the win7 box with RASPBMC. and play the recorded shows.

Sounds like you don't have the correct folder being watched.

Have you changed your recorded TV folder?
Are you able to see the recordings on the main server PC from within xbmc?
Do you have the correct networked recorded TV folder listed in serverWMC (folders tab)
Also, if you have credentials enabled in serverWMC (folders tab) disable, restart serverWMC and try again.

Hoops advice is excellent, with one quibble: for the raspbmc client credentials need to be enabled with the correct info (unless you set up the credentials with path substitution in xbmc's config).

Also, make sure you aren't 'watching' any other other folders for recorded tv in your wmc settings except for the main recorded folder.
I had this working on a previous version (10) and upgraded to 12 today. I tried connecting an appletv using crystalbuntu xbmc 12.2 and also a pi using xbian and raspbmc but whilst both with the new plugin (client and server) see the channels and list the epg and recordings, I get an error when trying to play live tv, and no reaction when trying to play a recording.

Below is an extract from the log when I tried to play livetv. Note this works in MCE, and the folders are shared correctly - any ideas?

Quote:15:43:00 T:2823588672 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
15:43:00 T:2823588672 DEBUG: PVRManager - OpenLiveStream - opening live stream on channel 'BBC 1 South/101'
15:43:00 T:2823588672 DEBUG: opening live stream for channel 'BBC 1 South/101'
15:43:00 T:3008100160 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogBusy.xml) ------
15:43:00 T:3008100160 DEBUG: Window DialogBusy.xml was already loaded
15:43:00 T:3008100160 DEBUG: Alloc resources: 0.04m
15:43:02 T:2823588672 DEBUG: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: OpenLiveStream> opening stream: //MEDIA-PC/Recorded TV/TempXBMC/LiveTV_192.168.1.95_DVB-T_101_2013_10_05_16_41_33.ts
15:43:02 T:2823588672 ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: Error opening stream file
15:43:02 T:2823588672 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [pvr://channels/tv/All TV channels/0.pvr]
15:43:02 T:2823588672 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
15:43:02 T:2823588672 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
15:43:02 T:2823588672 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamPVRManager::Close - stream closed
15:43:02 T:2823588672 DEBUG: Thread CDVDPlayer 2823588672 terminating
15:43:02 T:3008100160 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnStop from xbmc
15:43:02 T:3008100160 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 1, from xbmc, message OnStop
15:43:02 T:3008100160 NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
15:43:02 T:3008100160 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
[quote='bob808' pid='1521452' dateline='1380989443']
I had this working on a previous version (10) and upgraded to 12 today. I tried connecting an appletv using crystalbuntu xbmc 12.2 and also a pi using xbian and raspbmc but whilst both with the new plugin (client and server) see the channels and list the epg and recordings, I get an error when trying to play live tv, and no reaction when trying to play a recording.

Below is an extract from the log when I tried to play livetv. Note this works in MCE, and the folders are shared correctly - any ideas?

[quote]15:43:00 T:2823588672 NOTICE: Creating InputStream

15:43:02 T:2823588672 DEBUG: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: OpenLiveStream> opening stream: //MEDIA-PC/Recorded TV/TempXBMC/LiveTV_192.168.1.95_DVB-T_101_2013_10_05_16_41_33.ts
15:43:02 T:2823588672 ERROR: AddOnLog: Windows Media Center PVR: Error opening stream file
[/quote]

Live tv not working and recorded tv not working, and the error above, all seem to indicate that the clients cannot find the shared recorded tv folder. Do you have credentials turned on in the server?
yep, set to everyone having full access to the folder, and windows firewall off
(2013-10-05, 18:25)bob808 Wrote: [ -> ]yep, set to everyone having full access to the folder, and windows firewall off

Sorry, that doesn't answer it. 'Everyone' having full access only give windows machines full access. The non-windows machines need to have the credential set to access the folder. If you have set the credentials, then post a server log on pastebin.com after one of your clients fails.
hi, i love the idea of this as for me wmc is still my primary "recorder" of choice and on the main tv the client of choice for now. i want to use xbmc on some raspberry pi's that i have around the house and am also considering it as a replacement for wmc on the htpc. i use dvblink to get my dvb s-2 channels into wmc and that all works great, the encryption is removed before it gets to wmc and all recordings are drm free. i previously used the dvblink xbmc client on my pi's and my testing laptop but i didn't like this as it requires you to use the dvblink recorder which then forces you to use the dvblink client in wmc, which is quite poor.

so, this seems to be a great solution. except my experiences have been a bit hit and miss so far. so i installed the server fine (on win 8) and everything seems ok. channels are found, the tuners are found (8 because dvblink chooses to present 8 virtual tuners to wmc even though i only have 4 physical tuners, but this all works ok in wmc). the only thing i changed was adding my details on the folder screen as i think i've picked up from the thread this is required for the pi? one thing, is it fine having my username and password here because it is the combo for my main hotmail account, there's no security risk here is there?

so then i installed the client on my htpc. everything loads seems to load ok, recordings play back smooth as you like in hd, the epg is full and channel icons show. the problem is live tv, some channels play, other don't. i can't see any pattern,encrypted, hd and sd channels play but not all. all play back fine in wmc. it says to see the log for detail so i will find that and post somewhere shortly. when hd channels do play they are fairly stuttery. sd channels are fine. i tried switching on interlacing as suggested at some point in the thread but this doesn't seem to have changed anything.

on my laptop, which i'm testing before moving onto the pi's things are less good. the pvr manager seems to start ok, i sometimes see a connection lost message but it seems to complete immediately after if not before. everything seems to populate ok, but: recordings do not play, i i don't see any messages about client requests showing up in the serverwmc window on the htpc. live tv, i can see the client requests in serverwmc but nothing plays on the client, i get an errors message saying something like the stream is empty. if i try again the working wheel spins for 20s and then disappears but in serverwmc it tells me it is streaming to the laptop. wtv and ts files are created in the xbmctemp folder and continue to grow, before i realised what was going on i found a 190Gb one yesterday! if i change channel on the client i can see these instructions are being received and processed br serverwmc but nothing plays on the client.

i had a little play on the pi but pretty much the same as above, i thought i would concentrate on getting the windows client working first. sorry for the epic post but i wante dto try and give as much info as possible, log with hopefully some useful info here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3954...verWMC.log

thanks and this is really great work!

i did mean to add, i changed the port to 9085 as i use remote potato.as the above sounded like firewall problems and i didn't remember seeing the request to ad serverwmc to the exceptions list i checked and then added inbound and outbound rules for 9085 but no difference
(2013-10-05, 18:01)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-05, 13:56)TheImmortal Wrote: [ -> ]WMC displays thumbnails for common shows/movies in it's EPG. Is this data transferable to the PVR client in a similar fashion to the channel icons?

Interesting. The wmc database specifies the show icons through internet addresses. Here is an example one from my wmc database:
e.Program.GuideImage.ImageUrl = "http://images.windowsmedia.com/tvcards/org/2633_19.jpg"

I just pass this url onto the clients and that has been working for me. It seems like the only way it could fail is if your raspbmc does not have an internet connection - or xbmc is not allowed to use the connection. Is that the problem?

To answer your question though, yes, I could cache the guide icons the same way I do channel icons, if for some reason the url's don't work - but I wonder why they don't work. Please let me know.

(2013-10-05, 14:47)edgedamage Wrote: [ -> ]Working great here with, RASPBMC & WIN7. Only one little minor problem, the recordings folder never populates with recorded shows. Even after a successful recording, ServerWMC even shows Recordings: 0. I am able to manually browse to the "Recorded TV" folder on the win7 box with RASPBMC. and play the recorded shows.

Do you have the correct networked recorded TV folder listed in serverWMC (folders tab)
Also, if you have credentials enabled in serverWMC (folders tab) disable, restart serverWMC and try again.

Hoops advice is excellent, with one quibble: for the raspbmc client credentials need to be enabled with the correct info (unless you set up the credentials with path substitution in xbmc's config).

Also, make sure you aren't 'watching' any other other folders for recorded tv in your wmc settings except for the main recorded folder.

Good catch Krusy, my mistake.
I am not sure if someone answered this before, but in regards to the issue of having to configure WMC on a PC in order to get the windows client working my work around was as follows.

Install WMC server module on the server machine that has WMC installed and tuners configured.

Install WMC client addon for XBMC on the server machine as well. Enable Live TV (PVR)

Configure and test If all is working then next.

Enable Live TV on the Client machine that has XBMC but does not have WMC installed on it, exit XMBC without selecting a PVR addon.

Copy the pvr.wmc folder from users\$$your name$$\appdata\roaming\xbmc\addons from the server machine to the client machine (in the same corresponding location)

Edit (or just change it from within XMBC configurations section) the settings.xml (C:\Users\$$your name$$\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\pvr.wmc\resources and change the IP to that of the machine that has the server module installed.

Run XBMC and it should run right away, you might need to enable the WMC plugin (I didn't need to though)

XBMC on windows based client had live tv with zero tuners on that machine

Let me know if that works!

Salam y'all!

Yehia
(2013-10-05, 19:01)spaceboy Wrote: [ -> ]hi, i love the idea of this as for me wmc is still my primary "recorder" of choice and on the main tv the client of choice for now. i want to use xbmc on some raspberry pi's that i have around the house and am also considering it as a replacement for wmc on the htpc. i use dvblink to get my dvb s-2 channels into wmc and that all works great, the encryption is removed before it gets to wmc and all recordings are drm free. i previously used the dvblink xbmc client on my pi's and my testing laptop but i didn't like this as it requires you to use the dvblink recorder which then forces you to use the dvblink client in wmc, which is quite poor.

so, this seems to be a great solution. except my experiences have been a bit hit and miss so far. so i installed the server fine (on win 8) and everything seems ok. channels are found, the tuners are found (8 because dvblink chooses to present 8 virtual tuners to wmc even though i only have 4 physical tuners, but this all works ok in wmc). the only thing i changed was adding my details on the folder screen as i think i've picked up from the thread this is required for the pi? one thing, is it fine having my username and password here because it is the combo for my main hotmail account, there's no security risk here is there?

so then i installed the client on my htpc. everything loads seems to load ok, recordings play back smooth as you like in hd, the epg is full and channel icons show. the problem is live tv, some channels play, other don't. i can't see any pattern,encrypted, hd and sd channels play but not all. all play back fine in wmc. it says to see the log for detail so i will find that and post somewhere shortly. when hd channels do play they are fairly stuttery. sd channels are fine. i tried switching on interlacing as suggested at some point in the thread but this doesn't seem to have changed anything.

on my laptop, which i'm testing before moving onto the pi's things are less good. the pvr manager seems to start ok, i sometimes see a connection lost message but it seems to complete immediately after if not before. everything seems to populate ok, but: recordings do not play, i i don't see any messages about client requests showing up in the serverwmc window on the htpc. live tv, i can see the client requests in serverwmc but nothing plays on the client, i get an errors message saying something like the stream is empty. if i try again the working wheel spins for 20s and then disappears but in serverwmc it tells me it is streaming to the laptop. wtv and ts files are created in the xbmctemp folder and continue to grow, before i realised what was going on i found a 190Gb one yesterday! if i change channel on the client i can see these instructions are being received and processed br serverwmc but nothing plays on the client.

i had a little play on the pi but pretty much the same as above, i thought i would concentrate on getting the windows client working first. sorry for the epic post but i wante dto try and give as much info as possible, log with hopefully some useful info here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3954...verWMC.log

thanks and this is really great work!

i did mean to add, i changed the port to 9085 as i use remote potato.as the above sounded like firewall problems and i didn't remember seeing the request to ad serverwmc to the exceptions list i checked and then added inbound and outbound rules for 9085 but no difference

You are right there is a lot to digest here.

As for security, the password is **** out in the server log and it is encrypted in the config settings. So I have tried to be careful in the server, but the risk is yours. I suggest using less sensitive passwords.

I agree, lets focus on the main windows htpc first with the client running there. The video quality problems you are seeing in HD are likely a problem with xbmc and the wtv produced by some European channels. To test this, record a short wtv on one of these channels either with xbmc or wmc. Then play the wtv file in xbmc and see if you see the same stuttering type problem. If you do, I can't do anything about this, it seems to be a problem with ffmpeg. I would just recommend you submit it as a bug to xbmc, as it would be great to get this fixed.

On the channels that don't play at all (again only focusing on the windows PC), I am not sure if they are represented in the log - or if they are I can't indentify them. When you can, please do another run for me where you start serverwmc, try to start one of these channels that don't play in xbmc, and after it fails send me this server log.
(2013-10-05, 18:01)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]

It isn't working for me. From what it sounds like based on your response, it should be working. Let me do some tests and report back. It may be an issue with my config.
(2013-10-05, 19:46)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]You are right there is a lot to digest here.

As for security, the password is **** out in the server log and it is encrypted in the config settings. So I have tried to be careful in the server, but the risk is yours. I suggest using less sensitive passwords.

I agree, lets focus on the main windows htpc first with the client running there. The video quality problems you are seeing in HD are likely a problem with xbmc and the wtv produced by some European channels. To test this, record a short wtv on one of these channels either with xbmc or wmc. Then play the wtv file in xbmc and see if you see the same stuttering type problem. If you do, I can't do anything about this, it seems to be a problem with ffmpeg. I would just recommend you submit it as a bug to xbmc, as it would be great to get this fixed.

On the channels that don't play at all (again only focusing on the windows PC), I am not sure if they are represented in the log - or if they are I can't indentify them. When you can, please do another run for me where you start serverwmc, try to start one of these channels that don't play in xbmc, and after it fails send me this server log.

hi kr, thanks. no, stuff that i have recorded in wmc plays back fine in xbmc, no stutter on hd channels. its only live tv and its pretty much constant

ok i tried to capture the tuning problem on the main htpc and it seems to have gone now. so instead i re ran the remote windows client. it started to load the pvr, i got a connection lost message then it loaded sucessfully. tried to play bbc1 got 30-40s of working then nothing, tried to play bbc2 hd and the same. i closed the remote client and checked in serverwmc and it still says its streaming to that client. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3954...erWMC1.log
(2013-10-05, 20:31)spaceboy Wrote: [ -> ]hi kr, thanks. no, stuff that i have recorded in wmc plays back fine in xbmc, no stutter on hd channels. its only live tv and its pretty much constant

ok i tried to capture the tuning problem on the main htpc and it seems to have gone now. so instead i re ran the remote windows client. it started to load the pvr, i got a connection lost message then it loaded sucessfully. tried to play bbc1 got 30-40s of working then nothing, tried to play bbc2 hd and the same. i closed the remote client and checked in serverwmc and it still says its streaming to that client. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3954...erWMC1.log

I thought we were going to work on the main windows client first, before the remote client. So you are saying that is working now?

How is the remote client connected to the server? Is it wifi?
yep the main client seems to be working now apart from the stuttering on HD channels. remote client is connected via wifi
(2013-10-05, 22:18)spaceboy Wrote: [ -> ]yep the main client seems to be working now apart from the stuttering on HD channels. remote client is connected via wifi

OK. So for the stuttering HD channels, please make a one or two minute wtv clip recorded on one of these stuttering channels and put it here:
https://drive.google.com/?tab=wo&authuse...zFhZmNPWUE

I don't think a client connected over wifi has the bandwidth to play wtv files. Can you try wiring your laptop in and see if the connection related problems go away (just as an experiment)?

(2013-10-05, 20:07)TheImmortal Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't working for me. From what it sounds like based on your response, it should be working. Let me do some tests and report back. It may be an issue with my config.

Very curious about this, please let me know what you find. I assume you see the guide icons when you run the client on the windows server, right?
(2013-10-05, 22:40)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-05, 20:07)TheImmortal Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't working for me. From what it sounds like based on your response, it should be working. Let me do some tests and report back. It may be an issue with my config.

Very curious about this, please let me know what you find. I assume you see the guide icons when you run the client on the windows server, right?

Is there a known working skin where the thumbs show? I am currently using Arctic and from what I can tell, the skin doesn't support that feature at the moment on the EPG or TV Channels pages, but when I go to Recordings it shows the show thumbnail so somewhere it is working.