NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 2
(2014-03-28, 22:52)gibxxi Wrote: "A Few Users"? Define A Few? I've not been following the Beta thread all that closely, but I can't help thinking downgrading NFS for the sake of "A Few Users" is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Is it even confirmed that those users issues were directly caused by the newer libNFS library?

One could easily make the same argument in reverse. That is, there's at this point only 2 or 3 users complaining about the artwork issue.

No offence but you all came to this quite late and hindsight is 20/20.

A problem was identified - a very serious regression - of total library dumping, and it was isolated to the libnfs bump (which wasn;'t so hard as it happened Frodo 12.2 to Frodo 12.3 and there weren't many changes. A few users (me, at least 2 others) chimed in in the main thread and on github. We tried wiresharking, nfs logs, etc., and a few other things - Memphiz did heaps. Unfortunately it didn't work, so a decision was based to go back to the much more thoroughly used and tested libnfs 1.3 after I popped it in and it stopped the nuked library issue. I did not notice the artwork issues, presumably because of caching etc and because I was very focussed on that one main issue. Whichever way you cut it artwork issues are less important than library wiping ones. Date for both is understandably not much as there are lots of setups and overall nfs on Windows, and people running betas with it, is going to be a low number of people.

Anyway, none of it f*cking matter really as - here we are.

The best thing for everyone would be be to solve either issue - either the outright library dumping with newer libnfs on windows (tested against two servers on setups working with the older libnfs for *years*), and I guarantee you the ones that reported it so far won't be the only ones that hit this - OR solve the artwork issue with the older libnfs. Either way is a good move forward - the first would be preferably of course but we'd need someone who can (quickly!) compile and work on libnfs on windows (I am happy to do any testing and could probably get it compiling but I know zero about nfs internals really).

Or - as is probably the most likely right now - they may well simply remove nfs for Windows. Which is also definitely not ideal.

*** One thing to note - I confirmed last night that beta1 with the libnfs1.3 DOES seem to have the artwork issue - implying the artwork issue started *before* beta 1. @garretn - do you want to try confirming this maybe?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 2 - by bossanova808 - 2014-03-29, 01:23
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 20