Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stuttering unless OSD is on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2016-12-22, 14:40)runel Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried installing Beta 7 again to try (again) the various video settings in the Kodi front end, but still no joy..

Perhaps somebody could make me an addon which switches on the overlay, but displays nothing..? That should sort my problem and make the video smooth again. :-D

Innovative out-of-the box solution Smile The Fast-setting for Vertical Sync in Nvidia 3D-settings is not the final solution to me either, as in that mode GPU is able to render everything as fast as possible regardless of display refreshrate and achieves that without tearing. In practice everything is in sort of "override" mode and means also extra burden to GPU. For example the Kodi UI flies in over 360 Hz refreshrateSmile
In case you are using NVidia vdpau, you should stay with driver 340. Seems vdpau is considered dead by NVidia and bugs in higher versions won't get fixed.
@FernetMenta: Yes, I am running an old Revo 3610 with vdpau. For what it is worth: I am running "NVIDIA legacy binary driver - version 304.132" .. From what you are saying it seems to be an old driver (and I remember trying a number of them before ending up with this one (issues with tearing)). Im not sure this would explain why it stutters when no OSD/overlay.
The player debug screen (ctrl shift o) does not report any skipped or dropped frames, right?
(2016-12-23, 20:08)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]The player debug screen (ctrl shift o) does not report any skipped or dropped frames, right?

Yes, the player debug screen as a overlay info is the most efficient way to tackle this issue. When this screen is ON, no frames are dropped. Are you into something here?
Do not mix up things. The new debug screen is not really a screen or window and is totally different to the OSD. Bringing up the debug info should not change anything.

Are you saying that the debug info when visible also cure the issue?
(2016-12-23, 20:32)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Do not mix up things. The new debug screen is not really a screen or window and is totally different to the OSD. Bringing up the debug info should not change anything.

Are you saying that the debug info when visible also cure the issue?

Yes, that's what I´m saying Smile
Look at the counters for skip/drop and remember them, then make debug info disappear. Let video player for a minute and bring up the debug info again. Did the counters change?

Could you record your observations and post a link to the video? Please also pastebin debug log of this session.

EDIT: there are many different kinds of stuttering and the video would help me to classify this one.
(2016-12-23, 21:52)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Look at the counters for skip/drop and remember them, then make debug info disappear. Let video player for a minute and bring up the debug info again. Did the counters change?

Could you record your observations and post a link to the video? Please also pastebin debug log of this session.

EDIT: there are many different kinds of stuttering and the video would help me to classify this one.

Here is the debug log first:

http://pastebin.com/HkPf96H7

For this I made a clean install of Kodi 17 Beta 7 and used a local video file to rule out any network related issues. The video starts without Player Debug Screen about ten seconds, then I trigger the debug screen on for another ten seconds and after that debug screen is removed and video runs about 30 seconds. Again the debug screen is activated showing about 150 dropped/skipped frames and after couple of seconds the playing is stopped.

I´ll try to capture the video also later showing how this all looks on the screen.
How much frames were skipped and how much frames were dropped in the period the debug info was not shown?
(2016-12-24, 09:35)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]How much frames were skipped and how much frames were dropped in the period the debug info was not shown?
Here is some additional info from player debug screen:

- When the video starts there is stuttering ongoing, so frames are dropped and skipped the first 10 seconds
- When the player debug screen is triggered -> drop:39, skip:14, pc:1 is shown on debug info. During the time, when this info is on screen no additional frames are skipped/dropped
- When the debug screen is removed, stuttering starts again
- After 30 seconds (about) the debug screen is restored back to screen, stuttering ends and debug info says -> drop:145, skip:87, pc:1
Please enable "sync playback to display" and post log again.
On Windows systems use fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen. This works much better on my Windows test system.
(2016-12-24, 11:27)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Please enable "sync playback to display" and post log again.

OK, I can do that. On the other hand, I have previously also experimented with that setting and it did not help but let's see, what kind info the debug screen will show. Of course the audio bitstreaming will also be lost but that's a different story. By the way, I edited the correct number for the later debug info screen for my last post: the correct skipped frames was of course bigger -> 87 not 8.
(2016-12-24, 11:52)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]On Windows systems use fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen. This works much better on my Windows test system.

Actually, the one contributor to this issue IS True Fullscreen mode. As discussed before, this issue is triggered by combination of three settings in Kodi: True Fullscreen, HW-acceleration ON, Adjust Display Refreshrate = ALWAYS (or start/stop). Just toggling one these OFF, this problem is not seen. But the Fullscreen mode presents other problems, in my case these problematic video files will not stop cleanly, the Kodi-UI will drop to some very low resolution and the whole screen is green. Kodi need to be shutted down and started again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7