Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WMC as the backend - released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
kr - I have a few things I need clarified for the wiki. Would you prefer I ask you here, in the wiki thread or via PM?
(2013-10-24, 01:13)TechLife Wrote: [ -> ]kr - I have a few things I need clarified for the wiki. Would you prefer I ask you here, in the wiki thread or via PM?

I subscribed to the wiki thread too, so either way. If you need clarification for the wiki I guess there.
(2013-10-24, 02:07)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-24, 01:13)TechLife Wrote: [ -> ]kr - I have a few things I need clarified for the wiki. Would you prefer I ask you here, in the wiki thread or via PM?

I subscribed to the wiki thread too, so either way. If you need clarification for the wiki I guess there.

Just wanted to check. Thank you. I'll get the post up later tonight. Absolutely no rush whatsoever. It's not like you don't have anything else to do...
(2013-10-23, 16:17)bungee91 Wrote: [ -> ]I've dabbled with over clocking a bit, I believe I was on the "fast" setting at the time. I have a USB3 drive arriving today that I will setup with the Pi and hopefully that helps some. A buddy of mine with a Pi stock clock is experiencing the same issue as me (also SD card install) . I'm glad to hear yours is only a couple of seconds, I'm hopeful then with the flash drive install that it will be faster.
I have a wired connection also.
If the time can get down to a couple of seconds the cache is likely not needed.
Thanks for the feedback.

I am curious if this helps your problem too, before I order my pi Smile.

xbmc queries for info about recordings from the server every 5 minutes, independent of whether recordings are being viewed or not. So I assume xbmc is caching the data, therefore I don't believe me doing it in the client side would make any difference (also other pvr clients don't cache this data either, last I checked). You can look at the server log and see how long it takes to get recordings from the server (search GetRecordings).

Btw, the server is not scanning directories, the wmc service is doing that for us, the server just gets the recordings list from the service when xbmc asks for it.
personally i think a cache of recorded tv would be a good addition. i have a 2Tb recorded tv folder and it takes about 10s+ for mine to load. i am also working at trying to get raspbmc installed on a usb drive to see if that helps but not having much luck there either...
(2013-10-23, 14:24)bungee91 Wrote: [ -> ]This is more pointed to Dilligaf for input.

In RaspBMC it seems to take just about forever to load the Recordings section under LiveTV.
This is over LAN to a samba share. I thought initially that once it loaded for the 1st time that subsequent loads would be faster (maybe it cache's some of it), however that doesn't seem to be the case. I admit I have a lot of recordings on the main PC (around 800GB) however any idea what it is doing to take that long? If it is trying to fetch all kinds of stuff, can we just make it a simple file directory listing and speed it up by like 100 times?
I'm sorry if I sound frustrated I was just surprised it takes a minute or more to load a directory.
Any thoughts?.. Thanks.

I think your problem may be the SMB share. I had problems with playback performance on my pi. I overclocked it till it crashed but didn't really help. I then switched to uPnP which improved performance but doesn't work with scrapers. Finally I set up the folders for NFS and everything is working good.
I've had time to dabble last night, my Pi is now setup with a USB 3 drive and at the end of playing I was clocked at 1GHZ.
It still took roughly 20 seconds for all of my recorded Tv to load. I attempted this many times at each reboot as I was ramping clock rate up (first "fast" then "super", then manual 1GHZ)
The fastest I got once was roughly 15 seconds, and the slowest was 30 seconds. I believe if you had LiveTv playing in the background it would still have been closer to the 1 minute that I stated prior, however I didn't try this so I may be wrong.

What I did notice is that on my recordings some of them clearly have an official looking thumbnail for the show.
I assume that this must be scraped somehow from somewhere for this to show up. The shows that had this were Parks and Recreation, and The Voice.
Other less popular shows like ABC 7 news, Inside the Bears (football related) didn't have this and had a little default speaker icon.
I looked for a setting to disable the thumbnail for recorded tv and I didn't find anything on the Live Tv settings.
I already do have the thumbnail extraction part from files disabled under my videos, however these weren't those anyhow.

I will run this again a couple of times with a reboot in between for good measure and pull a server log or two.

In comparison I'd love to see what Dilligaf's log shows in comparison.

I can set this up on NFS on my Unraid server, but it will be kind of a pain for the HTPC to move the recordings every time if not needed.
I would need to watch the folder or something like that and then use software to move it. To me recorded Tv is fine kept on the HTPC as if it was lost, I wouldn't really care.
This says 1.80 seconds

2013/10/24 02:47:52.452 Received client request: 192.168.1.134|GetRecordings
2013/10/24 02:47:54.253 GetRecordings> Completed for client 192.168.1.134, results:
2013/10/24 02:47:54.253 GetRecordings> Transfered: RecTV folder files: 5, watched files: 100
2013/10/24 02:47:54.253 GetRecordings> Ignored: local files: 0, temp files: 0
2013/10/24 02:47:54.253 GetRecordings> Weird files: no program: 0, no channel: 105, orphaned: 0
2013/10/24 02:47:54.253 GetRecordings> Misc: content protected: 0, icons: 6
2013/10/24 02:47:54.253 Finished request GetRecordings in 1.80s

To clarify the 105 files are on a Server 2012 R2 share, all others are on the shared Recorded TV folder that ServerWMC is installed on
(2013-10-24, 14:15)Moe Manley Wrote: [ -> ]I think your problem may be the SMB share. I had problems with playback performance on my pi. I overclocked it till it crashed but didn't really help. I then switched to uPnP which improved performance but doesn't work with scrapers. Finally I set up the folders for NFS and everything is working good.

If this ends up being the only way to fix it, I will do just that I'd just prefer that to not be the case.

2 seconds was a pretty close guess then....LOL
I'm not at home, but I will look at the server log later this afternoon or tomorrow evening (drinks after work today).
(2013-10-24, 14:40)bungee91 Wrote: [ -> ]What I did notice is that on my recordings some of them clearly have an official looking thumbnail for the show.
I assume that this must be scraped somehow from somewhere for this to show up. The shows that had this were Parks and Recreation, and The Voice.
Other less popular shows like ABC 7 news, Inside the Bears (football related) didn't have this and had a little default speaker icon.
I looked for a setting to disable the thumbnail for recorded tv and I didn't find anything on the Live Tv settings.
I already do have the thumbnail extraction part from files disabled under my videos, however these weren't those anyhow.

I don't use XBMC for recording anything. I use ceton's my media center on my phone to schedule my recordings in WMC. Those recordings have properties attached to them like episode name, original air date, etc. This data is displayed by WMC, but for some reason XBMC does not read it. The TVdb scraper requires the file name to be in a specific format with showname_s01e01.ext and I rename the shows I am keeping and then transfer them to my WHS. Everything works and looks great in XBMC, but requires me to make these manual changes.
I wish this was all automatic, so I will have to do some experimenting, but before I do maybe someone can answer some questions
Do recordings in XBMC have this data attached such that no scraper is required or is it solely a function of file naming?
Why is a scraper even required for wtv files when the data is already there?
Is there a better way to do this?
I am guessing Inside the Bears doesn't have a thumbnail, because the TVdb is maintained by a Packers fan.
(2013-10-23, 22:07)Dark_Slayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-23, 03:03)Dilligaf Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-23, 02:46)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]That's weird, Dilligaf usually handles these.
Yeah I do but it gets OLD repeating the same thing every 2-3 pages, here it is from last time http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1525768

Once pvr.wmc is added to the xbmc repo it will be built automatically by everyone

This post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150575 confirms that it is the distros responsibility to build the pvr addons.

(2013-10-23, 03:16)Dilligaf Wrote: [ -> ]Don't take this the wrong way, I would LOVE to see pvr.wmc in every variant of xbmc that is out there, it's up to YOU the user to hound the developer/builder of your distro of choice to include it in their builds, if enough people ask they will include it if only to shut you up Smile

I'm guessing it wouldn't be repeated as often if it made any sense

We aren't using repos for this add-on. We are manually installing from zip, what on earth keeps the raspbmc-developed add-on from being provided as a zip?

my openelec intel x64 build is running the linux x64 add-on from the google drive page. It is not specifically developed by or maintained by openelec. Their support area seems to be on vacation at the moment either way. I can easily understand why debian based add-ons might break in raspbian, but I can't see why a raspbian based add on would break going the other way. Since a working start is already complete, why not provide it instead of using some odd strawman argument that points towards an undefined "dev/distro" builder

I just went ahead and made a zip last night from the rasbmc standalone image.I typed up what I did last night on the openelec forum here if anyone is interested:

http://openelec.tv/forum/71-pvr-live-tv/...d-on#89852
Things on the server side look timely.
Here are a couple requests I had done the other night.
Again though the Pi still said "working" with nothing listed until 15-30 seconds (varied each time)

2013/10/23 19:44:48.039 Received client request: 192.168.1.165|GetRecordings
2013/10/23 19:44:48.929 GetRecordings> Content protected file: The China Question, hiding: True
2013/10/23 19:44:51.700 GetRecordings> Completed for client 192.168.1.165, results:
2013/10/23 19:44:51.700 GetRecordings> Transfered: RecTV folder files: 271, watched files: 0
2013/10/23 19:44:51.700 GetRecordings> Ignored: local files: 0, temp files: 0
2013/10/23 19:44:51.700 GetRecordings> Weird files: no program: 0, no channel: 252, orphaned: 0
2013/10/23 19:44:51.700 GetRecordings> Misc: content protected: 4, icons: 12
2013/10/23 19:44:51.700 Finished request GetRecordings in 3.66s

2013/10/23 19:49:00.882 Received client request: 192.168.1.165|GetRecordings
2013/10/23 19:49:01.722 GetRecordings> Content protected file: The China Question, hiding: True
2013/10/23 19:49:04.532 GetRecordings> Completed for client 192.168.1.165, results:
2013/10/23 19:49:04.532 GetRecordings> Transfered: RecTV folder files: 271, watched files: 0
2013/10/23 19:49:04.532 GetRecordings> Ignored: local files: 0, temp files: 0
2013/10/23 19:49:04.532 GetRecordings> Weird files: no program: 0, no channel: 252, orphaned: 0
2013/10/23 19:49:04.532 GetRecordings> Misc: content protected: 4, icons: 12
2013/10/23 19:49:04.532 Finished request GetRecordings in 3.65s

2013/10/23 19:51:48.898 Received client request: 192.168.1.165|GetRecordings
2013/10/23 19:51:49.738 GetRecordings> Content protected file: The China Question, hiding: True
2013/10/23 19:51:52.468 GetRecordings> Completed for client 192.168.1.165, results:
2013/10/23 19:51:52.468 GetRecordings> Transfered: RecTV folder files: 271, watched files: 0
2013/10/23 19:51:52.468 GetRecordings> Ignored: local files: 0, temp files: 0
2013/10/23 19:51:52.468 GetRecordings> Weird files: no program: 0, no channel: 252, orphaned: 0
2013/10/23 19:51:52.468 GetRecordings> Misc: content protected: 4, icons: 12
2013/10/23 19:51:52.468 Finished request GetRecordings in 3.57s
I was testing the PVR add-on with the latest Gotham Alpha and the included RecordPrefs.XML doesn't work with Confluence. It works fine with Frodo, but in Gotham when the dialog comes up to select whether you want to record a series, you can't do anything (i.e. the cursor doesn't move and you can change the settings).
(2013-10-24, 23:26)bungee91 Wrote: [ -> ]Things on the server side look timely.
Here are a couple requests I had done the other night.
Again though the Pi still said "working" with nothing listed until 15-30 seconds (varied each time)

I looked today and I transfer 322 recordings from server to client in a little under a second (two windows machines over gig-e). Again these recording transfers happen every 5 minutes regardless of whether you are displaying the recordings in xbmc or not. So I can't see how this can effect the recordings display time.

I thought about the idea that the image urls might be slowing down the display, so I modified the server so that it has the option to NOT xfer the image urls to the clients, I saw no difference in how long it takes to display the recordings - but I don't have much of a delay anyway. I can put this version of the server up if you guys want to play with turning off the image transfer.

Have you tried resetting the pvr database in xbmc to see if that makes a difference?
(2013-10-24, 16:37)Moe Manley Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use XBMC for recording anything. I use ceton's my media center on my phone to schedule my recordings in WMC. Those recordings have properties attached to them like episode name, original air date, etc. This data is displayed by WMC, but for some reason XBMC does not read it. The TVdb scraper requires the file name to be in a specific format with showname_s01e01.ext and I rename the shows I am keeping and then transfer them to my WHS. Everything works and looks great in XBMC, but requires me to make these manual changes.
I wish this was all automatic, so I will have to do some experimenting, but before I do maybe someone can answer some questions
Do recordings in XBMC have this data attached such that no scraper is required or is it solely a function of file naming?
Why is a scraper even required for wtv files when the data is already there?
Is there a better way to do this?
I am guessing Inside the Bears doesn't have a thumbnail, because the TVdb is maintained by a Packers fan.

Not sure I understand your post but...
xbmc will read the metadata (or 'properties' as you put it) of your wmc recordings if you use the server/addon combo that this thread is about. That's one of the purposes of this software.

But yeah, if you just put your wtv files in a folder at point xbmc at it as a location for video, it will try and scrape it and fail. Those weird file names wmc uses will really mess it up. There are 'renamer' programs out there that will rename your files for you in batch mode that will make them scrapable. google wtv renamer.

(2013-10-24, 23:31)TheImmortal Wrote: [ -> ]I was testing the PVR add-on with the latest Gotham Alpha and the included RecordPrefs.XML doesn't work with Confluence. It works fine with Frodo, but in Gotham when the dialog comes up to select whether you want to record a series, you can't do anything (i.e. the cursor doesn't move and you can change the settings).

I'll see if I can reproduce this and let you know.