Kodi Community Forum
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=287826)

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - mechevarria - 2019-07-10

(2019-07-03, 16:46)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
Survey to AEL Users - Unique Launcher ROMs artwork directory

I'm currently working on version 0.9.8 and the main feature will be the resuscitation of the scrapers. However, I am also thinking on some changes in AEL towards making AEL more friendly with a future Kodi games database. One of these changes is the location and placement of the ROM assets. I am doing this survey because this change will complicate a bit the upgrade from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8, requiring the exporting of your configuration in XML with version 0.9.7, editing the XML and then reimporting the edited XML with 0.9.8.

Let's go to business. Currently, when creating a ROM Launcher you are asked for the ROM asset path. AEL then creates inside this directory the boxfront, boxback, etc. directories, where the ROMs artwork are stored. However, in the database each path is stored separately and can be edited later. For example, when using XML to configure your launchers, you can specify the <ROM_asset_path>, or alternatively <path_title>, <path_snap>, etc. (have a look here for more details). This approach is very flexible. However, it makes the code of AEL more complicated. For example, if a new piece of artwork is created in the database (and another new feature of AEL 0.9.8 is the support for 3D Boxes), a new tag <path_new_artwork_piece> is needed, all the launchers need to be modified, etc.

Why AEL uses this approach in the first place? This is a legacy feature from old good Advanced Launcher. AL sopported only two types of artwork: Icons and Fanarts, and stored both paths separately. When I created AEL I simply added more artwork directories and just simplified the Launcher creation process. However, all the separated paths of the ROM artwork directories are there in the database.

The proposed change is as follows: only the <ROM_asset_path> will be asked for and stored in the database. Users will not be able to configure the path of each piece of artwork separately. AEL will automatically create the subdirectories boxfronts, boxbacks, snaps, etc., as required inside the <ROM_asset_path>.

How many of you agree with the change? Is anybody using ROM artwork directories that to not share a common root path <ROM_asset_path> anyway?   
I use emumovies sync for all my assets. So this change may not work with their default directories. In other words, the artwork directories are created in the rom directory by default are Nintendo_NES/Box, Nintendo_NES/BoxBack, Nintendo_NES/Cart etc. Those don't match up with the defaults in AEL. I would like to be able to define the defaults so adding similar launchers is really easy

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-07-12

(2019-07-10, 20:46)mechevarria Wrote: I use emumovies sync for all my assets. So this change may not work with their default directories. In other words, the artwork directories are created in the rom directory by default are Nintendo_NES/Box, Nintendo_NES/BoxBack, Nintendo_NES/Cart etc. Those don't match up with the defaults in AEL. I would like to be able to define the defaults so adding similar launchers is really easy

OK, I see... One possible solution. I keep things as planned. However, I create also tags like:

Code:
<Artwork_dir name="BoxFront">Box</Artwork_dir>
<Artwork_dir name="BoxBack">BoxBack</Artwork_dir>
<Artwork_dir name="Cartridge">Cart</Artwork_dir>

The ROM_artwork_path could be the same path as the ROM_path, no problem with that. Of course the defaults will match the current configuration so only people like you will need to use this tags. In the database, this non-default artwork subdirectories will be stored in a list of tuples, to save space.

What do you think?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - TheTimeWalker - 2019-07-13

I also don't use custom location for all single types. I like them neat so I have these set up in an artwork folder for Kodi's Android data folder with each console type. So it looks similar like artwork/NES/boxfront, artwork/SNES/boxfront, artwork/PS1/boxfront, etc.
It's correct that emumovies sync uses different folder names. I instead have copied the assets to the default folders AEL has been using as I didn't want to rename all these folders again.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - b1gblue - 2019-07-14

(2019-07-03, 16:46)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
Survey to AEL Users - Unique Launcher ROMs artwork directory

I'm currently working on version 0.9.8 and the main feature will be the resuscitation of the scrapers. However, I am also thinking on some changes in AEL towards making AEL more friendly with a future Kodi games database. One of these changes is the location and placement of the ROM assets. I am doing this survey because this change will complicate a bit the upgrade from 0.9.7 to 0.9.8, requiring the exporting of your configuration in XML with version 0.9.7, editing the XML and then reimporting the edited XML with 0.9.8.

Let's go to business. Currently, when creating a ROM Launcher you are asked for the ROM asset path. AEL then creates inside this directory the boxfront, boxback, etc. directories, where the ROMs artwork are stored. However, in the database each path is stored separately and can be edited later. For example, when using XML to configure your launchers, you can specify the <ROM_asset_path>, or alternatively <path_title>, <path_snap>, etc. (have a look here for more details). This approach is very flexible. However, it makes the code of AEL more complicated. For example, if a new piece of artwork is created in the database (and another new feature of AEL 0.9.8 is the support for 3D Boxes), a new tag <path_new_artwork_piece> is needed, all the launchers need to be modified, etc.

Why AEL uses this approach in the first place? This is a legacy feature from old good Advanced Launcher. AL sopported only two types of artwork: Icons and Fanarts, and stored both paths separately. When I created AEL I simply added more artwork directories and just simplified the Launcher creation process. However, all the separated paths of the ROM artwork directories are there in the database.

The proposed change is as follows: only the <ROM_asset_path> will be asked for and stored in the database. Users will not be able to configure the path of each piece of artwork separately. AEL will automatically create the subdirectories boxfronts, boxbacks, snaps, etc., as required inside the <ROM_asset_path>.

How many of you agree with the change? Is anybody using ROM artwork directories that to not share a common root path <ROM_asset_path> anyway?  

@Wintermute0110 - AEL is awesome and I'm sure the vast majority of your users think so. We get that you're a one-man show when it comes to developing this add-on, so do what makes your life easier in terms of future development and maintenance.
I'm in support of you doing things to make life easier for you to keep giving us this amazing add-on!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Castilho - 2019-07-15

Hello again thank you for the work.
Is there any way to use my roms? I have an external disk that contains my media and some roms I used recalbox as frontend. But if I could use it without leaving the kodi would be better and simpler. It's possible ? If yes where to include the path to the roms?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-07-16

(2019-07-14, 17:15)b1gblue Wrote: @Wintermute0110 - AEL is awesome and I'm sure the vast majority of your users think so. We get that you're a one-man show when it comes to developing this add-on, so do what makes your life easier in terms of future development and maintenance.
I'm in support of you doing things to make life easier for you to keep giving us this amazing add-on!

Thanks. I receive some help from Chrisism and others, I'm not completely a one-man army Laugh

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-07-16

(2019-07-15, 15:55)Castilho Wrote: Hello again thank you for the work.
Is there any way to use my roms? I have an external disk that contains my media and some roms I used recalbox as frontend. But if I could use it without leaving the kodi would be better and simpler. It's possible ? If yes where to include the path to the roms?

You may try to create a Launcher with AEL wizard. However, if you use Recalbox you know the drill so I recommend you create an XML file with your configurations and then import them in AEL. The ROMs and assets can be located in any directory, providing it's a local directory (or a locally mounted remote directory). Have a look here for an example of an XML configuration. In the AEL asset library you have more than 100 working examples.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Mysticalp - 2019-07-18

I think that's a good change!

On a related note to art changes... I am doing some work with skins lately and I was trying to show game boxes. Do you know if there's any way to know if the game boxes for the screen I'm in are horizontal (like SNES), square (like PSX) or vertical (like most others)?

It's not a very important thing tbh, but I think it would make the skin use space a bit better. Thanks!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - chrisism - 2019-07-18

(2019-07-18, 14:56)Mysticalp Wrote: I think that's a good change!

On a related note to art changes... I am doing some work with skins lately and I was trying to show game boxes. Do you know if there's any way to know if the game boxes for the screen I'm in are horizontal (like SNES), square (like PSX) or vertical (like most others)?

It's not a very important thing tbh, but I think it would make the skin use space a bit better. Thanks!
If you find a good solution let us know Wink
This is an special issue we have been playing around with. @Rufoo has some solutions for this with his skin Lyrebird .
I did some support and mods for this in Titan MediaBrowser MOD. What I did was using the platform of the launcher to determine what the default view type would be (snes box, normal poster etc.) and made it so that users could override this default view through settings.

Check these code pieces:
https://github.com/chrisism/skin.titan.mod.beta.leia/blob/7866552e0e454fef5b4727a21975c36460e4e94d/1080i/IncludesExpressions.xml#L45
https://github.com/chrisism/skin.titan.mod.beta.leia/blob/7866552e0e454fef5b4727a21975c36460e4e94d/1080i/IncludesVariables.xml#L1545
https://github.com/chrisism/skin.titan.mod.beta.leia/blob/7866552e0e454fef5b4727a21975c36460e4e94d/1080i/View_523_Netflix.xml#L395

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Mysticalp - 2019-07-19

(2019-07-18, 15:25)chrisism Wrote:

This is an special issue we have been playing around with. @Rufoo has some solutions for this with his skin Lyrebird .
I did some support and mods for this in Titan MediaBrowser MOD. What I did was using the platform of the launcher to determine what the default view type would be (snes box, normal poster etc.) and made it so that users could override this default view through settings.

Check these code pieces:
https://github.com/chrisism/skin.titan.mod.beta.leia/blob/7866552e0e454fef5b4727a21975c36460e4e94d/1080i/IncludesExpressions.xml#L45
https://github.com/chrisism/skin.titan.mod.beta.leia/blob/7866552e0e454fef5b4727a21975c36460e4e94d/1080i/IncludesVariables.xml#L1545
https://github.com/chrisism/skin.titan.mod.beta.leia/blob/7866552e0e454fef5b4727a21975c36460e4e94d/1080i/View_523_Netflix.xml#L395 
Thanks @chrisism ! That's brilliant. I never thought of anything remotely as good as that.
I am going to play around with that code and do something similar.

What I am working on is to mod the Aura skin as I wanted to have a view with the game boxes and some info on the same screen. I'll modify it so that it uses the shapes in the way you have them there.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-07-30

(2019-07-19, 10:54)Mysticalp Wrote:
(2019-07-18, 15:25)chrisism Wrote:

Check these code pieces:
Thanks @chrisism ! That's brilliant. I never thought of anything remotely as good as that.
I am going to play around with that code and do something similar.

What I am working on is to mod the Aura skin as I wanted to have a view with the game boxes and some info on the same screen. I'll modify it so that it uses the shapes in the way you have them there.

We have been thinking a lot about the artwork aspect ratio and I believe the proper solution is for Kodi core to give the aspect ration using infolabels. True, for most cases you can guess the aspect ratio of assets if you know the platform (for example, all megadrive boxes are rectangular portrait) but it is not always the case (arcade artwork aspect ratio is totally random). For Movies, TV Shows and Music the aspect ratio was not important: more or less all movies have rectangular AR, all CDs have same AR, all Blue Rays boxes have the same AR, etc. However, for games the assets are VERY heterogeneous which means the skin must adapt to the aspect ratio in order to display artwork correctly.

When I had time I will file a feature request to the core developers and see if they support the aspect ratio of images in Matrix.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - dib_ - 2019-08-14

Hello all, just checking in.  Did this ever start working on Nvidia Shield?  Anyone running it on there?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-08-14

(2019-08-14, 14:59)dib_ Wrote: Hello all, just checking in.  Did this ever start working on Nvidia Shield?  Anyone running it on there?

Soon I will release 0.9.8-beta1 which includes the patch to launch on newer Android versions. Soon means maybe 2/3 weeks, depending how development goes. Please wait until 0.9.8-beta1 is released.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - loktar - 2019-08-17

Tried to create a new launcher using the last github version but got an error about categories path. It looks like the categories.xml file cannot be created, here is the log link.

Http://ix.io/1S0k

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-08-19

(2019-08-17, 15:10)loktar Wrote: Tried to create a new launcher using the last github version but got an error about categories path. It looks like the categories.xml file cannot be created, here is the log link.

Http://ix.io/1S0k

Thanks for reporting. Currently I'm in the middle of a Scraper refactoring (more accurately complete rewriting) which involves the ROM Scanner and other parts of AEL. I changed some global code in AEL which affects the entire plugin but didn't have time to test all functionality. I will try to fix that bug today. In the mean time, you can use the XML Launcher configuration, that works OK. XML is the setting up way I use most for development and is better supported that the Launcher creation wizard.