Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Release] CBC.ca News
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Yup, can confirm.
EDIT:  See newer CBC News 3.0.4 official add-on which supercedes this post.

Thanks @huntman and @sunmoon for the heads up that the add-on was broken.  'Looks like CBC changed their web site again.

How to Patch CBC News Add-on:

These steps assume CBC News 3.0.2 video add-on already installed.

1. Create replacement plugin.video.cbcnews/resources/lib/scraper.py file.

For example: Open web browser link scraper.py and click raw button, copy contents, paste into text editor, save file with name scraper.py

2. Determine location of Kodi addons folder where plugin.video.cbcnews is installed on Kodi computer.

For example:
    • /storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.cbcnews/ for LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi.
    • ~/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.cbcnews/ for Kodi on Ubuntu.
    Note location of addons folder is similar to userdata folder.

3. Copy new scraper.py file over top of existing plugin.video.cbcnews/resources/lib/scraper.py file.

For example on Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC 8.2.5 use:
    scp -p scraper.py [email protected]:/storage/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.cbcnews/resources/lib/
    Note substitute IP address for your Raspberry Pi (see System -> System Info).

'Hope that helps. :-)
Another quick response from @kodaksmith with another fix.  Thanks again!!!!!
@kodaksmith

Thank you!

By the way, mis this on github somewhere?
(2020-04-29, 21:36)sunmoon Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, mis this on github somewhere?

No, these changes are not on github.  I have no intention of taking over the add-on from the original author.  I've only been updating the scraper.py file.
Anyways, you're a life saver.  With your permission, can I take your scraper.py file and make a PR on github?  I will link back to your thread containing your code.
@sunmoon the scraper.py file I contributed is licensed the same as the CBC.ca News add-on (GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE. Version 2, June 1991).  I neither seek, nor desire credit for these small edits.  If you wish to create a PR then you should take the credit for the PR.
Anyone who wants to submit a PR to the cbcnews add-on can currently do so at this branch in my git:
https://github.com/learningit/repo-plugi...ews-3.0.2/

Just fork my repo, select the krypton-plugin.video.cbcnews-3.0.2 branch and add your changes to the plugin.video.cbcnews folder.
I will credit anyone who does so. As I've explained earlier, I no longer am able to test Canadian add-ons from where I am.
(2020-05-01, 21:22)sunmoon Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go! https://github.com/learningit/repo-plugins/pull/1
Ok. I cleaned up some stuff in the addon.xml, bumped the version to 3.0.4 and created a pull reqest for the kodi.org repo.

https://github.com/xbmc/repo-plugins/pull/2878

Thanks for your contribution!
The source given in the PR required fairly extensive changes to be accepted into the kodi.org repo. All text strings had to be converted into .po strings, the use of one of the infolist items to store captions in, hack or not, unacceptable. There was also some cleanup in the addon.xml for Krypton that Travis is a bit picky on. Hopefully little or no changes will be needed again before acceptance in the kodi.org repo.

i would strongly recommend that anyone doing changes clone the add-on again or rebase.
Thanks @learningit for the CBC News 3.0.4 update.  I tested on Kodi Krypton 17.6 and it worked well.

> i would strongly recommend that anyone doing changes clone the add-on again or rebase.

Done.
BTW, I gave credit to 'evan' as the patch author which was the git name on the PR. If that's not correct let me know and I'll fix it.
> BTW, I gave credit to 'evan' ...

That's Okay with me.  :-)
Thanks all for the effort to making this work in such a fast way.

@kodaksmith By the way, since you're the only one actively fixing this application, I was wondering if you are able to shed some insight on what your code those, what it scrapes and what it outputs.  That way, if you are too swamped, I can help out as well?

Furthermore, while the app is working, I do notice some strange behaviour.  For example, on some days, the 6 o'clock news is missing.  I would have news from May 9th, then nothing on the 10th and 11th, and only have some more news show up on May 12th, yesterday.  

For me, I do not know if I will get news.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9