Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Eiji Wrote:I just tried to convert a 720p MKV with meGUI/AviSynth and JPSiemers profile under Vista x64. I also checked the wiki and did everything correct.

Its my first time encoding/re-encoding a movie file. My PC has a Core 2 Duo 3.3GHz Processor, 4GB of RAM and a Nvidia 8800GT 512MB card.

The problem is that movies take so long to encode, over 6 hours for a 1hr 30min movie.

Is this normal?

Yes.
Eiji Wrote:I just tried to convert a 720p MKV with meGUI/AviSynth and JPSiemers profile under Vista x64. I also checked the wiki and did everything correct.

Its my first time encoding/re-encoding a movie file. My PC has a Core 2 Duo 3.3GHz Processor, 4GB of RAM and a Nvidia 8800GT 512MB card.

The problem is that movies take so long to encode, over 6 hours for a 1hr 30min movie.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Unforunately as you've found, video encoding (especially with more advanced codecs) is very processor intensive and can take a long time.
Ok, thanks for the answer guys.
Hey JP, thanks for the tip on turning off the deblocker. I had some files encoded in H.264 which were jerky on titles/action (Futurama) and unwatchable (Firefly) but now they're near perfect.
wanting to do my own.

ok, so ive followed the guide exactly for a scene rip.

im testing on a sample so that i will know if it will play on the xbox first.

but the thing is, it is very pixelated and the audio is very late.

what am i doing wrong?
r3skyline Wrote:wanting to do my own.

ok, so ive followed the guide exactly for a scene rip.

im testing on a sample so that i will know if it will play on the xbox first.

but the thing is, it is very pixelated and the audio is very late.

what am i doing wrong?

You haven't provided me any information so I can only guess at this point.

If it's very pixelated then you are using the wrong settings, you are using a really low resolution, or your source file is really bad quality.

If the audio is late then you set a delay on the audio when you shouldn't have.

You can check the settings and resolution of the output file by running it through MediaInfo. Audio delay can be fixed with MKVMerge GUI.
well i wouldve assumed that me following the guide was enough info XD.

im using a source from TL 720p. WALL-E 720p BluRay x264-iNFAMOUS

trying to get it to 720x304 as on the chart.

using the provided settings as linked in the first post. the xbox settings HIres
r3skyline Wrote:well i wouldve assumed that me following the guide was enough info XD.

im using a source from TL 720p. WALL-E 720p BluRay x264-iNFAMOUS

trying to get it to 720x304 as on the chart.

using the provided settings as linked in the first post. the xbox settings HIres

Sorry, can't help you. Following the guide produces the exact same results across the board. Your best bet at this point is to ask around at the MeGUI forum since it seems to be an issue you might be having with MeGUI.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96032
When I re-encode a video file with AC3 audio with Aften-AC3 or even MP3, the audio plays in slow motion after the whole thing is muxed.

Any reason why this is happening?

EDIT: Figured it out. Turns out I was using an older version of ac3filter so updated it and all is fine!
I have a question.

Is it better to encode with 640x320 with 1798 bitrate or 720x400 with 1278 bitrate?
Eiji Wrote:I have a question.

Is it better to encode with 640x320 with 1798 bitrate or 720x400 with 1278 bitrate?

That's a great question. It's a trade off between higher quality/lower rez or lower quality/higher rez. However, I generally go with the higher rez because I'm watching everything on a 60" 720P LCD HDTV, and I usually have no quality complaints.

Also, keep in mind that 1798 is a pretty high bitrate for such a low rez... those values in the chart are maximum bitrates and are only in place as a safeguard so people do not go over them. You could probably achieve lossless quality at ~1500 if you are going for 640x320.
This is the first time using your tutorial and I am really bad with all this DAR and aspect ratios for movies. When I encode a dvd I am always busting out a calculator trying to make sure the file stays in the correct aspect ratio. For example, it says on the wiki that if your film has horizontal bars to choose a width of 704 instead of 720. So I choose this value. However, the suggested size of the film then is 704 x 288 for a 2.35 DVD NTSC movie. This is a ratio of 2.44, which is not 2.35. What I normally do is change the size to something like 704 x 304, but I don't know if this is correct? In addition, when I was configuring the bit rates for the encoder, I was not sure what values I was supposed to set it from the chart. Since I went with the 704 x 288 resolution, it looks like I was supposed to set the bit rate to 1816, however, the suggested bit rate is 1362 - but that is for a 704 x 384 size movie?

As you can tell, i am rather confused. I saw one post that said it doesnt matter what you set the size of the video because the DAR will correct this...
Okay, I'm assuming that you have cropped your video already. You can go for 704 in the width, but I usually go for 720 just for goodness sake. Now, with everything you did, you did correctly. When you choose 704, the height will be different as well. 704 / 2.35 = 300 whereas 720 / 2.35 = 306. Now in this case, I would handpick it out as 704x304 or 720x304 due to mod16.

Then with that resolution, just put down the bitrate that JPSiemer suggested, which is 1682 or 1720. IMO, I think its overkill. I would suggest 1500 as it maintain its quality VERY well, not only that but it'll eliminate any frame skipping from a very complex scene.

Now to the point where it doesn't matter about the size of video. It work in a specific way where DVDplayer/Mplayer in XBMC will correct the video to its corrected AR due to the DAR that was flagged on it.

You can flag the video's DAR by when you load the .avs file in the video input and the picture pop up, just select the correct DAR in the bar at bottom, and then just close it and it will remember its DAR.

Feel free to ask any question if you are confused.

PS. I don't usually do the last step, I use MKVmerge instead, I found it much easier than MeGUI.
In the past, I have used meGUI for encoding dvd films. During that time, I did encode multiple films without any problems, however, I did run into a couple of films where the audio would just never in sync with the video. I found that these videos had contained bad/"dummy" chains (if this is the correct term) that are put in the film on purpose to cause a problem. Since then, I began using FairuseWizard to encode my dvds into an XviD format. I found that it encoding the film at a quick rate with a decent picture quality. These files would contain AC3 audio and could be played by both my old xbox and the newer 360. In addition, any of the films that gave me grief with audio before were corrected after using this application. One other plus was the ability to add forced subtitles to the video. I am not sure if this available when encoding to H.264?

What brings me back to this thread is that I want to begin using blu ray discs as a source. I am also very close to getting parts for a xbmc linux pc to replace my old xbox. Because of this, I know the .mkv format is important to HD encoding. I know this "how-to" only is written for the xbox, but I wanted to try this method to learn a similar process to gain more of an understanding.
I have never really experienced any bad/"dummy" video. What kind of ripping solution did you use?

Yeah, the only difference between powerhouse linux (Assuming your computer have dual-core, etc.) and xbox is that you can set the bitrate at 5000 and make it 1280x*** and your computer should play it without any problem! Not only that, but you don't have to use XBOX's x264 configure that was given in the guide. You can just use some of the x264 configure that were update altogether with the MeGUI. It'll cut some time encoding the video compared to XBOX's configure.

I checked the FairUse Wizard website and I think it does support x264, but it will not be playable by XBOX (my guess), thus which is the reason of this thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25