Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New Android KitKat Quad Core CPU/Octocore GPU TV boxes out in 16 days, thoughts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
It's to be noted that XBMC does not support h/w decoding of audio, so for us S802-H = S802
It appears Minix's custom XBMC version does rely on h/w decoding of audio S802-H? Looking at this review. In my case, I just care about passthrough, not decoding (as I want my receiver to do that), so only benefit of the 'H' version seems to be 16GB storage vs. 8GB? Dunno. Also, in that review, they mention DTS-HD passthrough working, but what about TrueHD?
Nah. Don't trust any marketing gimmick. There is no audio h/w decoding in XBMC and probably will never be. Decoding audio in software is just too cheap to bother.

HD audio on Android would be firmware dependent. Even ac3/dts passthrough is firmware dependent.
Android itself just doesn't support anything beyond stereo reliably.
Good to know, thanks. I'm thinking at this point, it makes sense to wait and see if Google announces their rumored Android TV at their I/O in late June. And, for M8/X8 boxes, to see some real user reports on performance.
(2014-05-30, 22:44)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Nah. Don't trust any marketing gimmick. There is no audio h/w decoding in XBMC and probably will never be. Decoding audio in software is just too cheap to bother.

HD audio on Android would be firmware dependent. Even ac3/dts passthrough is firmware dependent.
Android itself just doesn't support anything beyond stereo reliably.

There was at one time Smile When AMLPlayer existed, audio decode was hw or sw decoded depending on how you had the /sys/class var set and if there was a hw deocder available or not. My guess is they are still using a version with AMLPlayer or they hacked in support which in that case... where is the source code please Smile

The current arch of the internal DVDPlayer does not support the use of an external hw decoder. An external hw decoder also means using an external clock to sync a/v and that support is also missing. That is the real reason why you don't see DVDPlayer using an external hw decoder.
Any way to get Linux on these boxes
That would be amazing
Hi,

i tried Gotham 13.1 on Vega S89. But there is no HD-Audio and no 24p Playback...
What can i do for HD-Audio and 24p Playback? Is it possible?

Many thanks & BR
Peter
How did you get this? @Peter911

Never mind I'm in the wrong forum.
For hd audio pass through you need the s89h model not the 1st s89 that came out, same exist for minix x8 the x8h can do pass through. As for the 24p I cannot tell since I'm w8ting in a few days a s89h and a minix x8h to arrive and then I will have opinion on this.
Hi,

i got mine from here:

klick!

i have the s89-h Model, but no HD-Audio and no 24p Playback until now...Confused

BR
Peter
Other than lack of hd audio and 24p playback, how well do full BD rips plays over wired network? Which version of XBMC is preinstalled? How is the navigation/speed in XBMC? Thanks.
Hello got the Vega S89-H XBMC plays gread everything HD, 3D. The only problem is when I try to play avi files quality looks horrible. The only way to make it look good is turn off amcodec under video options, but when I do that xbmc crashes on all MKV files. Alonso tried changing to software instead of hardware decoding then HD is choppy. Any suggestions?
Noticed, too, that mp4/xvid/divx was fugly.

I've created a PR ( https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4815 ) to disable h/w decoding of those on Android.
H/w decoding of those is too troublesome for the benefit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10