impossible to Playback in Window 10
Hello, my first post here, hope you can help...
1) I have a Win7 computer with a folder, where all the movies are stored
2) on thins Win7 computer I have set up Kodi to share this folder over my home network
3) when I run Kodi on this Win7 computer, I can easily access and immediately playback all files in this folder using
--- any Android device with VLC - it shows the Kodi as a network service
--- any smart TV - it shows the shared folder as well

4) However, I am no way able to playback any of this movies on any of the Win10 based computers attached to my home network
5) on the computer: Under My computer there is a nice Kodi icon in the Network locations (hope the translation is correct, as I am using the Czech version of windows)
6) clicking the Kodi icon opens the shared folder
7) clicking the movie in this shared folder forces Windows to download the whole file into ad-hoc created temporary folder instead of starting the playback immediately
8) it takes 5-30 minutes to download to download and store the file in the temporary folder, then the playback starts (very inconvenient for large GB  files)
9) If I locate the very same file directly from the VLC on the Windows10 computer, the playback fails "cannot connect to:554, cannot open MRL".
9a)  again - doing the same with VLC on Android device starts the playback immediately.
10) there is another (different) Kodi icon listed under win10 My copmuter/multimedia devices - this icon doesn't work at all.

Please help. I have configured literally tons of computes, but I'm completely lost here. I must be missing something so essentilal, that I'm probably easy overseeing it. Thank you!
It could be that you're using SMBv1, see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=340306
Than you. Well, maybe I'm using Kodi completely wrong way.

My idea (and my configuration) is to use Kodi only on the Win7 source computer (as a media server). No other device connected to the network is running Kodi. All the devices can see the "shared" movie folder, Android devices play back immediately, Win devices do not.

From what I have understand - the forum link you have mentioned is to resolve any problems with Kodi<->Kodi connection, however this is not my case.
(2020-10-29, 18:55)DadB Wrote: maybe I'm using Kodi completely wrong way
Perhaps this is the issue, Kodi is not server software. So let's say your collection of videos on the win7 machine, Movie source = D:/movies & TV source = F:/TV then you would install Kodi on a windows 10 machine, Android device, or Linux box run it and in sources you would specify a networking protocol such as SMB and define your sources as the networked windows 7 machine in the drives/folders specified. Syncing and sharing (wiki) and SMB (wiki) ->3 Adding Remote Sources. This link might help https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=353532

Each Kodi installation will have it's own duplicate library. If you want to utilize a central library, you would consider using MySQL/Setting up Kodi (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
impossible to Playback in Window 100