• 2(current)
Kodi 4K support broken on Shield TV Marshmallow
(2016-02-24, 17:08)david.kennedy Wrote:
(2016-02-24, 11:22)Koying Wrote: Ok, my mistake, it's the purple text that should be legible Wink
Looks like the purple text is legible from my photo but will double check again tonight. I assume legible includes even being up very close and not at a sitting distance as that would vary depending on eye sight.

Sure is legible. Just disable "Mediacodec(Surface)" to see the difference (downscale to 1080p, then upscale to 4K by your TV).
You were spot on Koying. Just disabled media codec surface and can't read the purple text

@David.kennedy If you don't mind me re-using your photos, I'll make a sticky post out of it
No problem Koying feel free.

I see other posters mention this new RGB option of limited over full. I have an OLED as I mentioned which does perfect blacks. Literally sometimes at night when a movie goes black between scenes and the pixels are off I can't see the person next to me on the couch as it's completely dark unlike backlit tvs which always emit some minor light.

Should I be using the limited or full option?

Thanks
Re: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2257039

Any thoughts on why I can't see the purple text clearly with KODI via the shield on my set? I have Mediacodec(Surface) enabled.
Please take higher resolution pics or from closer, as above. I can't actually see much on any of your shots...
I should add my tv is 55 inches so quite large in case it makes a difference when viewing the 4K text
Hi All

So, I was able to try out that 4K test video to see what my Shield is outputting late last night and here is a Picture of my results (very very close up shot!!)

https://i.imgur.com/3RAHvau.jpg

Hard to see in this picture since it's so close up, but IF i sit about 3ft away from the screen I COULD legibly make out the purple writing. As for the green writing which states "If you don't see black and white dots than there has been scaling", Well, I Don't see black and white dots, only a smooth grey background. Since these two results conflict (the purple writing being legible (somewhat), but no black and white dots) I am not quite sure what that means.

If in fact I am in 4K as the purple text somewhat suggests, then why does Kodi's scaling "best fit" using L1 tell me that the actual video resolution is much bigger than my screen when I set it to Original Size. Before the 3.0 Update Original Size would fit my screen exactly since my screen is 4K. A 1920x1080 video when set to Original Size before 3.0 Update would result in the video showing up in the middle of my 4K screen surrounded by black boxes, as is correct since that resolution is only 1/4 of the actual screen resolution. Now after Update a 1920x1080 video when set to Original Size fills my Screen entirely since It thinks it's running at 1080p.

So what do you think Huh
(2016-02-25, 17:05)mr-photo Wrote: Hard to see in this picture since it's so close up, but IF i sit about 3ft away from the screen I COULD legibly make out the purple writing. As for the green writing which states "If you don't see black and white dots than there has been scaling", Well, I Don't see black and white dots, only a smooth grey background. Since these two results conflict (the purple writing being legible (somewhat), but no black and white dots) I am not quite sure what that means.

Forget about the dots unless you set your TV in "computer" mode or whatever. Those are washed out by the post-processing of the TV. You're definitely in 4K.

I don't get the rest of your post. Is there an issue or is it just a generic question?
(2016-02-25, 19:25)Koying Wrote: I don't get the rest of your post. Is there an issue or is it just a generic question?

The issue now seems that when watching a video in Kodi if you hit L1 button you can cycle through several different steps of "best fit" video modes. One of these video modes is called "Original Size". Before the Shield 3.0 update whenever I would watch 4K content, if I put it into "Original Size" mode the entire video was seen on my screen as normal since my screen itself is 4K. There would be no change to the video. Also, before shield 3.0 update if I were to watch say a 1920x1080 video and put it into "original size" mode the 1920x1080 video would fit into a box corresponding to the actual size it would represent on a 4K screen, instead of being upconverted to fit the entire 4K screen. It's basically a pixel per pixel adaptation of the video to fit YOUR current viewing screen. A 1280x720 file would be a smaller box and so on and so on.
So, now after Shield 3.0 update, playing 4K content in "original size" will Zoom in to the video showing you only 1/4 of the image, and playing 1920x1080 videos in "original size" will play the content full screen. This tells me that Kodi believes that the screen I am using to watch my content is actually 1080 and not 4K.
Yep, that's a bug. Please open a trac ticket for this.
I have a nvidia shield that just updated and it's messed up to. If you go to the base level Android TV, prior to booting Kodi, you'll notice it's stuck at 1080p at well. Even if you go to settings and set 4k 60hz.

Then go to android TV and run Aida64, you'll see you're stuck in 1080p I am not seeing support for this on any android / nvidia forum. It's driving me insane. Unfortunately the Kodi 16, and Marshmellow update were so close together, I'm having a hard time troubleshooting.
(2016-02-25, 23:38)turtlesaur Wrote: I have a nvidia shield that just updated and it's messed up to. If you go to the base level Android TV, prior to booting Kodi, you'll notice it's stuck at 1080p at well. Even if you go to settings and set 4k 60hz.

Then go to android TV and run Aida64, you'll see you're stuck in 1080p I am not seeing support for this on any android / nvidia forum. It's driving me insane. Unfortunately the Kodi 16, and Marshmellow update were so close together, I'm having a hard time troubleshooting.

How are you seeing what the base level Android TV is running at? Are you using Aida64 for that? My TV itself says it is running at 4k 60Hz throught all of this.
When I boot the shield I can set it to 4K. When playing a movie in Kodi it switch back automatically to 1080. When I exit Kodi the shield is still in 1080 and I can not get it back to 4K in the settings.
(2016-02-26, 03:49)mr-photo Wrote: How are you seeing what the base level Android TV is running at? Are you using Aida64 for that? My TV itself says it is running at 4k 60Hz throught all of this.

Don't know "Aida64", but "adb shell dumpsys SurfaceFlinger" is your friend Wink
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 4K support broken on Shield TV Marshmallow2