• 24(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
(2015-07-17, 19:27)roadie Wrote: Final question. If I setup windows and run the updates, do I just then put Openelec on the Usb. Can I then boot openelec from the usb or do I need to do some messing about?

As in do I need to change the bios?

You can just install openelec to the hard drive and it will replace windows.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
As86 try this
How to get the Windows 10 upgrade icon if it's missing

the solution above is also linking to offical microsot site
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...65b?auth=1

the first link should be good enough, but if you rather use the second link Smile
Ah thanks.
I dont want to replace windows.. i would like an option to use OpenElec aswell as windows. i just wanted to know what Openelec was like. Ta
Ok you can run it live from the install USB, or install to a second USB.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-17, 14:50)Methanoid Wrote: Anyone upgraded their SSD and wanna flog me their old 32Gb? Wink

I might when my sata cable turns up
I thougt that windows will be on the ssd. So I should put open elec on a usb? How do I launch it from the Usb? As in how do I select it without opening windows? Lol. Bit of a noob at times
Its the BIOS/UEFI that handles booting into either WInodws on the SSD or Openelec on the USB drive. Windows has nothing to do with booting Openelec from USB.
(2015-07-18, 04:17)roadie Wrote: I thougt that windows will be on the ssd. So I should put open elec on a usb? How do I launch it from the Usb? As in how do I select it without opening windows? Lol. Bit of a noob at times

What I did is keep windows on the ssd and install openelec onto a USB stick.

Openelec is an entire operating system, just a very basic one designed only to run Kodi. That way you turn on your device and it boots directly to Kodi - you cannot run anything else in this mode. Take a look at www.openelec.tv for further info on openelec.

Essentially think of the USB stick like an external drive, which you can boot from. Windows and openelec are entirely distinct and separate operating systems and do not interact with each other.

Choosing which drive to boot from has to be setup in the bios and isn't really something you would constantly be changing. It requires you to press the F10 key on your keyboard at boot up and select which drive will be 1st in the boot order. If you take a look at the earlier posts in this thread, noggin describes how to set this up.

If you're not bothered about ever running windows on this HP unit, then instead of installing openelec onto a USB stick, you can install it to the internal ssd. If you do this, it will wipe the entire ssd and windows will be gone!

I think it's handy to have a windows licence and I didn't want to wipe it, which is why I have openelec running from the USB stick on mine.

There are a few alternatives;

1, You could buy another M2 ssd and swap it with the existing internal one. That way you could install openelec onto the new internal ssd and if you ever changed your mind you could just swap the ssd modules back over and have windows up and running again.

2, Buy the HP special sata cable (and screws) and install an internal 2.5" (laptop style) hdd or ssd. You could install openelec to this and again set this BIOS to boot from this drive. Windows would remain untouched on the internal M2 ssd.

3, Backup windows (including the licence key) and install openelec to the internal M2 ssd. Again noggin has detailed this earlier in the thread. This doesn't require buying anything else (assuming you have something to store the windows backup onto). ***PLEASE NOTE*** make sure you double check your backup is successful. This will wipe windows and you could potentially lose it if your backup hasn't worked.

I suggest whatever option you choose it is sensible to make a backup of the windows install onto a separate device (USB stick, external HDD, network or another PC). It is possible you could accidentally wipe the windows install from the M2 ssd, if you chose the wrong option when installing openelec.

Of course, as others have already mentioned, you could just install the windows version of Kodi and use that. If you want Kodi to start at boot up from windows this can be setup with another piece of software - I just can't remember what it's called at the moment! I'm sure if you do a search or ask, someone else will be able to help with that.

I hope this info helps and doesn't confuse you further. Good luck and let us know how you get on!
(2015-07-18, 08:35)decpvr Wrote: If you want Kodi to start at boot up from windows this can be setup with another piece of software - I just can't remember what it's called at the moment! I'm sure if you do a search or ask, someone else will be able to help with that.

Launcher4kodi will do this
Thanks, that's the one! I couldn't remember the name of it.
(2015-07-18, 11:15)stammie Wrote:
(2015-07-18, 08:35)decpvr Wrote: If you want Kodi to start at boot up from windows this can be setup with another piece of software - I just can't remember what it's called at the moment! I'm sure if you do a search or ask, someone else will be able to help with that.

Launcher4kodi will do this
I have set my one to boot straight into kodi using this programme. Very good. I also set mine up to autologin to Windows which will help with the boot time.
Not quite as fast as openelec boot but it definitely gives the impression of a dedicated kodi box.
I notice computer universe has a similar HP 260 G1 unit which has a 500GB HDD and a built in wifi card:

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/produ...8l21ea.asp

I think it should work out to about £99 delivered (depending on exchange rates and shipping options).

Maybe good to save on sata cables and wifi card costs for someone?
€ 153.58 with shipping decpvr (about £106.60, this is with paypal). I would double check on wifi, because they advertised that on their pentium version, when it came back in stock they said no WIFI.

I think like you, one of the appeal of the HP 260 G1 is the windows 8.1 included, the computer universe doesn't have windows included so you need to factor in that. but I think its a great deal if your not looking to get windows, especially if its including wifi, need a voluenteer to take the first plunge lol
Bad news: got one of the "confirmed" working adapters... and it does not work for me! Tried the adapter on another PC, and it works just fine... Any idea what I can try before getting another one and hoping that one will work? Anything to tweak in the BIOS, the drivers? I got everything working right except this :'(

I know some of you are waiting for me to review this machine, but I'm waiting to get everything working before writing a thorough review. All that's missing is a working adapter, the USB WiFi and IR Remote I got are working fine.
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
(2015-07-18, 12:25)LarrxX Wrote: Bad news: got one of the "confirmed" working adapters... and it does not work for me! Tried the adapter on another PC, and it works just fine... Any idea what I can try before getting another one and hoping that one will work? Anything to tweak in the BIOS, the drivers? I got everything working right except this :'(

I know some of you are waiting for me to review this machine, but I'm waiting to get everything working before writing a thorough review. All that's missing is a working adapter, the USB WiFi and IR Remote I got are working fine.

That's the one I got and it was plug and play, I didn't change a single thing.
Have you got another HDMI cable you can try with it?
whilst its different hardware I found a couple of HDMI cables wouldn't work with my Pipo X7 despite working on others PC's but other cables did work,
for my adapter I just pulled the cable out of the Pipo and plugged it into the HP.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2