Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Release] CBC.ca News
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(2020-04-01, 18:09)kodaksmith Wrote: [ -> ]----- Beginning of file -----

We are appreciating your support in this matter, but there is a reason that we put a text stating "Do not post logs in the forum. Use https: //paste.kodi.tv/ instead." above the Post Reply button.
We don't want unnecessary clutter on our forum server. And since you have already been asked before not to do this, here we are with another piece of code pasted into the forum.

In simple terms: do not post long(er) code snippets into the forum. They will be removed without further notice.
Thank you @Klojum for the work you do to moderate the forums.

I appreciate that logs should not be posted in the forum and I've seen this mentioned on other posts, but I do not recall receiving such a warning myself.

The code snippet I posted was not a log.  In the past I posted code snippets in https://paste.kodi.tv/ but these seem to disappear/expire after a period of time and are not useful for people visiting the forum later.  For example see TVO post #61.

If there is a location where I can post these code snippets that does not expire then I would appreciate if you could point me towards it.

Note that I do not intend to take over this add-on from the original author.
@kodaksmith - You truly are THE MAN!  Thanks again for fixing this add-on so quickly.  Do we know...has t1m abandoned this addon?  Is there a way for someone (kodaksmith Angel ??) to take over the addon?
Have all the local newscasts been lost?  There used to be a menu with Canada and the World.  Now the menu consists of just five shows or is this temporary until the CBC site settles.
(2020-04-01, 19:37)kodaksmith Wrote: [ -> ]The code snippet I posted was not a log.
I'm sure you'll understand that any larger pile of text qualifies when it comes to posting on the forum. Smile

(2020-04-01, 19:37)kodaksmith Wrote: [ -> ]In the past I posted code snippets in https://paste.kodi.tv/ but these seem to disappear/expire after a period of time and are not useful for people visiting the forum later.
Yes, Kodi's paste site does have a ~60 day retaining period as it is intended for kodi logs only. However, there are sites like pastebin.com that can store texts for longer times. It's just a thought.
Thanks @Klojum for the suggestion of pastebin.com.  I will look into using that in the future.

Regarding my unofficial CBCNews add-on updates, the CBC web site navigation appears to be changing almost daily.  I think it best to wait a while to see if the site settles down.
EDIT:  See newer post 92 which supercedes this post.

With the importance of News during these unprecedented times I decided to make another attempt to fix this add-on.

How to Patch CBC News Add-on:

These steps assume CBC News 3.0.2 video add-on already installed.

1. Create replacement plugin.video.cbcnews/resources/lib/scraper.py file.

For example: Open web browser link scraper.py and click raw button, copy contents, paste into text editor, save file with name scraper.py

2. Determine location of Kodi addons folder where plugin.video.cbcnews is installed on Kodi computer.

For example:
    • /storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.cbcnews/ for LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi.
    • ~/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.cbcnews/ for Kodi on Ubuntu.
    Note location of addons folder is similar to userdata folder.

3. Copy new scraper.py file over top of existing plugin.video.cbcnews/resources/lib/scraper.py file.

For example on Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC 8.2.5 use:
    scp -p scraper.py [email protected]:/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.cbcnews/resources/lib/
    Note substitute IP address for your Raspberry Pi (see System -> System Info).

'Hope that helps. :-)
That's great news @kodaksmith.  Where do we get the updated code from?  Did you put it on pastebin.com, edit a previous post or somewhere else.  I look forward to hearing back from you.  Thanks again for updating this addon so often and so quickly - especially since you're not the original developer.

**EDIT - Sorry, I just realized that the words scraper.py in @kodaksmith 's post was a link to the Pastebin.  Thanks one more time.
The pastebin link is the blue "scraper.py" word in the instructions.  I re-worded the instructions to make it more obvious to open the link in a web browser.
Kodak, just wanted to let you know how much your quick fixes and speed and clarity in getting fix information out is appreciated.  And you're right, getting the news is important, so thanks for all that you do and the care that you take and put into it.
(2020-04-02, 18:42)kodaksmith Wrote: [ -> ]With the importance of News during these unprecedented times I decided to make another attempt to fix this add-on.
'Hope that helps. :-) 

Working great! Thanks again for keeping this add-on up to date. Hopefully CBC stops monkeying with their website soon.
Hi all, I just applied @kodaksmith's patch and the error is gone.

However, when I try to start a video, it shows the loading icon and nothing happens.  I checked the logs and I see this:

https://paste.kodi.tv/regurewake.kodi

Could someone help me with this please?  I'm also located in the US with a US IP if it helps.
Isn't CBC geoblocked?
After the video failed to play, did you try to start the video a second or third time?

I've had the video fail to play the first time, but does play successfully the second time.  I suspect that the problem has something to do with the volume of traffic on the Internet.

If that doesn't work then it is certainly possible that CBC is GEO-locked to Canada.
Looks like the add-on is broken again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9