Kodi Community Forum
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio (/showthread.php?tid=221407)

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-05-03

(2016-05-03, 17:33)KILLERNADS Wrote: Is there any major differences between the two? According to the front page, they sound quite similar. The only main differences that i can find is that the Q10 Pro has some early firmware problems that will most likely be fixed with an update. However, the price seems its a lot cheaper for the Q10 Pro. Where the Q10 Pro is i think £150, the Skylake looks to be around £300!

Is the Q10 Pro a better option out of the two? and more future proof etc...
I'd say so as Q10 Pro has HDR, and from what I understand, Kodi being able to support it is very far off, not to mention Intel needing to support it first. Q10 Pro also has Dolby Vision, so you're covered for any 4K 10-bit material in that competing format vs. HDR.

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - KILLERNADS - 2016-05-03

(2016-05-03, 17:54)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 17:33)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 16:16)movie78 Wrote: I will suggest Himedia Q10 Pro or Intel Skylake NUC

Some BD Menu works in Kodi

Is there any major differences between the two? According to the front page, they sound quite similar. The only main differences that i can find is that the Q10 Pro has some early firmware problems that will most likely be fixed with an update. However, the price seems its a lot cheaper for the Q10 Pro. Where the Q10 Pro is i think £150, the Skylake looks to be around £300!

What is the most important feature for you 1-4 in order?
3D MVC
BD-MENU
NETFLIX UHD

Right, thats a tricky question Smile

4K plus Dolby Atmos / DTSX
3D MVC / Bluray from ISO
Netflix UHD (Ideally would like this but can decide to keep my nvidia shield instead and use this on that)
BD-Menu (not required, so least important but would be good to have)

Thanks!

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - movie78 - 2016-05-03

(2016-05-03, 18:53)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 17:54)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 17:33)KILLERNADS Wrote: Is there any major differences between the two? According to the front page, they sound quite similar. The only main differences that i can find is that the Q10 Pro has some early firmware problems that will most likely be fixed with an update. However, the price seems its a lot cheaper for the Q10 Pro. Where the Q10 Pro is i think £150, the Skylake looks to be around £300!

What is the most important feature for you 1-4 in order?
3D MVC
BD-MENU
NETFLIX UHD

3D MVC / Bluray from ISO
Netflix UHD (Ideally would like this but can decide to keep my nvidia shield instead and use this on that)

Thanks!

4K plus Dolby Atmos / DTSX HIMEDIA Q10 PRO
3D MVC / Bluray from ISO[/b]
HIMEDIA Q10 PRO & Intel Base HW w/@afedchin Build (Also DTS:X and ATMOS)
Netflix UHD (Ideally would like this but can decide to keep my nvidia shield instead and use this on that) Nvidia Sheild
BD-Menu (not required, so least important but would be good to have) Some BD-Menu works Intel Base HW w/@afedchin Build

Now the choice is in your hands, I know it's not easyLaugh

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - Stereodude - 2016-05-04

(2016-05-03, 16:15)hdmkv Wrote: Hmm, I think it should work for MVC. Why not download the latest MVC build, make the proper settings and just try it?
He's running Windows 7. If Kodi is using Direct3D to output frame packed 3D, it won't work. I don't know if Kodi uses Direct3D or not. Based on your own thread you linked two it's Windows 8 and 10 only right?

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-05-04

Listen to @Stereodude and do free upgrade to Win10 first Smile. Forgot 'bout that lil' detail.

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - KILLERNADS - 2016-05-04

(2016-05-03, 19:04)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 18:53)KILLERNADS Wrote:
(2016-05-03, 17:54)movie78 Wrote: What is the most important feature for you 1-4 in order?
3D MVC
BD-MENU
NETFLIX UHD

3D MVC / Bluray from ISO

Thanks!

4K plus Dolby Atmos / DTSX HIMEDIA Q10 PRO
3D MVC / Bluray from ISO[/b]
HIMEDIA Q10 PRO & Intel Base HW w/@afedchin Build (Also DTS:X and ATMOS)
Netflix UHD (Ideally would like this but can decide to keep my nvidia shield instead and use this on that) Nvidia Sheild
BD-Menu (not required, so least important but would be good to have) Some BD-Menu works Intel Base HW w/@afedchin Build

Now the choice is in your hands, I know it's not easyLaugh

Right okay, i think the answer and winner is more then likely HiMedia Q10 Pro along with keeping the nVidia Shield Big Grin

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - KILLERNADS - 2016-05-04

(2016-05-04, 01:53)hdmkv Wrote: Listen to @Stereodude and do free upgrade to Win10 first Smile. Forgot 'bout that lil' detail.

Oh right, so i need to do the windows 10 upgrade first!! Damn. I really hate doing windows upgrades, always afraid that it will break more then it will fix. Was more then happy with windows 7 and wanted to keep it with that. Ive had the windows 10 upgrade message pop up a few times but i neither had the space left to download and install it which is why i didn't upgrade still, plus i thought maybe it will be break some of my current custom hacks and settings which i did a few years ago and have no idea how to do now Big Grin

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-05-04

I hesitated upgrading to 10 as well initially as I never got used to 8, but having used 10 for several months now, I quite like it. Maybe try on another PC or laptop, then decide.

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - SofaKng - 2016-05-05

FYI - There appears to be a new test build of Intel MVC for win32: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32/KodiSetup-20160505-67d7201-msdk_mvc_wip.exe.

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - KILLERNADS - 2016-05-05

(2016-05-05, 14:32)SofaKng Wrote: FYI - There appears to be a new test build of Intel MVC for win32: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32/KodiSetup-20160505-67d7201-msdk_mvc_wip.exe.

Hi,

Does that mean that this win32 guild will work with my windows 7?

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-05-05

No. Win 8.x and 10 only.

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - KILLERNADS - 2016-05-06

(2016-05-05, 18:46)hdmkv Wrote: No. Win 8.x and 10 only.

Oh Sad thats a real shame!

Updating to windows 10 i think requires around 3-4gb! I have only like 1.2 gb left on a relatively small 64gb ssd drive. Hahaha, its windows after all and i have no idea where all the space has disappeared too! All i use the box for is Kodi Smile and all my source files are coming from a separate NAS!!

Looks like my weekend will be booked with this project on getting windows 10 installed along with the MVC kodi build and trying out the 3D iSO!!

or maybe i should just upgrade and get the Himedia Pro box Huh

Hmmm.. apart from obviously giving me better 3D options and 4k resolution, is there any other benefits i will find in the Himedia box with my current 1080p setup, I'm assuming the HD picture and Audio will stay exactly the same as it currently is? My projector does 4k upscaling from any source itself anyway. Aswell as my Arcam avr550 AV receiver does aswell, but i turn it off and just use the projector to do the upscaling!

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-05-06

See pros/cons of each in post #1.

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - hdmkv - 2016-05-08

Interesting editorial here by The Digital Bits about 3D, even though bulk of it is about 4K...
Quote:Some fans too are complaining that 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray doesn’t have a 3D option, irritated as they rightfully are by the fact that the studios seem to have backed away from regular Blu-ray 3D. But again, there are reasons for this. For one thing, there simply is no 4K 3D material – virtually everything you see projected theatrically in 3D (save for full-IMAX titles) is 2K. And from what I’ve been hearing, the industry pull-back from Blu-ray 3D isn’t being led by the studios, it’s being led by the manufacturers, who went all-in on home 3D for several years only to receive a pretty strong message from consumers at large that they aren’t interested in 3D so long as it requires wearing glasses.
Quote:Now… there is some good news on the home 3D front. For one thing, all of the early Ultra HD Blu-ray players thus far – including Samsung’s launch player, the UDB-K8500 – support regular Blu-ray 3D. What’s more, all of the display manufacturers tell me that while they’re pulling back from 3D on many of their models in the near term, they’re aggressively working on autostereoscopic 3D displays in their labs. When that technology is ready, they’re going to get back into home 3D in a big way. And since Blu-ray 3D is display format-agnostic, it’s quite possible that all of your existing Blu-ray 3D titles will work better than ever on those future glasses-free displays.
I find comments about glasses stupid honestly. Went to a totally packed showing of 'Captain America: Civil War' yesterday in IMAX 3D, and while 3D on actual movie was mild-to-medium, most of the audience went "whoa!" when the IMAX 3D countdown bit was shown just before the movie. Manufacturers made mistakes with 3D, and they're doing similar with 4K BD now... stupid pricing, exclusives, poor promotional efforts, confusing tech lingo, etc.

RE: Kodi Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio - noggin - 2016-05-08

(2016-05-08, 15:47)hdmkv Wrote: I find comments about glasses stupid honestly. Went to a totally packed showing of 'Captain America: Civil War' yesterday in IMAX 3D, and while 3D on actual movie was mild-to-medium, most of the audience went "whoa!" when the IMAX 3D countdown bit was shown just before the movie. Manufacturers made mistakes with 3D, and they're doing similar with 4K BD now... stupid pricing, exclusives, poor promotional efforts, confusing tech lingo, etc.

Not sure I totally agree. I am happy to wear glasses to watch 3D in a movie theatre. Media consumption at home is different for many people, often people are multitasking whilst watching movies (stopping the movie to cook dinner, check on the kids etc.), and doing that wearing 3D glasses is a bit tricky or just gets annoying. 3D is very much 'appointment to view', I'm not sure all home consumption is.

I'm not denying it's important to some people, but just don't think it's reached 'critical mass' yet. I have a feeling UHD will - mainly because it is cheaper to produce and easier to watch than 3D.