• 171(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-04-04, 08:24)yeawhatever Wrote: Given all the work koying has done, is kodi/spmc on the shield now Rock solid in terms of stability and bugs?

Very solid and stable. Still a few bugs of course as aways, but Koying is very active in tweaking things quickly. I am supremely happy with it.
(2016-04-04, 13:36)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2016-04-04, 08:24)yeawhatever Wrote: Given all the work koying has done, is kodi/spmc on the shield now Rock solid in terms of stability and bugs?

Very solid and stable. Still a few bugs of course as aways, but Koying is very active in tweaking things quickly. I am supremely happy with it.

Do all flavours and wrappers of MPEG2 work now ?

ISTR That there were issues with native interlaced content in either DVD VOB/ISO or Live/Recorded TV streams (it seemed to change which) not being deinterlaced in quality? (The AMLogic platforms have a major limitation in MPEG2 native interlaced DVD playback because they don't do a decent deinterlace on that content)
Hi all, need help Smile

After installing kodi apk on Shield i cannot launch application, there is message:
Waiting for external storage

How to fix this?
(2016-04-03, 03:05)pyrex27 Wrote: A friend of a friend of mine has an shield tv and he complains that he crashes often. Does anyone suffer from the same issue?

In the first month I have had mine [never used for gaming] it has locked up tight 3 times. Usually because of or so it would seem, something I was doing in KODI.
ok thank you Smile
Edit - what storage type? 16gb? 500gb? External?
(2016-04-04, 08:24)yeawhatever Wrote: ... is it still worth going for a shield (will you keep developing/forking if kodi do stop Android dev)

I asked the same question but nobody on the team wanted to answer Sad
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266274
(2016-04-04, 20:29)pyrex27 Wrote: ok thank you Smile

16gb...
Why external if this is internal..or i understand this completely diferent.. Smile
(2016-04-03, 08:59)Koying Wrote:
(2016-04-03, 07:26)chilman408 Wrote: Apparently, if I disable the MediaCodec Surface, then the Monoscopic 2D function works but this defeats all 4k playback.

FWIW, SPMC automatically shifts to "Surface" for 4K only, and stays in plain Mediacodec for the rest, working around most of the "Surface" issues.

First let me thank you for SPMC it is working really great Smile I have just one issue. When using it on my SHIELD TV for watching 1080i h264 live tv, the deinterlacing options are only bob, bob inverted.
As far as I know and I have read here the SHIELD should do some more advanced deinterlacing "comparable to the WeTek Core", just don't know what to set up to let it do that?
If you could please explain what I need to do to get that.

Thanks a lot for your support Smile

Regards
Vlaves
(2016-04-05, 10:23)Vlaves Wrote: As far as I know and I have read here the SHIELD should do some more advanced deinterlacing "comparable to the WeTek Core", just don't know what to set up to let it do that?

Is it a "I want the best even if I don't see a difference" question or do you actually see something wrong?
(2016-04-05, 04:47)tiborlipovec Wrote:
(2016-04-04, 20:29)pyrex27 Wrote: ok thank you Smile

16gb...
Why external if this is internal..or i understand this completely diferent.. Smile

When I said external I meant the option to use an external hd as internal storage Smile
(2016-04-05, 10:35)Koying Wrote:
(2016-04-05, 10:23)Vlaves Wrote: As far as I know and I have read here the SHIELD should do some more advanced deinterlacing "comparable to the WeTek Core", just don't know what to set up to let it do that?

Is it a "I want the best even if I don't see a difference" question or do you actually see something wrong?
Vlaves, I only reported that as that was the only info anyone would give me regarding deinterlacing options on the Shield.
It's probably in error on that Page, and all you are getting there is the standard Android Software deinterlacing options of Bob and Bob Inverted.
EDIT: I've actually edited that page to reflect your findings.

The RPi 2/3, WeTek Core and Chromebox do deinterlacing like YADIFx2, Advanced Motion Adaptive and Motion Compensation which are all superior to the Bob and Bob Inverted software deinterlacing solutions. If you did a back to back comparison, especially with mpeg2 480i or 576i TV broadcasts you would definitely see the difference in video quality. 1080i h264, not so much.

I definitely notice the difference.

(2016-04-05, 10:35)Koying Wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Smile But it is not a question like that. It is just that I see a difference compared to my ODROID C1, thought the shield is doing comparable deinterlacing, so I bought it.
I see d difference especially when watching soccer games. So just wanted to ask if there is something I need to adjust I didi not know about.

Regards
Vlaves
Yes fast sports action is definitely where you will see a difference. All AMLogic S8xx (C1 / Core) and S9xx SoC's do Advanced Motion Adaptive Hardware deinterlacing.

nVIDIA would need to be hassled I would think to get improvements in deinterlacing video quality.
Maybe the Android assassin - Koying has something up his sleeve, coming down the pipe Wink

One of the easiest ways of seeing the difference in deinterlacing quality is to look at the handling of scrolling text. Here in the UK the BBC News Channel has a permanently scrolling ticker (with smooth 50Hz motion) and a static BBC News logo that doesn't scroll. The channel is produced in 1080/50i and is available in both 1080/50i and 576/50i versions on satellite and terrestrial.

As you switch through different deinterlacing modes you see significant differences in the vertical resolution of the static BBC News logo (it goes soft and jaggy with lower quality modes), and you also see interesting issues around the vertical resolution and horizontal edges of the scrolling text. If the motion appears to be jerky, then chances are you are running at 60Hz output and adding 10Hz motion judder (every 5th frame being repeated to get from 50 to 60Hz) If the text appears to have combed edges and break up into two images then you are probably weaving or not deinterlacing at all.

Other areas you often notice it is in jagged edges on sharp lines on running tracks, tennis courts etc. Any content with movement and diagonal detail will really show up Bob's major shortcoming, which is that it really only renders content at field resolution vertically (288 lines for 576i, 540 lines for 1080i)

Bob is really the most basic of 2x deinterlacing you can do, and when watching native interlaced content with a basic Bob, you often see that vertical resolution is compromised quite badly. If you are watching a sports game, the on-screen graphics are usually clearly being rendered at lower resolution with Bob than they are with YADIF 2x, MMAL Advanced or MCDI VAAPI.

AIUI some Bob deinterlacing uses some additional vertical filtering to improve the perceived quality, by reducing jagged edges and masking the limited vertical/diagonal resolution. ISTR that the Pi guys worked on this to improve 1080/50i MMAL Bob on the original Pi, and the early builds of the Pi2 before MMAL Advanced became an option for 1080i as well as 576i. In some early-ish Pi builds there was a bug in the MMAL Advanced implementation that caused combing.

I don't have a Shield - so I can't say whether the Bob or Bob Inverted is actually using a basic Bob, or whether it is just using the word 'Bob' to select deinterlacing algorithms that are significantly better than Bob. I try to trust my eyes more than what I'm being told.
(2016-04-05, 11:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Maybe the Android assassin - Koying has something up his sleeve, coming down the pipe Wink

yeah I hope that too Smile Wondering if the Tegra X1 is powerfull enough to do software yadif 2x deinterlacing Smile
  • 171(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9