• 7(current)
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
(2017-09-23, 08:56)Skank Wrote: 3d mvc is being worked on? Cool, might get one too then
I wonder how far they are in progress with it?

As of today, the post process manager is now working on the Vero 4K kernel, so scaling can be done in hardware not software.

Need to fix hints detection and demuxer for 3D ISOs.

Plan is to output MVC as 3D HSBS for displays that do not advertise Frame Packed output support in their EDID and Frame Packed output for those that do.

Once I make further progress, I will create a test thread on the OSMC forum.

(2017-09-25, 11:51)rchads89 Wrote: How are you all getting on with this box its reviews are fantastic, not only 5 year support of updates.

You seem to have edited your post now, but VPN is supported.
Let me know if you have any questions.

(2017-09-25, 12:33)Kapsville Wrote: Hey, whats the difference between the Xiaomi 4k and the Vero4k? Thx in advance

It's different hardware running different operating systems to start with.
There's a fantastic hardware comparison thread in this very forum category outlining the difference.

(2017-09-25, 19:31)Skank Wrote: I read that vero 4k has no power on/off switch.
Sad
bah
Why on earth bring a device with no powerswitch
although they say it doesnt consume much

still it should have an on/off button

You'd need to get up off the sofa to use the button, in which case, you have a button in the form of the plug.

We're working on a standby support with wakeup that can be resumed from CEC/IR/USB. It requires a fair bit of work however, and it's a little lower on the list of things I'm currently working on. This also requires a bootloader update which always needs a lot of testing.

I noticed an issue where early models of the WD PiDrive can hang the boot on Vero 4K. This is rare, but caused by a halted endpoint in UBoot not returning -EINVAL in the xhci USB driver. So I will take advantage of the next bootloader update to introduce a variety of fixes for problematic peripherals.

There are a couple of video improvements I'd like to make beforehand.

(2017-09-25, 19:39)Skank Wrote: OSMC does it uses kodi's internal player or external player?
What about it when 3d mvc support comes out, will it be internal (like afedchin did for nuc's) or external?

It uses Kodi's built in VideoPlayer with AMCodec.
No external players or voodoo like VidOn.

All source code will be available on GitHub.

Sam
(2017-09-26, 01:51)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2017-09-23, 08:56)Skank Wrote: 3d mvc is being worked on? Cool, might get one too then
I wonder how far they are in progress with it?

As of today, the post process manager is now working on the Vero 4K kernel, so scaling can be done in hardware not software.

Plan is to output MVC as 3D HSBS for displays that do not advertise Frame Packed output support in their EDID and Frame Packed output for those that do.

Very interesting, looking forward to this.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2017-09-26, 01:51)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Plan is to output MVC as 3D HSBS for displays that do not advertise Frame Packed output support in their EDID and Frame Packed output for those that do.
I am not sure such a display exists. All HDMI 1.4a 3D displays that support 1080p60/59.94 2D have to support frame packing 1080p24/23.976 and 720p60/59.94. Additionally, they also have to support 1080i60/59.94 SBS, 1080p24/23.976 TAB and 720p60/59.94 TAB. Similar requirements exist for 50Hz displays. Even the 720p DLP 3D projectors support frame packing 3D input.

On another topic. I saw a post on OSMC forum that says that Vero 4K supports HEVC main 4:2:2 10 profile. It is a version 2 HEVC profile and I know of only broadcast/professional processors that support that profile. Here is a sample that you can try: Seattle HEVC main 4:2:2 10-bit It is a looping clip. So there is a transition effect after every 30 sec. or so. The original video is by Luke Neumann (Neumann Films) and can be downloaded from his YouTube channel
(2017-09-26, 03:38)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-09-26, 01:51)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Plan is to output MVC as 3D HSBS for displays that do not advertise Frame Packed output support in their EDID and Frame Packed output for those that do.
I am not sure such a display exists. All HDMI 1.4a 3D displays that support 1080p60/59.94 2D have to support frame packing 1080p24/23.976 and 720p60/59.94. Additionally, they also have to support 1080i60/59.94 SBS, 1080p24/23.976 TAB and 720p60/59.94 TAB. Similar requirements exist for 50Hz displays. Even the 720p DLP 3D projectors support frame packing 3D input.

On another topic. I saw a post on OSMC forum that says that Vero 4K supports HEVC main 4:2:2 10 profile. It is a version 2 HEVC profile and I know of only broadcast/professional processors that support that profile. Here is a sample that you can try: Seattle HEVC main 4:2:2 10-bit It is a looping clip. So there is a transition effect after every 30 sec. or so. The original video is by Luke Neumann (Neumann Films) and can be downloaded from his YouTube channel

With one AVR + display combination I have, the EDID does not advertise support for frame packed 3D and forcing the signal does not work either.
When I connect the device directly to the display, I am able to output in FP.

This is verified by locking HPD.
Wow all looking very promising. As soon as 3d is supported with internal kodi, ill buy one.
Nice to know you are looking for a standby mode also.
It would rock then.
(2017-09-26, 01:51)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: As of today, the post process manager is now working on the Vero 4K kernel, so scaling can be done in hardware not software.

Great! That looks very promising, appreciate your effort very much Smile

May I make a suggestion: In my opinion it would make more sense to choose 3D H-TAB as a fallback option instead of H-SBS. That is because with H-TAB all passive based 3D TV's (for the rare case they do not have Frame Packing support) will not lose additional picture quality by halving the horizontal resolution. As passive 3D always works with alternating lines for both eyes, thus always halving the vertical resolution by principle, H-SBS would reduce the resolution even more by halving the horizontal resolution additionally with its split screen.
I was about to order one of these when I noticed the lack of gigabit ethernet. I need to be able to stream a full definition 4K UHD blu ray rip from my Unraid server. It doesn't seem there would be enough bandwidth without gigabit. Anyone try this yet?
XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM
The few 4K remuxs that I have seen floating around come in at 50-60Mbps, I don't know if 100+Mbps encodes will be all that common outside of test videos. I doubt that 100Mbps ethernet will be an issue in the real world. That being said I don't know how close to the rated speed the Vero4K can actually achieve.
(2017-10-10, 17:14)joe_sun Wrote: I was about to order one of these when I noticed the lack of gigabit ethernet. I need to be able to stream a full definition 4K UHD blu ray rip from my Unraid server. It doesn't seem there would be enough bandwidth without gigabit. Anyone try this yet?

There was some discussion about this in the long 'Pick the Right Box' thread, but unfortunately a search doesn't point me to the conversation.

UHD 4K spec caps out at 120Mbps.
Most rips will be much smaller; and 120Mbps is a variable bitrate.

Obviously WiFi is 802.11ac and you can use a Gigabit Ethernet adapter but so far we haven't found users have needed to resort to such measures to watch things. 

As an aside, we did find that for a very high bitrate clip that required an advancedsettings.xml change to play correctly. We've looked in to this and it looks like Kodi doesn't actually use 3x the memory designated for the buffer size. There is a circular cache with a sliding window, but increasing the buffer size didn't increase the amount of memory used as expected. As we have 2GB of RAM on the device, we'd like to use it to its full potential and make improvements to Kodi's caching approach. 

Sam
Unfortunately, past reading across many forums and threads about all sorts of media boxes, seems to be that accurate 3D capability detection is a most elusive art, HDMI/EDID info serving only to muddy the waters further, so I'm looking fwd to following your progress with this..
Hopefully, regardless of auto detection, you plan to give access to a popup menu of all the 3D options, where a user can manually "try out" what works best for their setup?

Keep us posted of progress please.
Hi,

Still working on it. We are also preparing the Stretch migration.

Sam
I bought one a few days ago and so far, quite impressed. There are a few bugs, such as inability to add NFS shares via the normal 'add source' menu, it doesn't respond, but can be worked around by adding the source on one of my LE boxes and then copying the sources.xml over to the OSMC box. Accessing the TVH TV guide is a little sluggish, and it's doing some odd multi-channel highlighting as you scroll through the TV guide, but again, I'm not too concerned and I'm sure these will be worked out in future updates.

UHD movies play fine over the ethernet connection, but don't resume well if you skip or fast forward, so they need to be played in one go. They tend to stutter and never quite recover after skipping forward/backward, and it doesn't help to pause and let a buffer build etc. Playing end to end seems to be fine though, and my Samsung recognises it's HDR too.
Looks like I spoke too soon. After trying to play a 4K movie without interruption it only plays a couple mins before stuttering and losing audio. All files exhibit this issue.

Having tried a gigabit adapter, it still remains, basically turning into slow motion with no sound. Hmmm.
(2017-10-13, 23:39)t2ffn Wrote: Looks like I spoke too soon. After trying to play a 4K movie without interruption it only plays a couple mins before stuttering and losing audio. All files exhibit this issue.

Having tried a gigabit adapter, it still remains, basically turning into slow motion with no sound. Hmmm.

If you are playing 4K content, then you should really be mounting via fstab. It will give you a lot of performance improvements, including readahead (load in to page cache).
1000M (Gigabit Ethernet) isn't the solution. Mounting shares in an optimal way is. Let us know if you need any help with this.

Should you have problems after that, send me a message and I'll look in to them. 

Sam
(2017-10-14, 04:25)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 23:39)t2ffn Wrote: Looks like I spoke too soon. After trying to play a 4K movie without interruption it only plays a couple mins before stuttering and losing audio. All files exhibit this issue.

If you are playing 4K content, then you should really be mounting via fstab. It will give you a lot of performance improvements, including readahead (load in to page cache).
1000M (Gigabit Ethernet) isn't the solution. Mounting shares in an optimal way is. Let us know if you need any help with this.

Should you have problems after that, send me a message and I'll look in to them. 

Sam

I think I fixed some of those issues, especially with internal nfs and smb during v18 cycle. For smb the key improvement was some legacy code from 1900 something and for nfs the chunksizes that were quite low. Worth a try at least.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?4