• 28(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
(2020-02-02, 19:22)jogal Wrote:
(2020-02-02, 19:14)yeahme49 Wrote:
(2020-02-02, 14:50)jogal Wrote: Version 2.1.0
Updated at 02-02-2020 (forked from Kodi 19 alpha master).

Updated with latest master branch commits. Includes UHD BD improvements.
Fix for 4K HDR 60 fps content (Gemini Man).
Disabled Nvidia sharing textures (stuttering fix).
SetMaximumFrameLatency to 1 again.
Discrete decoding can use D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_12_0.

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Have fun!    Smile

Using Nvidia GTX 1060 with this latest version and not experiencing any issues with stuttering or tearing.

Is this correct that even though Windows HDR is on, Kodi is using SDR mode until an HDR movie is played? Based off other comments in this thread, I thought Kodi would be in HDR mode any time Windows HDR was enabled, causing max brightness and other issues during SDR content. I'm not getting that on my end though, HDR is only on when HDR content is played.      

This is correct.  With NVIDIA  HDR <==> SDR  switch is totally automatic and is not needed toggle button. However Intel and Ryzen have other behavior and it is necessary manual toggle. Even so, if SDR contents are reproduced with HDR activated, the colors are correct.

Quote:Using Nvidia GTX 1060 with this latest version and not experiencing any issues with stuttering or tearing.
EUREKA!!! It seems that this version definitely fixes NVIDIA issues for ALL! 

Awesome!  Tearing and stuttering appear to be gone on this version for me as well.  Playback now looks perfect on nvidia 1070.  Thank you so much!!  I'd be curious to know how you finally fixed these issues if you are inclined to share, though the answer might be over my head.  If I'm not mistaken, I think I was struggling with some stuttering for SDR video even with the main branch of Kodi so it seems like you resolved that too.
Yeah The issue is not HDR or 4K exclusive is also present for SDR 1080p in main branch.... but now it has been more obvious.... NO LONGER  Big Grin

(2020-02-02, 21:46)mgittelman Wrote: if you are inclined to share
source is public  Tongue
Did anyone get over saturated colors in the last builds?
I did play a couple of files and suddenly the colors were completely over saturated - HDR mode with HDR title
(2020-02-02, 19:22)jogal Wrote:
(2020-02-02, 19:14)yeahme49 Wrote: Using Nvidia GTX 1060 with this latest version and not experiencing any issues with stuttering or tearing.

Is this correct that even though Windows HDR is on, Kodi is using SDR mode until an HDR movie is played? Based off other comments in this thread, I thought Kodi would be in HDR mode any time Windows HDR was enabled, causing max brightness and other issues during SDR content. I'm not getting that on my end though, HDR is only on when HDR content is played.      

This is correct.  With NVIDIA  HDR <==> SDR  switch is totally automatic and is not needed toggle button. However Intel and Ryzen have other behavior and it is necessary manual toggle. Even so, if SDR contents are reproduced with HDR activated, the colors are correct.

Quote:Using Nvidia GTX 1060 with this latest version and not experiencing any issues with stuttering or tearing.
EUREKA!!! It seems that this version definitely fixes NVIDIA issues for ALL! 

Well, not so fast. I've got an nVidia 1660. Here's what happens for me (thanks yeahme for writing this up):

I open Kodi and my TV goes black for a couple seconds, because Windows HDR gets activated but my TV is still in SDR mode. While on the Kodi main menu, my TV shows that it is in SDR mode. If I Alt+Tab to the Windows desktop, my TV switches to HDR mode. Alt+Tab back to Kodi, it goes to SDR mode. I play a 1080p movie without HDR and it stays in SDR mode. If I play a 4k movie with HDR, my TV does NOT switch to HDR. If I alt-tab while playing the movie back to another window I can see the movie switch to HDR, but going back to Kodi it switches back to SDR.

I've been using Fandangos branch for a while, although I tried yours for a bit about a month or two ago and HDR content played correctly then. Not sure if something has changed or I need to do something differently now.
If you don't Alt-TAB occurs the same?

Because is not normal behavior to use Alt-Tab when kodi is in full screen. I don't need use Alt-Tab for nothing.

I assume that people use Kodi in full screen to watch 4K...

Quote:Do I need to remove his privateApi advanced setting or anything?
I don't know.
(2020-02-02, 22:44)jogal Wrote: If you don't Alt-TAB occurs the same?

Because is not normal behavior to use Alt-Tab when kodi is in full screen. I don't need use Alt-Tab for nothing.

I don't know. 
Yeah, I only watch in full screen. I was just stating that Alt-Tab shows that HDR really is being enabled on startup and the mode isn't being disabled or anything when the movie is playing... it's just not engaging. I removed the privateApi advanced setting and it didn't change anything.

Still playing around.

I'm on the 441.28 nVidia driver for 11/18/2019. I assume that's not too old.
I clarify that what is solved in the latest version are the NVIDIA stuttering/tearing issues.

Toggle HDR is manual but for 99% people with NVIDIA is automatic because is a feature of NVIDIA drivers. It doesn't have to be that way for everyone or with all the drivers.
(2020-02-02, 22:53)Mordred Wrote:

I don't know.     
Yeah, I only watch in full screen. I was just stating that Alt-Tab shows that HDR really is being enabled on startup and the mode isn't being disabled or anything when the movie is playing... it's just not engaging. I removed the privateApi advanced setting and it didn't change anything.

Still playing around.

Check GUI Settings > Player > Use HDR display capabilities = ON

Just open Kodi  (don't use ALT-Tab)  if you need toggle use powerconfig menu

don't use external tools for toggle while kodi stay open
(2020-02-02, 22:58)jogal Wrote: Check GUI Settings > Player > Use HDR display capabilities = ON 
It was enabled when I started up the first time.

Your last post got me thinking, and I switched over to having "Use Fullscreen window" checked, and suddenly HDR mode is engaged when an HDR movie starts.

I don't know.  

Still playing around.

Just for reference I'm using 441.12 11/04/2019 with my GTX 1060.

The only issue I'm experiencing is on the main menu at times there seems to be a massive slow down. Moving from menu item to menu item, it seems like it's going at like 5fps, it's very choppy. But it's not constantly like that. I don't have that issue with Windows HDR turned off, only when Windows HDR is on and Kodi is on main menu in SDR mode due to nVidia auto switching. I'm not sure if it's just because it's converting SDR to HDR to SDR or something weird. It's not a major issue, but it is noticeable. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this.
(2020-02-02, 23:17)yeahme49 Wrote:

I don't know.  

Still playing around.

Just for reference I'm using 441.12 11/04/2019 with my GTX 1060.

The only issue I'm experiencing is on the main menu at times there seems to be a massive slow down. Moving from menu item to menu item, it seems like it's going at like 5fps, it's very choppy. But it's not constantly like that. I don't have that issue with Windows HDR turned off, only when Windows HDR is on and Kodi is on main menu in SDR mode due to nVidia auto switching. I'm not sure if it's just because it's converting SDR to HDR to SDR or something weird. It's not a major issue, but it is noticeable. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. 
Thanks for the version check.

I haven't seen that menu slowdown so far, but I just started playing with it. Are you using Fullscreen Window or no?
I just checked and "Use Fullscreen Window" is enabled (I think that's the default setting). I tried disabling it and it appears to have the same slowdown, but I haven't test it that long. HDR works for me in both Fullscreen Window enabled and disabled.
I recommend real full screen.

Windowed full screen is for better compatibility in a multi-display setups (is lost some performance)

However I have not noticed the menu slow down.
Slow GUI it can be because desktop refresh rate. Set Windows desktop to 4K - 59.94 fps
(2020-02-02, 23:31)jogal Wrote: I recommend real full screen.

Windowed full screen is for better compatibility in a multi-display setups (is lost some performance)
Yeah, but if HDR isn't working in real full screen I don't have any other option Smile
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2