Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live 9.04.1 released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
New XBMC Live release: XBMC Live 9.04.1

Updated: newer NVIDIA drivers here.

Before going on, check the Wiki FAQ on XBMC Live.

Details about the release:

* Based on Ubuntu Jaunty
* NVIDIA drivers: 180.44 (VDPAU included on supported GPUs)
* ATI/AMD drivers: Catalyst 9.4
* Intel drivers: default xorg
* Natively supports MCEUSB remotes
* Uses duduke's great "black" usplash theme!
* New installer script that allows building of XBMCLive USB bootable disks from any Ubuntu-based system without the need of burning a CD and booting from it.
* new boot script automatically increasing the system audio volume
* New install to HDD method: the installer creates a standard Ubuntu system on the target disk (a kind of XBMCbuntu... Nod )
* The installer can now treat fixed disks as removable disks, vital for systems where compact flash disks are used. (New in this release)

Finally, the XBMC repositories sources are already configured and topfs2's cool script "Aptitude" is included, so updating XBMC to follow the new releases will hopefully be easy!

Wiki references:

Building the ISO image -
Configuring XBMC Live -
Building restricted drivers for XBMC Live

A quick TOC of what has been already asked:

Login to underlining OS: here
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?: here
Is Microsoft's MCE Remote the only remote that works in XBMC Live?: here
Live (HDD install) - Resume from Standby: here
AutoBoot settings for XBMC Live USB?: here - note that this release uses GRUB so info here are not 100% accurate
Backup XBMC Live USB in windows: here
FTP access to Live: here
XBMC live volume output too low: here
Disable CPU throttling: here
Building a XBMC Live USB without burning a CD on Windows: here
Manually updating an existing XBMC Live on HDD: here
How do I save alsamixer settings on XBMC Live?: here
How to mount hard disk drives on XBMC Live: here
Hi,

Still black screen (with NOTHING - I mean it is like screen is completely OFF) when choosing "Intel GPU" on my EEETop computer... It's the same still XBMC live 8.10/9.04 and 9.04.1
When choosing Intel GPU safe mode, I got a xbmc login/password entry. But when I ask for "install --help", I can not find what to write to install it to my USB stick as I can not read the start of the help page Blush
Question #1 : Can somebody tell me what is the correct command line to write to install it on the stick, please ?

I tried Ubuntu 9.04 and I got the livecd working (even if I am not able to install it on my USB stick...).
After reading this French page the guy say that driver of "Jaunty Jackalope" supports this Intel GPU...
Question #2 : Can you tell me what is different from XBMC_live and Ubuntu regarding the Intel driver ?
Question #3 : Is there any 9.04.2 release planed to include the "new" (or at least working") driver for EEETop users ? (See libdrm2_2.4.4-1build1_i386.deb and xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.6.1_i386.deb. The guy say that you must respect this order to install those.

Finally, the guy say that "xorg.conf" should be edited to match exactly its working xorg.conf EVEN with ubuntu 9.04.
As I was able to install XBMC_Live 9.04 on my USB stick, I tried to localize the "xorg.conf" to modify it. But I was not able to find itEek
Question #4 : Where can I find it ?

As the EEETop is shipped with a touch screen, I made some modifications on windows *.xml files to be "touch" friendly.
Question #5 : Is there any way to RE-use my modified files or create a new set of modified pages (including "Back" button, at least?)

Thank you in advance

Additionnal informations on the EEETop
Atom processor N270 (1,6 Ghz)
1 Gb of Ram
Internal sata hard drive 160 Gb
External USB Stick to install XBMC : 8 Gb by Emtec (bootable)
Video GPU : 945 GSE
southbridge : ICH7M

Ho, by the way, you can add in your listing that crossfading is working again with Flac files on Windows setup Wink It was crashing XBMC everytime I activated it with 9.04.
[post deleted]
I installed XBMC Live on my systeem so I no longer need the cd/usb anymore. Is there still a way to update from 9.04 to 9.0.4.1?

I fixed it with this command:

sudo apt-get update
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
erhnam, do you still have the stuttering problems with 9.04.1 ?
Good job! Where can I find more info on 'Natively supports MCEUSB remotes'?
LoloMc² Wrote:Hi,

Still black screen (with NOTHING - I mean it is like screen is completely OFF) when choosing "Intel GPU" on my EEETop computer... It's the same still XBMC live 8.10/9.04 and 9.04.1
When choosing Intel GPU safe mode, I got a xbmc login/password entry. But when I ask for "install --help", I can not find what to write to install it to my USB stick as I can not read the start of the help page Blush
Question #1 : Can somebody tell me what is the correct command line to write to install it on the stick, please ?

I tried Ubuntu 9.04 and I got the livecd working (even if I am not able to install it on my USB stick...).
After reading this French page the guy say that driver of "Jaunty Jackalope" supports this Intel GPU...

I basically had the same problem with the LiveCD. The only way I was able to get it working was through this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

The problem is that x-windows is working and XBMC is running fine but there's a problem with the Intel Graphics driver in Ubuntu Jaunty (which this is based on). You can try to get the live CD to work following the guide above but you're best bet is to install to the HD and then installing the updated drivers etc.

I eventually just installed Xubuntu on my system, upgraded the drivers and install XBMC on that.

Am I the only person that's having this problem with Intel?
I am curious how suspend to ram is handled in the live distro.

I am running a P5N7A-VM with an Intel Pentium E5200.
All is fine, VDPAU works great etc etc.

I can send the system to S3 once and wake it up again without any problem.
Then, the second time, the system will try to suspend but returns then to XBMC app. Next time I try to suspend will end in XBMC exiting but the system is still alive, e.g. the fan is still running (haven't checked to ping it yet, will try it).

Then, I power off the system by pressing the power button for 5 secs.
But turning it on again won't show up the system booting but instead doing nothing.

I have to unplug the power and after repluggin I will be able to start up the system normally.

Any hints what might be wrong?

Markus
I have the same board and suffer the exact same problem with live 9.04.1. I tried to fix it for a bit but got fed up. I ended up installing a jaunty desktop then installing xbmc-live from the ppa. This removes gdm and boots straight to xbmc just as the live install does. Suspend now works as it should. Its a bit of a pain in the ass so i also would like to find a solution for the live install. Btw i got suspend to work with the 9.04 release when i was trying to wake from suspend from my remote. The problem is i searched for so long and tried different methods, i cant remember what i did the get it working. Laugh

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:I have the same board and suffer the exact same problem with live 9.04.1. I tried to fix it for a bit but got fed up. I ended up installing a jaunty desktop then installing xbmc-live from the ppa. This removes gdm and boots straight to xbmc just as the live install does. Suspend now works as it should. Its a bit of a pain in the ass so i also would like to find a solution for the live install. Btw i got suspend to work with the 9.04 release when i was trying to wake from suspend from my remote. The problem is i searched for so long and tried different methods, i cant remember what i did the get it working. Laugh

cheers

Funny thing.
The reason why I am writing here is that I setup a minimal sytem myself where all worked fine, even suspend/resume (by pressing the power button, I modified it to call the sleep script).
From one day to another it stopped working.

So I tried the Live one but the same problem.

I am still adding some debug infos to all the scripts in /etc/acpi to find out what happens.

I will post any update if I find out something.

Markus
mulder77de Wrote:Funny thing.
The reason why I am writing here is that I setup a minimal sytem myself where all worked fine, even suspend/resume (by pressing the power button, I modified it to call the sleep script).
From one day to another it stopped working.

So I tried the Live one but the same problem.

I am still adding some debug infos to all the scripts in /etc/acpi to find out what happens.

I will post any update if I find out something.

Markus

Nice one. Im going to give it another go tomorrow. I will also post if i find something interesting.

cheers.
I tried your tip myself and voila: XBMC suspends/resumes fine as an XBMC Live install to a default desktop installation.

Now the question: What does XBMC call when 'Suspend' is chosen from power off menu (where also 'Info', 'Shutdown' and 'Eject' etc. are located)?

Markus
Thats more skin dependent i think. Have a look at this thread for more detail. Tbh its prob something simple l.capriotti can fix. Atleast i hope so Smile

Edit: @ l.capriotti, another thing i noticed is that in the 9.04.1 release, using the "exit" xbmc from the shutdown menu doesn't give a login prompt. This is a problem when using a logitech dinovo keyboard as it doesn't have function keys. Obviously the changes to the 9.04.1 release have caused this. Just wondering if there is something I could do to rectify this. Btw thanks for all your work on the live distro. Smile

cheers.
harryzimm Wrote:Thats more skin dependent i think. Have a look at this thread for more detail. Tbh its prob something simple l.capriotti can fix. Atleast i hope so Smile

OK, thanks for the link, very interesting.
Now I am able to reconfigure the power button event in XBMC. Might be helpful (I want the system to suspend by pressing power without asking any questions).

What really would help me, is to know, what functions/scripts/events are called when XBMC causes a suspend from the system point of view. Because this seems to be reliable upon a desktop + XBMC Live installation. If I can investigate into this, I will probably find out what is wrong in my minimal setup.

Anyone?

Markus
mulder77de Wrote:What really would help me, is to know, what functions/scripts/events are called when XBMC causes a suspend from the system point of view. Because this seems to be reliable upon a desktop + XBMC Live installation. If I can investigate into this, I will probably find out what is wrong in my minimal setup.

Anyone?

Markus

Still running 9.04 live here but I had issues with suspend/resume so I ended up editing "/usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/pm-action" to fix my issues. Although not the same I just thought this may help point you in the right direction.

Looking at "/var/log/pm-suspend.log" may help you diagnose your problems also.

Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5