Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New mediabox for my hometheater
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, i have the last days been searching up and down for a replacement for my old HTPC (core duo e6500 with radeon hd5450), i have all my movies backed up in full quality on several harddrives.

Demands for the new box is:
Capable of passing the audio to my reciver
Capable of playing 4k@30 and 1080p@24
I would like it to be able to play 3D

my options so far is:

nVidia shield
Beebox
Intel NUC
Build a new HTPC without a gfx card and just CPU graphics
Build a new HTPC with all the bells and whistles

Halp :0
This thread if you want 3D and you then only really have two options:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

And I'm not repeating myself so you need to read this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Notice how they are in the Sticky section for a VERY good reason !
3D will be the killer unless you are happy with HSBS/HTAB content.

If you want 3D MVC (i.e. Full HD 3D and Blu-ray quality) then you will need to look at either a Raspberry Pi 2 (which is the only platform that runs 3D within Kodi properly) or a PC running Windows and an external player solution on an x86 platform that supports 3D MVC and Frame Packed output (at one point only Core i-series models did this, but I think this has changed more recently).

The Pi 2 will losslessly decode HD Audio (apart from 5.1/7.1 192kHz stuff which is rare) - but won't bitstream HD Audio (DD/DTS bitstream fine) and thus won't deliver Atmos.
The Pi 2 will not do 4K.

There are a couple of other Kodi solutions that will play 3D - but they are not without limitations.

There is a sticky thread or two about this at the top of the forum... Worth reading before asking a question that has kind of been answered already.
Build a new HTPC and use AMD A10 +APU.. more powerful and you will not have issue.
(2016-01-14, 20:03)menell Wrote: [ -> ]Build a new HTPC and use AMD A10 +APU.. more powerful and you will not have issue.

Thats a very intresting thought, hmm, wasnt that much price difference on the diffrent models either.
Is there any of them thats more suited than the others among them or should i just go for the "biggest" AMD A10-Series APU A10-7870K with Radeon R7 Graphics?
(2016-01-14, 21:00)matsijatsi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-14, 20:03)menell Wrote: [ -> ]Build a new HTPC and use AMD A10 +APU.. more powerful and you will not have issue.

Thats a very intresting thought, hmm, wasnt that much price difference on the diffrent models either.
Is there any of them thats more suited than the others among them or should i just go for the "biggest" AMD A10-Series APU A10-7870K with Radeon R7 Graphics?

Yeah, buy a power-hungry 95W CPU just to get Blu Ray playback...erm, not, it's not 2011 anymore. Buy a nice little Intel i3 NUC (Skylake) and you'll have 3D Playback under Windows , HD audio bitstreaming , 4K @ 30Hz , what you wanted.

Or the Shield if you can ditch the 3D requirement. Or see the HiMedia Q10 which does 3D MVC via an external player (see here for details : http://i.imgur.com/zfTS4Uk.jpg)
(2016-01-14, 23:00)Soulbind Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, buy a power-hungry 95W CPU just to get Blu Ray playback...erm, not, it's not 2011 anymore. Buy a nice little Intel i3 NUC (Skylake) and you'll have 3D Playback under Windows , HD audio bitstreaming , 4K @ 30Hz , what you wanted.

Or the Shield if you can ditch the 3D requirement. Or see the HiMedia Q10 which does 3D MVC via an external player (see here for details : http://i.imgur.com/zfTS4Uk.jpg)

Hehe, yea it might be overkill Tongue

I though i read that the NUC`s in windows cant bitstream HD sound?

Damn the shield just starts looking really tempting too
(2016-01-14, 23:17)matsijatsi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-14, 23:00)Soulbind Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, buy a power-hungry 95W CPU just to get Blu Ray playback...erm, not, it's not 2011 anymore. Buy a nice little Intel i3 NUC (Skylake) and you'll have 3D Playback under Windows , HD audio bitstreaming , 4K @ 30Hz , what you wanted.

Hehe, yea it might be overkill Tongue

I though i read that the NUC`s in windows cant bitstream HD sound?

Damn the shield just starts looking really tempting too

That's the Chromebox that can't do HD audio on Windows, only Linux. The Braswell and Skylake NUCs don't have this issue.
Yeah, the Shield is a nice machine, fits all your requirements and more (4K @ 60Hz instead of 30 and HDMI 2.0 instead of 1.4 on the NUCs) but lacks 3D MVC support for the moment , have no clue if it will be added since i don't know if it has a hardware decoder built into the SoC.
(2016-01-14, 23:47)Soulbind Wrote: [ -> ]That's the Chromebox that can't do HD audio on Windows, only Linux. The Braswell and Skylake NUCs don't have this issue.
Yeah, the Shield is a nice machine, fits all your requirements and more (4K @ 60Hz instead of 30 and HDMI 2.0 instead of 1.4 on the NUCs) but lacks 3D MVC support for the moment , have no clue if it will be added since i don't know if it has a hardware decoder built into the SoC.

Aha, well thats good to know, altho the NUC are quite expensive compared to the Shield.
But the shield is still sketchy regarding bitstreaming HD sounds and Atmos, at least until 17 gets out, its the only thing that i see as a problem with the shield really.
(2016-01-15, 15:18)matsijatsi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-01-14, 23:47)Soulbind Wrote: [ -> ]That's the Chromebox that can't do HD audio on Windows, only Linux. The Braswell and Skylake NUCs don't have this issue.

Aha, well thats good to know, altho the NUC are quite expensive compared to the Shield.
But the shield is still sketchy regarding bitstreaming HD sounds and Atmos, at least until 17 gets out, its the only thing that i see as a problem with the shield really.

Well, HD audio and Atmos are being worked on for the Shield here : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852 , so you can have it right now, and it's based upon Jarvis, not 17\Krypton. The changes from there will make it too 17 though , and make HD audio "official" on the Shield.
(2016-01-16, 01:16)Soulbind Wrote: [ -> ]Well, HD audio and Atmos are being worked on for the Shield here : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852 , so you can have it right now, and it's based upon Jarvis, not 17\Krypton. The changes from there will make it too 17 though , and make HD audio "official" on the Shield.

No, those changes won't make it v17. HD audio support will officially be added to 17, it just want include the changes made in that test build.
Well i bought a shield Big Grin
But now im having trouble getting it to 24hz, i have set sync in the settings, also put in the advancedsettings xml file with force to 24 still it is showing in 60hz :S
im running this version of kodi kodi-20160110-d071148-adddroidPT-armeabi-v7a.apk
(2016-01-16, 16:01)matsijatsi Wrote: [ -> ]Well i bought a shield Big Grin
But now im having trouble getting it to 24hz, i have set sync in the settings, also put in the advancedsettings xml file with force to 24 still it is showing in 60hz :S
im running this version of kodi kodi-20160110-d071148-adddroidPT-armeabi-v7a.apk

Try a reinstall. You don't need to do the advanced settings bit.