• 111(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
(2016-10-12, 17:55)Koying Wrote:
(2016-10-12, 17:51)mjbxx Wrote: Curious, how is your Shield TV set up for allowing an Android app to exit back into Kodi?

Nothing to be setup. If an app is launched thru Kodi, Kodi stays "under" the app in the stack, so exiting the app will get you back in Kodi.
Good to know. I have always used a launcher and hit the remote's home button to return to SPMC/Kodi.
Thank´s for your replies!

(2016-10-12, 17:55)Koying Wrote:
(2016-10-12, 17:51)mjbxx Wrote: Curious, how is your Shield TV set up for allowing an Android app to exit back into Kodi?

Nothing to be setup. If an app is launched thru Kodi, Kodi stays "under" the app in the stack, so exiting the app will get you back in Kodi.

Thats exactly what I wanted to now, glad this works.

(2016-10-12, 17:56)Tinwarble Wrote: 1. Yes, the Shield supports YCbCr (was enabled in 3.2, see 1st post). However, there is an issue currently were it will default back to RGB when auto refresh rate switching is used (will be fixed in next update).
I once read that there are problems with 23,976 playback on certain configurations? Is that only if you have an 4K screen and 1080p playback or is it due to the HDMI 2.0 interface?
You asked is the does the Device support YCbCr in 4:4:4 at 24hz
Tinwarble replied yes but there is a bug where it will revert back to rgb with refresh rate switching.
This isn't the answer you require because the last update introduced YCbCr at only 4:2:0 in 50hz or 60hz, this is because there is no support for 4K 10 bit 4:2:0 @ 24 hz in the specification for HDMI 2.0a, it isn't actually a bug.
Unless he actually meant to say that Nvidia is introducing support for 4K YCbCr in 4:4:4 in the next update.
(2016-10-12, 17:33)Powerhouse Wrote:
(2016-10-12, 09:40)maskedrider Wrote: 3. Is there a way to start netflix and amazon tv out from the kodi interface?

thx,
maskedrider

So for this question, actually, I do launch both Netflix and Amazon TV through Kodi (16.1), it's super easy to setup, and will work with any Android App (and the best part, when you exit the App, your back in Kodi).

In Kodi, go to Programs, Android programs, then add them to your Favorites. You can then create a shortcut for these apps (if your Skin will allow it, I'm using Aeon MQ7), so you can launch them from your home screen within Kodi.

Never thought of that!

Which version of the Amazon app dos you side load? Where did you get it from - there are so many APK sites not sure what is more legit (since none are).

I am
Actually getting a android phone (Galaxy s7 edge) so maybe I can copy that version?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-10-13, 12:53)DaMacFunkin Wrote: You asked is the does the Device support YCbCr in 4:4:4 at 24hz
Tinwarble replied yes but there is a bug where it will revert back to rgb with refresh rate switching.
This isn't the answer you require because the last update introduced YCbCr at only 4:2:0 in 50hz or 60hz, this is because there is no support for 4K 10 bit 4:2:0 @ 24 hz in the specification for HDMI 2.0a, it isn't actually a bug.
Unless he actually meant to say that Nvidia is introducing support for 4K YCbCr in 4:4:4 in the next update.

No, the question was asked if it supported YCbCr 4:4:4 for 1080p, and it does. 4K was not asked about so there was no need to mention it.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-10-13, 18:47)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-10-13, 12:53)DaMacFunkin Wrote: You asked is the does the Device support YCbCr in 4:4:4 at 24hz

No, the question was asked if it supported YCbCr 4:4:4 for 1080p, and it does. 4K was not asked about so there was no need to mention it.

Ok, so YCbCr 4:4:4 at 1080p is working at all framerates. 4K could be a question in a year or so, but since there will be several updates it should be fine.
Hi all. Just want to see if you can help solve a problem. Im usin Kodi on Nvidia Shield and i try to watch a series koded with H265 (Hvec)
im having soundproblems. Anyone else had problems with that ? The sound is litte out of sync and every 4 seconds there is distortion in the sound.
Should it work ? Playing Hvec files on shield/kodi ?
The sound is perfect in the native videoplayer.
Thanks
(2016-10-14, 17:50)maskedrider Wrote: Ok, so YCbCr 4:4:4 at 1080p is working at all framerates. 4K could be a question in a year or so, but since there will be several updates it should be fine.

Yes. But as for 4K, to quote wesk05, who has stated this numerous times.

wesk05 Wrote:I don't know how many times this has to be repeated.

HDMI 2.0/a/b doesn't have bandwidth to support 4K 50/59.94/60Hz RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4. It can only do 8-bit at those refresh rates.

On supported TVs, Shield sets the output to 10-bit 4K 50/59.94/60Hz YCbCr 4:2:0 when UHD Color/Deep Color etc. is enabled.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-10-14, 17:50)maskedrider Wrote:
(2016-10-13, 18:47)Tinwarble Wrote:

Ok, so YCbCr 4:4:4 at 1080p is working at all framerates. 4K could be a question in a year or so, but since there will be several updates it should be fine.

Is YCbCr 4:4:4 the same quality as rgb limited or rgb extended? 4:4:4 has no compression loss of quality vs 4:2:0 correct?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-10-14, 22:51)sjchmura Wrote: Is YCbCr 4:4:4 the same quality as rgb limited or rgb extended? 4:4:4 has no compression loss of quality vs 4:2:0 correct?

Suggested reading from the Spears & Munsil site: http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio/get...nchmark-2/

But here's a snippet.

Quote:Many current Blu-ray players offer a range of output color spaces, for example “4:2:2”, “4:4:4”, “RGB”, etc., and most displays can handle all or most of those spaces. At some point, all video has to be converted to RGB, and the video on the disc is always stored in 4:2:0 Y’CbCr, so the choice of which color space to output from the player is really a choice as to which device will do which portions of the color conversion process. The whole conversion chain is 4:2:0 Y’CbCr to 4:2:2 Y’CbCr to 4:4:4 Y’CbCr to RGB (which is sometimes redundantly called “4:4:4 RGB”). In real processing chips, some of those steps may be combined for speed, but conceptually those are the processing stages. So if you output 4:2:2 Y’CbCr from the player, the display will do the rest, converting to 4:4:4 Y’CbCr and then to RGB.

You might think that it shouldn’t matter which device does the conversion, but it turns out that there can be large differences between different devices’ color conversion hardware. For example, some displays convert whatever they receive to 4:2:2 Y’CbCr so they can do signal processing (usually because they’re working with an off-the-shelf chip that can’t handle anything else). So if you feed these displays RGB your processing chain gets extra complex: 4:2:0->4:2:2->4:4:4->RGB->4:4:4->4:2:2->4:4:4->RGB. Since each conversion involves small degradations to the picture, this is not an optimal approach. With those displays, you’re usually better off sending 4:2:2 and letting the display do the processing and conversion. And that’s just one issue; there are innumerable ways that either the player or the display can make mistakes or degrade the signal in processing, making it impossible to recommend a general approach.
Nice extract from the Spears & Munsil website Tinwarble.

Yes I definitely see inferior Grey and Black shading picture output, when force feeding a TV - RGB, instead of a Y’CbCr color space.
Currently there is a small issue with all AMLogic S9xx devices and specific ~ 7 year old models of Philips TV. These TV's have a HDMI Handshake problem and can only be fed RGB, via a user selectable Software switch.

(2016-10-15, 00:06)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-10-14, 22:51)sjchmura Wrote: Is YCbCr 4:4:4 the same quality as rgb limited or rgb extended? 4:4:4 has no compression loss of quality vs 4:2:0 correct?

Suggested reading from the Spears & Munsil site: http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio/get...nchmark-2/

But here's a snippet.

Quote:Many current Blu-ray players offer a range of output color spaces, for example “4:2:2”, “4:4:4”, “RGB”, etc., and most displays can handle all or most of those spaces. At some point, all video has to be converted to RGB, and the video on the disc is always stored in 4:2:0 Y’CbCr, so the choice of which color space to output from the player is really a choice as to which device will do which portions of the color conversion process. The whole conversion chain is 4:2:0 Y’CbCr to 4:2:2 Y’CbCr to 4:4:4 Y’CbCr to RGB (which is sometimes redundantly called “4:4:4 RGB”). In real processing chips, some of those steps may be combined for speed, but conceptually those are the processing stages. So if you output 4:2:2 Y’CbCr from the player, the display will do the rest, converting to 4:4:4 Y’CbCr and then to RGB.

You might think that it shouldn’t matter which device does the conversion, but it turns out that there can be large differences between different devices’ color conversion hardware. For example, some displays convert whatever they receive to 4:2:2 Y’CbCr so they can do signal processing (usually because they’re working with an off-the-shelf chip that can’t handle anything else). So if you feed these displays RGB your processing chain gets extra complex: 4:2:0->4:2:2->4:4:4->RGB->4:4:4->4:2:2->4:4:4->RGB. Since each conversion involves small degradations to the picture, this is not an optimal approach. With those displays, you’re usually better off sending 4:2:2 and letting the display do the processing and conversion. And that’s just one issue; there are innumerable ways that either the player or the display can make mistakes or degrade the signal in processing, making it impossible to recommend a general approach.

Thanks for that.
Now all my questions are answered. Now let´s hope to get a nice deal Smile
FYI: The Shield 16GB version is back in stock in the Nvidia Store.

https://shield.nvidia.com/store/android-...ixGF100416
(2016-10-18, 00:13)Tinwarble Wrote: FYI: The Shield 16GB version is back in stock in the Nvidia Store.

https://shield.nvidia.com/store/android-...ixGF100416

Get it from best buy. They gave me free remote in with the basic package that supposed to be controller only. Mine was online purchase last week but someone else said same thing happened in the store. They didn't advertise it as included, so it sure was a nice surprise unboxing.
(2016-10-18, 00:18)Axxel6307 Wrote: Get it from best buy. They gave me free remote in with the basic package that supposed to be controller only. Mine was online purchase last week but someone else said same thing happened in the store. They didn't advertise it as included, so it sure was a nice surprise unboxing.

Why, I have 3 already. Wink

Not all BB carry the 16GB model (in store) and not everyone lives where they can go to a BB.
  • 111(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6