Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
I thought it was AC3 only.

I would rather to keep them in AC3 at 448 bitrate to keep video size down though.

So, like I say, you could use RipBot264 or MKVExtractGUI to extract those audio.
I'll have to try MKVExtract then... RipBot doesn't do XviD that I could tell...

And yes, it does pass through on DTS... I've verified it.
Oh.

XviD, lol. 720p, 24 frames... I understand...

Darn it. Another loss for h264 community!!! Sad

I just don't like big file size.

Although, you are using MeGUI? For XviD encoding? I THINK there is some way to extract audio. I'll have to poke around. Or are you using XVID4PSP?
Nope, I use MeGUI (or prefer to anyway) that's why I posted here in this thread, even though I'm using the XviD codec. I'm not crazy about XviD4PSP... not yet anyway. I did a test encode of a x264 mkv clip from BOLT, and it had a couple anomalies in the video. Still testing though. I got a response to this question on doom9, and the guy said there are tools built in to MeGUI to do the audio extraction... in the tools menu. Don't remember the name of the tool, and now I can't get in to doom9.
I just love MeGUI... who doesn't?? Smile (It's still my preferred choice no matter what...)

That's funny.

I have BOLT as well, and in dark scene or somewhat like that there would be a lot of anomalies in it, what I realized was that the TV's brightness was too high. So I turned it down and tweaked it until the picture looked VERY crispy and better!

It helps!

Take a look at two encoded video I made up above and tell me how it look on your TV. Cuz for me, it look just fine!

Edit : Hey, try the HD Streams Extractor... I'm at my girlfriend's house, using her laptop... cannot test.
This was the response from the guy on doom9:
Quote:Demux the audio from the original file with AVIMuxGUI (for AVIs) or MKVMerge (MKVs), remux with the newly encoded video. Both programs come with MeGUI - check the tools folder.
sion28 Wrote:This was the response from the guy on doom9:

He's referring to the actual folder inside the MeGUI directory... not in the actual program itself.

For instance, navigate to: C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools
JPSiemer Wrote:He's referring to the actual folder inside the MeGUI directory... not in the actual program itself.

For instance, navigate to: C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools

Thanks, JPS.

OT: Apparently it's not possible to mux a DTS sound track with an XviD video into an AVI container, using meGUI. I find this hard to believe, but haven't be able to do it successfully yet, which is surprising, given that other encoding GUIs can do it (XviD4psp, SUPER), and meGUI is generally the gold-standard.

I wonder why this is?
Does anyone have a template for a pre tweaked encode with h264. As well as good bitrate and resolution to not over do it but play fine. Thanks.
gavo Wrote:Does anyone have a template for a pre tweaked encode with h264. As well as good bitrate and resolution to not over do it but play fine. Thanks.

Me too. Seems like a I several that are too heavy to play correctly.
Same here as well. I tried using iso files but they drop frames as well. I know its not the network connection because it streams fine on my netbook. The xbox cpu just can't handle it. Is there just a simple solution out there? I tried avi and it helped a little but it has the same problem. (IE it would drop frames if there is a lot of action happening at once)
Theres heaps of info on it.... check out "720p on your Xbox" and "encoding H264 for playback on Xbox" in this section and the How too's section.

Its a little hard to follow the threads as they're huge but as far as I remember someones just written a easier "how too"
jbalicki10 Wrote:Same here as well. I tried using iso files but they drop frames as well. I know its not the network connection because it streams fine on my netbook. The xbox cpu just can't handle it. Is there just a simple solution out there? I tried avi and it helped a little but it has the same problem. (IE it would drop frames if there is a lot of action happening at once)

Something's wrong if you can't play DVD iso files on your Xbox. A dvd ripped to iso should be no more difficult to play for the xbox cpu than a physical DVD in the dvd drive (assuming your dvd drive works, which mine doesn't!!)

EDIT: and when I say "can't play" I mean, "can't play without dropped frames". Since my dvd drive is dead, iso rips are the ONLY way I watch dvd's anymore. The xbox handles them just fine.
gavo Wrote:Does anyone have a template for a pre tweaked encode with h264. As well as good bitrate and resolution to not over do it but play fine. Thanks.

Geeba mentioned these threads. Here are the direct links:

H.264 encoding of DVD's for xbox

Re-encoding HD x264/mkv files to 720p XviD so they play well on the xbox
sion28 Wrote:Something's wrong if you can't play DVD iso files on your Xbox. A dvd ripped to iso should be no more difficult to play for the xbox cpu than a physical DVD in the dvd drive (assuming your dvd drive works, which mine doesn't!!)

I second that.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by needing "a template for a pre tweaked encode with h264"... As far as I am concerned, the settings specified in this thread have been tweaked over and over and are now very accurate for most movies. If you are still experiencing stutter with your movies, you should make sure you are using AC3 or OGG audio and make sure you are using the recommended bitrates for the video. And the only way to ensure 0% stutter in high action movies is to lower the bitrate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25