• 56(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
Quote:Ok guys, I tried the audio offset and it didn't work. I'm used the setting with DC's Batman: The Killing Joke. It actually started to cause my video to stutter. My biggest guess is that this TV doesn't have the horsepower to decode a high bitrate audio format and transcode it into another audio format like LPCM.

I think I forgot this in the last post but I have my system's audio settings set up for 3.1 sound as the sound bar is a 3.1 system that supports 5.1 AC3 and stereo DTS. Maybe that has something to do with it

I tried AC3 transcoding with Blu-Ray TrueHD track. It worked very well. I don't think it gets any more complex than that?
(2016-09-19, 16:47)hirez Wrote: If its only a 100mbit nic this is awful, this alone is sure to cause problems.
wired is for sure just 100mbit on 2015 models. And AFAIK 2016 models are the same when it comes to HW and SoC.
Quote:I have the 2016, and i will test over Wifi instead, and see what kind of difference this makes.
That's for sure your best bet. With AC 2xMIMO 80MHz, you get a theoretical 867mbit. Practical bandwidth would be about half at optimal radio conditions. However AC on the Sony is limited to USB 2.0. Practical data rates should therefore be around 200mbit. However, if you go through several walls, it might very well be below that.
I ran several more tests.
Wifi was marginally better over the 5ghz than wired.

But the weird thing is, that i have files that are 65 gb and 4K, like batman movie.
It runs perfect first 15 seconds.. then stutters for 10 and then its all smooth.
That means that even over 100 mbit nic, i am able to stream 65 gigs.
How come a sample of 500 mb stutters? Doesnt make sense.

So several times, if you just skip 10-20 seconds into the movie it all runs smooth.
Even the "sony camp" video, is able to run in all different protocols, NFS usually works.
But adding videos through plug and play option, seems to give the best smoothness actually.

I am starting to wonder if this might have to do with buffers and caches instead?

If there is anything else you guys think i should try, or other footage, tell me.
File size should not matter, but file size/duration, so the bitrate of the content.

Was it a 802.11n network? This can also be on 5GHz but probably too slow at a distance. Better go with 802.11ac.
Yes i account for bitrate, just some example
Batman 7,2 MB per sec. This means if movie is 20 gb, they should run NO problem as bitrate is a third.

Birds 10 MB per sec this ones tougher to get smooth.
Jellyfsh 14,3 MB per sec (this one is also the toughest to get to work smoothly).
Sony Camp 8,81 works 90 % of time, but sometimes hiccup at start only.

So now, maybe not correct calculated but gives a view of what is more or less demanding.

Bravia only gives me option to connect wifi over the 5GHz.. gonna check tonight.
(2016-09-19, 16:49)CiNcH Wrote: I tried AC3 transcoding with Blu-Ray TrueHD track. It worked very well. I don't think it gets any more complex than that?

Dang. Wish I had your luck. I did find that transcoding tried to my 3.1 setup gave better results than DTS-HD

Sent from my Nexus 5X
I don't think that the transcoding inside Kodi ever outputs 3.1. It will most likely do 5.1 and your AVR will do a downmix.
5.1 signal via ac3. When Input Signal > 2 channels but no upmix.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi all,
this seems to be a very informative thread, but, unfortunately, I was not able to locate the answer to the issue I am having with my Sony TV and Kodi.
Issue - no surround sound passes through from TV to the AVR. Only stereo.
Equipment:
SONY BRAVIA KDL-43W756C
Marantz SR5009
HDMI to ARC connection both on TV and AVR.
AVR: HDMI control ON.
Speakers: 3.1 at the moment. (I can tell that there is no surround, because no sound is coming from the center.) Everything is connected and calibrated. When I play DVD's - all is good.
HDMI cable - high speed.
Kodi: in the settings - system - audio: no option "enable pass through". When the movie is playing - pass through is enabled in the sound options.
On TV I tried Audio 1, Audio 2 and PCM - nothing works. Same thing if I play the movie on VLC player - only stereo.
Movies are on HDD connected to the TV.
I have even uninstalled Kodi, and re-installed it again. The enable pass through option appeared for a short period of time and disappeared after like 15 min. However, when it was there, everything was crazy - no sound through the speakers, each time I have started a movie, volume was at 100 and only some noise. I was so pissed, until everything suddenly just came back to where I started - Kodi working properly, but no pass through option and only stereo sound.. I dont get it...

Maybe this TV set is generally not passing the 5.1 via ARC and I am just wasting time..? I have no optical cable to try it out.
I am already considering to buy something like Mede8er 600 to use it as external player (without all the Android sh*t) and connect it straight to the AVR, and then only pass the Video to the TV.
Ultimate goal is to be able to simply watch movies that are on the HDD.
Could someone advise, please..?

Thank you!
(2016-09-22, 12:29)kixxoff Wrote: Kodi: in the settings - system - audio: no option "enable pass through".

You have to enable it.
You can disable passthrough per video, but not enable it.
(2016-09-22, 12:44)Koying Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 12:29)kixxoff Wrote: Kodi: in the settings - system - audio: no option "enable pass through".

You have to enable it.

The problem is, as I said, this option (to enable pass through) is not in the list within the settings. Only while the video is playing, when I go to sound settings - its there and it is enabled. But still no surround sound Sad
(2016-09-22, 12:29)kixxoff Wrote: Hi all,
this seems to be a very informative thread, but, unfortunately, I was not able to locate the answer to the issue I am having with my Sony TV and Kodi.
Issue - no surround sound passes through from TV to the AVR. Only stereo.
Equipment:
SONY BRAVIA KDL-43W756C
Marantz SR5009
HDMI to ARC connection both on TV and AVR.
AVR: HDMI control ON.
Speakers: 3.1 at the moment. (I can tell that there is no surround, because no sound is coming from the center.) Everything is connected and calibrated. When I play DVD's - all is good.
HDMI cable - high speed.
Kodi: in the settings - system - audio: no option "enable pass through". When the movie is playing - pass through is enabled in the sound options.
On TV I tried Audio 1, Audio 2 and PCM - nothing works. Same thing if I play the movie on VLC player - only stereo.
Movies are on HDD connected to the TV.
I have even uninstalled Kodi, and re-installed it again. The enable pass through option appeared for a short period of time and disappeared after like 15 min. However, when it was there, everything was crazy - no sound through the speakers, each time I have started a movie, volume was at 100 and only some noise. I was so pissed, until everything suddenly just came back to where I started - Kodi working properly, but no pass through option and only stereo sound.. I dont get it...

Maybe this TV set is generally not passing the 5.1 via ARC and I am just wasting time..? I have no optical cable to try it out.
I am already considering to buy something like Mede8er 600 to use it as external player (without all the Android sh*t) and connect it straight to the AVR, and then only pass the Video to the TV.
Ultimate goal is to be able to simply watch movies that are on the HDD.
Could someone advise, please..?

Thank you!

Just joined this forum today and my first post was going to be exactly the same - I've got the 55" version of this TV with Kodi happily installed and can only get stereo output (displayed on my Denon amp).

I am wondering the same as you that it doesn't pass 5.1 through ARC. If you select a digital channel from the front end Android menu such as BBC1, 2, CH4 etc then that also only passes through ARC as stereo (but if I use my Vu+ satellite box which is HDMI connected to my amp these channels output in surround)

I know there are some limitations regarding ARC audio playback but it should still do better than 2.0

Also don't want to attempt to pass a digital cable through as all my wires are in the wall!!!
(2016-09-22, 13:59)kixxoff Wrote:
(2016-09-22, 12:44)Koying Wrote:

You have to enable it.

The problem is, as I said, this option (to enable pass through) is not in the list within the settings. Only while the video is playing, when I go to sound settings - its there and it is enabled. But still no surround sound Sad

Have you any 3.5 jack in the headphones/audio out/subwoofer connection? if yes PT will not be available in KODI/SPMC under that case.
Before it was not a problem but with recent versions it is. It was plausible if the jack was used only for headphones but since it can be set to either line out or subwoofer connections it not understandable to have to connect and disconnect each time we need multi channel audio under PT.
Other possible cause may be not having settings in expert mode.
We don't check the jack, we check if audio is routed to the headphones...
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8