vlc external player
pseudo7 Wrote:Which VLC are you using, 2.0.

If so have you tried changing how it goes fullscreen (i.e. either use apple's fullscreen method or the method VLC used to use) Perhaps one will work better.

Well, i've tried 2.0 at first but didn't get in fullscreen mode at all. Not with Apple's fullscreen implementation and not with VLC's own.

So i've reverted back to 1.1.12 because fullscreen works. But doesn't stay on top...
Can anyone post a finished playercorefactory.xml file for vlc?

I'm not good at the coding but am good at navigating around in the file system.

I'm trying to test it on an android box.

Thanks...
I have Kodi 14.0, Windows 7, and VLC 2.0.8. I prefer using VLC as an external player for many reasons including fast playback, lower profile scrub bar, and ease of use with my remote.
Using this thread and the wiki I created the playercorefactory.xml as follows. It works ok now that I've turned off "play the next video automatically" in system/settings/video/playback, but as with bigbadrabbit, fullscreen doesn't work. I figure there must be something wrong with the arguments, but googling hasn't solved the problem. Any thoughts?

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\VLC.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>
I would like to add to this post that this still works and is very often read, as of 3/2/2015 14.2 beta. But I wanted to add some troubleshooting I had to do to help others!!

First off complete code assuming you installed VLC in default directory is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="avi|mkv|mp4" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

or

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="avi|mkv|mp4" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

chose based upon if u have 64 bit VLC installed or 32 bit. Also this must go into C:/user/<username>/appdata(hidden folder)/roaming/kodi/userdata
NOT program files (x86)/kodi/userdata, this will do nothing....

Also the earlier text only had AVI if u wish to add more titles or think its not working you may be testing on an mp4 or mkv file, uses the | (aka pipe) to add different file types as i have at the end of my code, also the end were you add the file types is were you have set it to auto use VLC as i have, one nice feautre i love about Kodi is when i exit VLC it goes right back to Kodi!... I have vlc mapped to Xpadder for my xbox360 remote and I love mapping shortcuts to buttons as I see fit without a complicated GUI like Kodi but I love Kodi, just prefer VLC as the true backend.

Anyway hope i saved some people some time!

Cheers and Aloha

Donut

BTW I was unable to use basic text editor to save in proper format! So i used free XML editor found via google...it added the top line that is not shown earlier and also saved file in correct formal w/o errors, perhaps my own issues, but this is a forum and Id bet my bottom dollar ill save atleast one person some headache :-D (Dont double add top line, not sure if that would work, but I reccomend an XML editor, perhaps im wrong, people can comment freely)
PS: The above script is missing mpg, mpeg, incase you want to add that so VLC uses everything, also these settings greatly made my setup better, and also the line

#<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args> -- seems arbitrary and does't work and is no longer in my playercorefactory.xml

The follow sets VLC to auto go fullscreen, to hide any errors( they seem to pop up at the end of every tv/movie when playing from kodi but everything works great lol!) And last but not least important
make vlc auto quit so that your kodi instance is back up instantly.

In VLC, click Tools --> Preferences

Click Video and check "Fullscreen"

At the bottom left, for Show settings, click All

At the top left, for Search, paste the string: unimportant

In the box below Search, click: Qt

On the right-side, near the very bottom, uncheck Show unimportant error and warnings dialogs

Click Save

Now click on playlist

Check "Play and Exit"

Save

Restart and verify setting applied correctly
Thanks Donuts Server! Your solution works perfectly! Your "prepend" rule causes Kodi to automatically use VLC without having to right click and select it every time. One thing you left off is how to get VLC to auto quit. I found it in the "Media" tab at the top left (not in preferences). Just make sure "Quit at the end of playlist" is selected. Here is what my playercorefactory.xml file looks like now, using Windows 7, Kodi 15.1 and VLC 2.2.1:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="avi|mkv|mp4|mpg|mpeg" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
Someone have mercy on me! I have been struggling with this for weeks and none of these solutions work for me :-(

I'm running Jarvis 16.1 on both Win 7/10 and Android. I'd like VLC to open automatically when I select a certain file. It refuses to do so although the "play using" context menu shows VLC as the default player. If I manually select that from the context menu then VLC will open. I don't get it. Here is my playerfactorycore.xml:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="strm" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

What in the world am I doing wrong?!
My playercorefactory is working and looks like this:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule internetstream="false" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Had trouble with some streaming addons, so I'm using Kodi's player for those based on this post from Warner306 here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=199513 My post above on getting VLC to autoquit still applies.
Well, darn.....I wanted to look at the post you mention, but I get a "specified thread does not exist" error :-(

Edit: never mind, I found it by searching on the author.
Sorry about that, my fault. I just fixed the link. The title is "Playercorefactory Rules for Video Addon Streams"
OK, I'm back. Progress. So close.....

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="m3u8" player="DVDPlayer"/>
   <rule filename=".*cnn.*" player="VLC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

This prevents Kodi from opening every m3u8 stream in VLC. The right-click context menu correctly shows DVDPlayer as the default, with VLC as an option, except for the file "cnn.strm". For that one file VLC is shown as the default!!!

So why doesn't the file open in VLC No
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do notice this. To quote Donuts:

(2015-03-10, 07:52)donuts.server Wrote: ... the line

#<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args> -- seems arbitrary and does't work and is no longer in my playercorefactory.xml

I think that's old code that doesn't work anymore and just causes errors. My setup is fine without it.
The code I'm using is:

<args>"{1}" --fullscreen --play-and-quit</args>

and seems to work fine.

I have another problem though. I'm trying to get VLC to save the video in the backround. I'm using this code:

<args>"{0}" --sout=file/ts:"E:/File Conversion/VLC/Recording/video-$(date +"%H-%M-%m-%d-%y").mkv" </args>

It works except the filename is video-$(date +%H-%M-%m-%d-%y).mkv instead of video-05-22-07-23-2017. Anyone have any idea what's wrong here?
I configured kodi to play videos in VLC. When I want to watch video, I get only error message from VLC.
It looks like VLC get wrong link to videofile from kodi.
Can anyone help me?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
vlc external player0