Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
SleepyP Wrote:Would sticking a zipped copy of the files involved up on a site like MediaFire and then linking to that from the forums violate the forum rules? If I understand the copyright laws correctly, the hosting liability would be MediaFire's, not XBMC.org's, since the files aren't hosted here. In the USA under the DMCA MediaFire would have to receive a takedown notice and would then be responsible for removing the copyrighted material. Nothing to do with the folks over on XBMC.org. Or would it be OK to link to a site that in turn links to the files? Just trying to find a way to make this easier for people without breaking forum rules.

I think we'd have to ask a mod i don't mind doing it infact i had to for a mate but i wouldn't want to go against the forum rules here
Yeah me neither. It just seems kinda ridiculous that these people are having to go set up a full VM rig just to generate a couple of relatively small files. The jailbreak process is confusing enough without that extra layer of issues to handle...
SleepyP Wrote:Yeah me neither. It just seems kinda ridiculous that these people are having to go set up a full VM rig just to generate a couple of relatively small files. The jailbreak process is confusing enough without that extra layer of issues to handle...

Tell me about it. Been trying for 2 days and can't the darn VM to work for me.:confused2:
SleepyP Wrote:Would sticking a zipped copy of the files involved up on a site like MediaFire and then linking to that from the forums violate the forum rules? If I understand the copyright laws correctly, the hosting liability would be MediaFire's, not XBMC.org's, since the files aren't hosted here. In the USA under the DMCA MediaFire would have to receive a takedown notice and would then be responsible for removing the copyrighted material. Nothing to do with the folks over on XBMC.org. Or would it be OK to link to a site that in turn links to the files? Just trying to find a way to make this easier for people without breaking forum rules.
If this was my forum (i own sdx-developers.com which has a whole different legal issue due to the nature of rooting android) I would be (and my policy IS) 100% against this exact concept. You put the site owners and hosts in a legal situation by making illegal content avalible by advertisement on this forum. Even if the information isnt contained on this server. This is an ongoing legal issue between torrent trackers and the defendents.

The best way to not put the XBMC forum in a bad light or go against policy would be to just package the few files and throw it up on a torrent site.
No need for links, no need to mention where it is.
Just mention here that the files are on a torrent and people will find them.
donrosco,
If you have the actual custom firmware, simply open it up and extract the following files (BTW, for those using Seas0nPass, the custom firmware created by the software can be found in your home directory):

dfu/iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu
kernelcache.release.k66

To open the .ipsw file in Windows, simply rename the .ipsw extension to .zip instead.

Then use the following Tethered Boot Utility for windows

With the tetheredboot tool and the two extracted files in the same folder, open up the command prompt and type in the following command:

tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

Connect your ATV2 via USB to your computer and also plug in the power cable. Put it in DFU mode by holding down both the menu and play/pause button for 7secs. The tethered boot program should take over once it detects the ATV2. Let it complete, then remove the USB cable so you can plug in your HDMI cable.

You can read this thread for more complete instructions on the entire process.

Good luck.

-Dazex
Thanks for the clarification there dazex, I think I understand the method a bit better now. I got it up and running anyway, and now i'm thrilled to be back in XBMC land after retiring my old xbox some time ago. Can't wait to see the improvements the devs will conjure up.
After about 4 hours of reading and playing, I got my new ATV2 jaibroke and XBMC installed. Unfortunately, I have to say that I'm a little unimpressed. I had to install Nito (that was the only way I could get XBMC to install). How do you change the resolution? All I see in the settings is 1280x720. My TV is a first generation plasma and the resolution is 764 I think? The picture looks horrible.

Thanks
willise Wrote:After about 4 hours of reading and playing, I got my new ATV2 jaibroke and XBMC installed. Unfortunately, I have to say that I'm a little unimpressed. I had to install Nito (that was the only way I could get XBMC to install). How do you change the resolution? All I see in the settings is 1280x720. My TV is a first generation plasma and the resolution is 764 I think? The picture looks horrible.

Thanks

A large percent of XBMC code was not commited to the original release branch. This was apperently intentional to decrease the user test code for debugging. Davilla and others have already stated this was to minimize possible conflicts that could cause other problems just to get the general base working.. then they would start integrating other stuff in...
Thanks Numus,

That makes sense.

Any idea if I can uninstall Nito without losing XBMC now?
willise Wrote:Thanks Numus,

That makes sense.

Any idea if I can uninstall Nito without losing XBMC now?

IDK about not losing XBMC.. but you dont have to install NITO to install XBMC..

Was the problem something about awkwardtv or something?
If so i asked them to add this to the wiki but still havent gotten a response
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=699...stcount=44
The error was something like

/org/xbmc/ is not available

Does that make sense?
willise Wrote:The error was something like

/org/xbmc/ is not available

Does that make sense?

Ok.. I dont know if you are familiar with Terminal/SSH but one of the biggest mistakes you can make is copy and paste... Sometimes characters get converted to other characters without you noticied... Type in all the commands and verify they are EXACTLY as they read on the wiki.. sounds like something with the repo got inputted wrong
I will try again, if I have to. I did a C/P just to get the spaces in the right position.

Can I uninstall Nito or do I have to restore and do it all again?
willise Wrote:I will try again, if I have to. I did a C/P just to get the spaces in the right position.

Can I uninstall Nito or do I have to restore and do it all again?

Should be able to uninstall nito... The SSH files are in the firmware
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27