• 2(current)
First box: what to look for, what to avoid?
Thanks again for all the replies and recommendations. The first thing I'll make sure of is to get something that has support here, as wrxtasy has recommended. And I definitely would like dual-band 2.5/5Ghz if I could find that since i just bought a new router that does it.

I'm a long time DIY tech type, so I'd have no real issue building something myself from scratch, but for now I'm hoping to get a ready made box in the event family or friends see it and want one, they can buy their own. That said, I went looking for whatever WeTek or Odroid boxes were available on Amazon/eBay, and virtually everything I saw comes from China or Hong Kong, so I'm not sure how to avoid a cheap box from China if that's the only place they can be purchased (or is that only if it comes with illegal addons).

More puzzling was that the only WeTek box on Amazon (sold by Wetek for $123) came with this 2-star review:

"I have two of these. The first one failed when I followed Weteks instructions to load OpenELEC into NAND
memory. Bricked. The one they sent to replace it works (barely) in Android but won't even boot from the
memory card. Android doesn't work well on this underpowered box at all. It drops frames, loses audio sync
and crashes. WeTek support is mostly nonexistent. Buy a $64 Cana Strawberry Pi B2. Works better, faster,
more reliable, and better support."

A bit troubling as far as Wetek, if true and accurate. He suggests the Cana Strawberry Pi B2 (I presume he meant Rasberry?), but I'm taking that with a grain of salt for now. Anyone heard of this Cana box he's talking about, or something like it or better?
-JT
As someone that has had a BUNCH of different systems....

I run Kodi now on a Chromebox. You'll need a bit of messing around with some code and the box itself (there's an awesome walkthrough on the forum). They run about $130. You can also add a Flirc for about $15 that supports universal IR remotes. $150, and it's the best box I've used. The internal space is small (16GB) but I've never had slowness or lag, I currently have cached about 10,000 videos with actors and covers and thumbnails. No space issues (as long as you don't also do a backup file of the artwork). It has 2GB of ram...also is perfect. You can upgrade space and ram, but no need. It's worth the investment. + add openelec to make it dedicated as Kodi. It's free.

ALTERNATELY, I have a laptop that I almost threw away. It's about 8 years old and resets Windows ALL the time. I downloaded openelec to an sd card, popped it in...loaded...and Kodi was dedicated to my system in about 10 minutes. Hard drive has like 300GB of space. 2GB ram again. It works awesome. IF your go this route, you'll need something with an HDMI plug in it that will go to the TV for vid/audio. I, however, did not. I actually used a VGA adapter & an audio cable. Oddly enough, even my 1080p content looks great with a few Kodi tweeks. I can't use Windows anymore on this one, but I don't care. It was junk, and now it's not.

With the correct cable config, you can use an old Android phone or tablet too. Cabling is $20-$30 total for TV plug adapters. It works well enough, but I don't trust having my phone run that long without burning up. Still...it's a thing.

Also, don't buy any of the random "This has everything!" box from Ebay. They look awesome at first, they lost support quick, and most of the addons aren't supported here due to legality.
----------------

I've spent HOURS and HOURS of frustration over nonsense due to cheap setups. Just spend the little bit of extra and future proof yourself. It's worth it. Especially if you're looking to cut cable ($50-$150/month), what's wrong with spending $150 for something really nice that will last you for years and still save tons?
(2016-02-09, 07:15)jttraverse Wrote: More puzzling was that the only WeTek box on Amazon (sold by Wetek for $123) came with this 2-star review:

"I have two of these. The first one failed when I followed Weteks instructions to load OpenELEC into NAND
memory. Bricked. The one they sent to replace it works (barely) in Android but won't even boot from the
memory card. Android doesn't work well on this underpowered box at all. It drops frames, loses audio sync
and crashes. WeTek support is mostly nonexistent. Buy a $64 Cana Strawberry Pi B2. Works better, faster,
more reliable, and better support."
STOP looking on EBay, Stop reading doctored, product promotion reviews on Amazon that are usually newb written, with no idea or paid for bullshit. Especially when it comes to Kodi boxes.

That WeTek device you are looking for is the pretty old WeTek play. That guy has no idea what he is doing.

Go straight to the source for Kodi devices, don't use resellers, don't use Ebay. They will take your money and run.
Amazon should only be used for stuff from the Big Multi media companies. ie Intel, Zotac, nVIDIA, Google, ASUS etc...

WeTek Core (currently out of stock till end Feb) purchase from here:
http://wetek.com/product/wetek-core

HardKernel ODROID's come from here (or their listed official distributors):
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php

Go straight to the manufacturers Websites first to avoid a LOT of product and possible hardware warranty problems down the track.

(2016-02-09, 06:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-02-08, 16:14)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2016-02-08, 10:06)wrxtasy Wrote: I would recommend a RPI2 in the past, but by the time you purchase all the bits n pieces you end up near the price of a Nicely integrated WeTek Core, which is quite a bit faster and includes a Wireless RF remote, plus a whole bunch of other great Features in Android Lollipop. Its dual boot and very flexible. Smile
I'm sorry but no. A WeTek Core is going to cost me £96 delivered an Openelec ready RPI 2 bundle is £55, if you sort all the extras yourself then they are even cheaper. Yes the Wetek is the better box, but that is because it is nearly twice the price.
Considerations when purchasing any of these RPi2 bundles....

Where is the far superior RF Wireless remote control for £55, what about Bluetooth ?
These packs usually use cheap, rubbish 2.4Ghz WiFi usually as well.
Dual band 2.4/5Ghz should be the absolute minimum in 2016 if you need WiFi.

What about if I want 24p 4K and at least 1080p 8-bit HEVC decoding ?
What about HD Audio Passthrough, not just multichannel PCM ?
Can I flip over from OpenELEC to Android and watch Netflix and other DRM streams?

Look with any device, you get what you pay for. I could also say I'm not sure a nVIDIA Shield is not worth twice the price of a WeTek Core. But then it does add extra features and decodes a few more things if you actually need that, so again you get what you pay for.

To the OP, if you need support and are a Newb get one of the popular devices that have massive threads here on the Kodi forums.
The Tronsmart S95 runs an illegal version of XBMC from VidOn and you will get run out of town looking for support here on a Kodi forums for that device.
No support will be given to any cheap Android box from China as well that comes bundled with illegal / banned Kodi addons. That means most of them.

I will repeat again, its not just price and tech specs that are the primary consideration when purchasing a Kodi box.

I never said the Wetek wasn't a better box than an RPI2. All I said was it was twice the price, which it is. Whereas you said the Wetek Core and RPI2 were almost the same price. In this instance the points you make are moot if your read the OP's original remit. Reading the OP's original remit the Wetek Core is not even in the picture, whereas the RPI2 is.

My RPI2 didn't cost over £40. Basically the PI2, case and 8GB SD card were my only costs, over the cost of the Pi. HDMI leads cost £1, I already had ethernet cables (but they aren't expensive). I already had a 2.1 amp Samsung phone charger and power lead, these days lots of people do. If you do need Wifi then a decent dual band dongle isn't expensive either. With an RPI you have a choice of free ways to control it. Any USB mouse or keyboard will work. Any smart phone or tablet will also work. You could also just use the web interface or a browser addon to control it. This is assuming that he can't just use his existing TV remote via CEC.

You are right in what you say about it is not just the price and spec, support and longevity are also a big consideration. The RPI2 has arguably the best support out there.

When you follow the OP's original requests the RPI2 is just about the best box out there.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
What are you smoking, where did the OP ever even talk about GBP - £, ? Confused
You are the one that introduced £ into the thread itself......

(2016-02-08, 08:35)jttraverse Wrote: The goal for now is to eventually cut cable completely, so for starting out I'd rather stay in the $50-$100 range if possible. That said,
I'm assuming the OP means USD, the last time I checked a Core was USD$108 inc delivery.
This is export pricing for shipping outside of the EU.

As you have found, yes taxes for delivery inside the EU can add quite a bit to the end pricing of a product.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2182671

(2016-02-09, 10:44)wrxtasy Wrote: What are you smoking, where did the OP ever even talk about GBP - £, ? Confused
You are the one that introduced £ into the thread itself......

(2016-02-08, 08:35)jttraverse Wrote: The goal for now is to eventually cut cable completely, so for starting out I'd rather stay in the $50-$100 range if possible. That said,
I'm assuming the OP means USD, the last time I checked a Core was USD$108 inc delivery.
This is export pricing for shipping outside of the EU.

As you have found, yes taxes for delivery inside the EU can add quite a bit to the end pricing of a product.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2182671
But won't the purchaser instead have to pay taxes and/or input duty in other countries. (It's the old US vs EU argument that quotes US prices excl sales tax and EU prices inc VAT)
As an example I would pay Zip, Nill, Na-Da for importing duties, taxes etc for import of products into Australia up to the value of AUD$1000. But then we are pretty lucky.

(2016-02-09, 14:53)wrxtasy Wrote: As an example I would pay Zip, Nill, Na-Da for importing duties, taxes etc for import of products into Australia up to the value of AUD$1000. But then we are pretty lucky.

Yep - not the case in many countries. In the UK we pay 20% VAT and in some cases import duty (depends on product) for non-EU purchases (possibly non-EFTA)
Pricing, shipping and Taxes are a completely useless discussion when we do not even know where the OP lives or his specific details.

IMO I'd get a rpi2 over a weaktec, sorry... Wetek; and a shield over a rpi2.

I'd avoid all other Android box solutions, you get what you pay for... For a long term affordable solution, go with the shield. Short term a rpi2.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2016-02-09, 08:20)wrxtasy Wrote: WeTek Core (currently out of stock till end Feb) purchase from here:

probably out of stock because the Chinese factory that supplies them stopped making s8xx stuff like a year ago.. ;-) had to blow the dust off the old die makers
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
They had to clear to faulty first release, rushed to market 10-bit HEVC S905's out of the way first to even get through the dust and cobwebs to get to the die makers. Wink
Consequently there are a lot of cheap as AML S905's flooding the market from China. Wink

(2016-02-09, 16:44)wrxtasy Wrote: They had to clear to faulty first release, rushed to market 10-bit HEVC S905's out of the way first to even get through the dust and cobwebs to get to the die makers. Wink
Consequently there are a lot of cheap as AML S905's flooding the market from China. Wink

wrxstasy, Question? since the internals are like 100% identical, what do you think the chances are i can just flash one of these over to a wetek core?

Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Just because they have the same SoC does not make them identical. Also why not just spend a little more and get the Core that way you know it will work 100% and you can support the company working hard to make the firmware you want to use.

There are lots of phones out there that use the same SoC does that mean I can flash the firmware from one to another and expect it to work
(2016-02-09, 17:12)jakejm79 Wrote: Just because they have the same SoC does not make them identical. Also why not just spend a little more and get the Core that way you know it will work 100% and you can support the company working hard to make the firmware you want to use.

There are lots of phones out there that use the same SoC does that mean I can flash the firmware from one to another and expect it to work

i understand that.. but with that specific box its a bit more than just same soc ;-)

i have no issues with wetek or the core.. im just trying to make the point that BASHING Chinese boxes but praising the wetek core is ironic since Wetek Electronics is HONG KONG based and their devices are made along side all the amlogic stuff made in the same factories.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First box: what to look for, what to avoid?0