Installing Kodi on a Surface 3 (sqlite3.dll error)
Hello,

I've been trying to install Kodi on my Surface 3 Tablet (64 GB ROM / 2 GB RAM)
I've attempted to install Kodi 16.1, 16.1 RC1, and 16.1 RC2.

With all of these I ran into the same proble, Kodi successfully installs, but then it doesn't open, the first error I ran into was:
"Uh oh, can't load sqlite3.dll, exiting"

Realizing this I attempted to replace the sqlite3.dll with several different sqlite3.dll files, one from my working program on a different PC (with the same 64 bit architecture) however, I got the same error.

I then went to the sqlite3.dll official source: http://www.sqlite.org/download.html
I used that source to download the 64 bit version of the sqlite3.dll and replace the one in Kodi's installation folder
(in my case C:\Program Files\Kodi\system) also replaced the one in C:\Program Files\Kodi\system\python\DLLs
I now got a new error (likely because Kodi is built on 32 bit architecture): ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting

So I now attempt to fix this issue following the steps in this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229292

and my issue was still not solved.

I am basically lost as to what to do next, I have tried everything I can think of, I looked up if I was installing Kodi wrong on my device (if there are any extra steps for Surface 3) to no luck, I tried to research this problem on these forums and others, to no luck.

I believe my tablet may be having issue running the program due to it being a 32 bit program (although I've never heard of an issue like this, nor does it make sense)

If anything else is needed, I tried to be as thorough as possible, don't hesitate to ask.
Any and all help would be largely appreciated.

EDIT: I am now installing Kodi 16.1 in D:\ProgramFiles, my hope is that installing the program on an external directory may help.
-------------------------------------------------------------------(No joy, uninstalled)-------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like you have over complicated your problems with your fixes.

Yes, KODI is 32-bit so it will use the 32-bit sqlite3.dll.

The sqlite3.dll in use is the 32bit version and dated 19/08/2014 15:04, 708,608 bytes on my Win10 box.

Usually the simplest solution is just to re-run the KODI installer, and make sure everything is ticked.

Make sure no other program has thrown a copy of sqlite3.dll into the Windows folder or anything else on the path. This is likely your main place to check...

Make sure you do a standard install of KODi, no compatibility modes or anything else.

Also think about what other database programs you have running on the PC. Something is clashing.

Edit: As a quick test I tried to put a newer sqlite3.dll into the c:\program files (x86)\kodi\system\ folder and it spat out the sqlite error box. So you must have that correct older edition of sqlite3.dll there
(2016-06-03, 20:40)BatterPudding Wrote: Looks like you have over complicated your problems with your fixes.

Yes, KODI is 32-bit so it will use the 32-bit sqlite3.dll.

The sqlite3.dll in use is the 32bit version and dated 19/08/2014 15:04, 708,608 bytes on my Win10 box.

Usually the simplest solution is just to re-run the KODI installer, and make sure everything is ticked.

Make sure no other program has thrown a copy of sqlite3.dll into the Windows folder or anything else on the path. This is likely your main place to check...

Make sure you do a standard install of KODi, no compatibility modes or anything else.

Also think about what other database programs you have running on the PC. Something is clashing.

Edit: As a quick test I tried to put a newer sqlite3.dll into the c:\program files (x86)\kodi\system\ folder and it spat out the sqlite error box. So you must have that correct older edition of sqlite3.dll there

Went through and checked everything (its a new Surface 3 with a clean install of windows, so I'd have no idea what could be clashing, I also reinstalled Kodi making sure no comparability modes or anything of the sort were used when opening the installer and the program, I also made sure that all the addons were selected to be installed, sadly, I get the same error.

As I said before I also grabbed the sqlite3.dll from a working installation of Kodi, so I highly doubt there is a problem with the installer, I just can't figure out what may be clashing between Kodi and the few programs that are now installed: Java, Chrome, and Adobe Flash.

Also, thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate your time.

EDIT: I serched my entire Surface and SD Card for the sqlite3.dll file, there were some "SQLite3Wrapper.dll" files it found in Microsoft Bing Applications (Weather, News, Sports, and Money) but these are preinstalled on almost all Windows 10 machines and I highly doubt these are the files that are clashing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing Kodi on a Surface 3 (sqlite3.dll error)0