Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Release] CBC.ca News
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This add-on accesses content similar to a web browser.  If you use a web browser to visit the URLs in the add-on then you should see the same shows/episodes listed.  If not then it's possible there is an issue with one of the regular expressions that parses the source of the web page.  The add-on just passes a URL to Kodi to play the show/episode.
@kodaksmith 

I was looking for a way to PM you on this forum, but to no avail.

I'm trying to understand the plugin better as to see how it works by putting a bunch of print statements everywhere in the functions to see what they return:

https://pastebin.com/P49Ra3h8

As you can see on lines 35, 42, 65, 86, 119 and 136.  And I hope that I can use this knowledge to figure out how to write my own plugin in the future for a Global News plugin.

However, I noticed when I cat the logs of:   /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log I do not see any of my "print" statement outputs, despite navigating and clicking around the plugin and using it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Leia has Python 2.x, you're trying to use Python 3 print function. Also make sure you enable debug logging. This thread really isn't.meantbfor development discussions, it's meant for end-user support.
Hey all, I am experiencing some issue with the plugin :/  It has stopped working
Replacement scraper.py file for CBC News v3.0.4. See post 92 - installation instructions.

@sunmoon if you are considering making a PR then note that additional work is required to meet official Kodi add-on standards.
I see these changes. I will apply the fix. There seems to be other issues though where a URL has '-' in it. I'll look into why that is.
A pull request for Version 3.0.5 has been issued for the Kodi.org repo.  The add-on should update in a few days.
This version is a fairly large deviation from the previous version as it cleans up a bunch of logic.
This version uses inputstream.adaptive and uses 1080 resolution, if available.  There is an issue with some subtitles that are vtt. Kodi doesn't process them correctly.
I wasn't able to test some of the live links because they (sports in particular) are geo-locked.
Thank you @learningit for working to further improve this add-on.

I'm testing v3.0.5 and noticed that you were able to add many more categories than I did.  Your coding is much more elegant too.  I even noticed that you got the "News -> LIVE -> CBC News Network" live feed working which I'm sure others will appreciate.  :-)

So far I've only discovered one category which appears to missing.  This is "Life -> CBC Life" which contains some short nature clips and such, that are often entertaining to watch.  With the CBC web site they seem to have multiple ways to get to content, so perhaps I just haven't discovered another path to this category via the add-on.
@kodaksmith Yeah CBC is kind of a sprawling website and a pretty inconsistent interface. I did see some subcategories of subcategories but had done enough to push out an update. The most pleasant surprise was 1080 video for many shows. I'll have another look when I have some time for those missing shows. Some vids were geolocked for me so I just guessed which were working.
For anyone who may have downloaded the cbcnews V3.0.5 from the open PR on Github, you need to download the newly updated PR from Github.
The newest PR fixes the "Life -> CBC Life" issue above and further cleans up the code.

For anyone who didn't download from Github, the add-on will update in a few days after the PR is accepted by the kodi.org repo.
Thank you again @learningit for adding the "Live -> CBC Live" link to the CBC News add-on.  Each link that I've tested with this latest PR has worked including the Olympic Sports links which are from prior Olympic games.  Great work!
(2020-06-14, 18:57)learningit Wrote: [ -> ]For anyone who may have downloaded the cbcnews V3.0.5 from the open PR on Github, you need to download the newly updated PR from Github.
The newest PR fixes the "Life -> CBC Life" issue above and further cleans up the code.

For anyone who didn't download from Github, the add-on will update in a few days after the PR is accepted by the kodi.org repo.
I'm a little at a loss as to how to download the plugin, I got to here but don't know how to find the link to download.  I'm anxious to see what you have done
@barney63 you are almost there.  The PR contains the "Files changed" since the previous release.  You can view and download the changed files (such as scraper.py) from the PR and place these in the appropriate add-on location on your Kodi box, similar to instructions that I pointed out earlier in this thread.
(2020-06-14, 19:40)kodaksmith Wrote: [ -> ]@barney63 you are almost there.  The PR contains the "Files changed" since the previous release.  You can view and download the changed files (such as scraper.py) from the PR and place these in the appropriate add-on location on your Kodi box, similar to instructions that I pointed out earlier in this thread.
Hey thanks for the help, as I'm no expert sometimes i get a little lost, in some of this.  GitHub can be a mystery to some of us amateurs if the download link isn't obvious  So, if I'm understanding this correctly I would copy and replace scraper.py and addon.xml?
As the old saying goes "teach a man to fish"... thanks guys, I'm learning.
(2020-06-14, 19:40)kodaksmith Wrote: [ -> ]@barney63 you are almost there.  The PR contains the "Files changed" since the previous release.  You can view and download the changed files (such as scraper.py) from the PR and place these in the appropriate add-on location on your Kodi box, similar to instructions that I pointed out earlier in this thread.
Hey thanks for the help, as I'm no expert sometimes i get a little lost, in some of this.  GitHub can be a mystery to some of us amateurs if the download link isn't obvious  So, if I'm understanding this correctly I would copy and replace scraper.py and addon.xml?

As the old saying goes "teach a man to fish"... thanks guys, I'm learning.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9