• 38(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean you were wrong and I was right. Thanks for the explanation and for the continuing development on this.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2020-02-24, 23:47)jogal Wrote: 2) SDR 60 Hz but with Windows HDR switch ON (Windows internally tonemaps SDR desktop or apps to "fake HDR"). Colors are rendered very, very similar to SDR... seeing the image you cannot know if it is native SDR or mapped SDR. Is Rec 709 color space mapped into Rec 2020 color space and transfer characteristics of SDR gamma 2.2 (not HDR PQ).

Because Windows switching is complicated and time consuming. Is used mode "2" only when is finished to watch HDR video and probably the next video is also HDR....

If next video is SDR is switched to real SDR. First switch resolution and refresh rate (as always). Second switch Windows HDR OFF. Third switch again resolution and refresh rate. (five or six seconds in total).

If you no watch HDR videos in all day, GUI and all videos are rendered all the time in SDR as always...

I think that this issue is being given too much importance... just when most people still don't use it....

To have confidence that if I have done it this way it is because I have a good reason for it. I have spent many hours doing tests with different configurations (Intel and NVIDIA) and this is how I have obtained the best experience....
You say that, but I don't think that's quite true. At least, not enough to where I can in good conscience be happy about having it on all the time. This is all an issue with how Windows tonemaps SDR colors to HDR. Depending on what you slide the setting to in Display Settings, you end up either with a similarly-bright image with black crush, or an overly-bright image. One removes detail in dark instances, and the other blows out nits and increases life drain on your screen. The latter is especially true for OLED televisions and monitors.

I understand if it's more difficult - even significantly so - to implement the HDR switching in a way that only has it truly active when necessary. But I think it really is the best way to work with this. And it seems there's several in this thread that agree with that line of thinking.

I'm sorry if I seem pushy about this subject. With DSPlayer forever stuck at Kodi v17 (and likely going to gradually break down as add-ons move to Python 3) and fandangos' HDR Edition fork ceasing development, this has become our only, best hope out there for an ideal HDR implementation in a modern Kodi environment.
Switching back to SDR automatically after playback is definitely needed. Kodi’s GUI has not yet been optimised for HDR rendering and looks off with fake HDR applied. There is a clear visual difference when comparing the two.

Until such time I will happily stick to madVR + external player embedded into Kodi. No offence but it gets tiring being told what to think. We can agree to disagree but there is no need to tell us what is and isn’t acceptable. Clearly there are varying opinions on the subject.
I have. No clue what he is talking about...
Any chance we could get tone mapping disabled by default due to hrd auto switch keeps enabling tonemapping

I watch hrd content and I have to keep disabling it

Either that or at least auto, off when watching hdr and on when watching 1080p sd.
Sorry, not understand your question.

If you have HDR display not need tone mapping for nothing:

HDR sources played passthrough (no need tone mapping).
SDR sources played in SDR (no need tone mapping).

So not understand you.

What is tone mapping for you? and and why need enable/disable?
(2020-02-26, 13:25)jogal Wrote: Sorry, not understand your question.

If you have HDR display not need tone mapping for nothing:

HDR sources played passthrough (no need tone mapping).
SDR sources played in SDR (no need tone mapping).

So not understand you.

What is tone mapping for you? and and why need enable/disable?

every time i start up kodi tone mapping is always enabled so i have to keep disabling it

the setting dose not seem to save!

can you make a version with tone mapping auto disabled then?

what is the need for tone mapping anyway?
As I said no need tone mapping if your system has HDR display....

Do you have a real problem: wrong colors, oversaturated colors, etc?   Yes/No

If the response is (Yes) explain the problem or take screenshoots/video of bad image.

If the response is (No) ignore "tone mapping" setting.

The only tone mapping setting in Kodi is in contextual menu while is playing a video and this setting is IGNORED if is playing HDR video in HDR display. You do NOT need enable or disable because does nothing.
(2020-02-26, 19:55)jogal Wrote: As I said no need tone mapping if your system has HDR display....

Do you have a real problem: wrong colors, oversaturated colors, etc?   Yes/No

If the response is (Yes) explain the problem or take screenshoots/video of bad image.

If the response is (No) ignore "tone mapping" setting.

The only tone mapping setting in Kodi is in contextual menu while is playing a video and this setting is IGNORED if is playing HDR video in HDR display. You do NOT need enable or disable because does nothing.

if it is contextual then that is fine i will leave it auto enabled i was not sure if it messed with image/video quality in anyway that is all. yes i play 2160p hdr also 1080p sdr on sony ag8 secondary screen/tv
Version 3.1.0
Updated at 28-02-2020 (forked from Kodi 19 alpha master).

Improved HDR auto-switch timings synchronization: playing not start until switch is finished.
SDR is not restored on exit if auto switch setting is not enabled.
Updated with latest master branch commits.

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Have fun  Smile
Oh, thx that sound really good. I'll take a look as soon as I have some spare time, probably Monday
thank you very much for this new release

visually very good but still getting minor stutter (2160p) hdr content i suspect its to do with dxva2 enabled but am no expert

just noticed in your mentioned key features stutter can still effect some users.....
(2020-02-28, 12:00)jogal Wrote: Version 3.1.0
Updated at 28-02-2020 (forked from Kodi 19 alpha master).

Improved HDR auto-switch timings synchronization: playing not start until switch is finished.
SDR is not restored on exit if auto switch setting is not enabled.
Updated with latest master branch commits.

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Have fun  Smile
I tried this version and it fixed some bugs/crashes for me it seems. The switching back to sdr doesn't work though when stopping hdr content. Auto switch is enabled when I use hdr capability in options right? I tried to debug, but kodi keeps crashing when I do, so not much help there unfortunately. FYI , I use every recommended/specified option to test as to get a reliable outcome (including full rgb).hdr gets enabled just fine and when I start sdr it switches as well, so no errors there.

Edit: maybe I misunderstood the following sentence
Quote:SDR is not restored on exit if auto switch setting is not enabled.
​​​​​​
This implies that if the setting is enabled, kodi returns to sdr on exit video or exit program?
@Statler1978 /  @jogal 

Switching seems to work fine.

For me the automation works like this:

1 ) Windows SDR- > Kodi SDR GUI -> play HDR file -> switch to HDR,  Hz resolution change - > playback starts -> playback stop -> reverts resolution to Kodi defaults -> HDR stays enabled -> exit Kodi -> change to SDR  

2 ) Windows SDR- > Kodi SDR GUI -> play HDR file -> switch to HDR,  Hz resolution change - > playback starts -> playback stop -> reverts resolution to Kodi defaults -> HDR stays enabled -> play SDR  file -> change resolution Hz and switch to SDR ..and so on

Is 1) the intended behavior? Because I still would prefer the GUI to go back to SDR after playback of the HDR content has ended/stopped.
Hi all!
Little bit off, little bit not what i want to ask.
I wanna buy a mini pc/intel nuc. If i know good minimum intel ujd/hd graphics 620 needed to 4k hdr media in intel platforms. I checked this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...i3beh.html Is that enough for hdr and this 19.0 hdr version kodi for windows? Thank you!
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2