• 83(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
I'm going to apologize in advance because this post may become a bit long winded/rambling, but I'm just reaching out to try and get some information/confirmation on what I'm seeing.

I've downloaded the Kodi HDR Edition (I got what I found to be the most recent version of this that wasn't integrated into the "full" Kodi 19, but I imagine functionality is similar) and it just seems to me that one way or the other, my HDR experience isn't correct. My chain is an LG C7P, Denon X4500H, and I'm comparing both a PC running this Kodi and an Nvidia Shield Pro using Plex. PC specs are an Intel 9700k & GeForce 2080ti. Same exact video sources; straight rips from 4k disc to a full MKV file in MakeMKV. So we're talking the full 60-80gb'ish mkv files. 

There's a definite difference between the HDR I see on the Shield and what's on the PC. It's not like the PC output looks "bad," it doesn't. It's just that I notice on the Shield, this is more brightness/details brought out in general. I guess a quick example I could give is the beginning of Avengers Endgame when Tony is recording the message into his helmet; it's definitely a difference between the details I can easily notice in the helmet on the Shield playback vs PC. And it's like that for other movie examples I watch as well; Back to the Future when Marty first meets Doc in 1955 inside his house is a bit darker on PC than it is on the Shield, etc. It's just an overall thing where again it's not like the PC version looks bad or something....it doesn't. Not at all. To the point where if I didn't get have this Shield to know that there IS a difference, I may not have said anything. But it's definitely there.

I don't know if it's a settings thing with the PC, the TV, or what. All I know is that they're different and it's my GUESS that the Shield version is what I'm "supposed" to be seeing considering that as far as I've been made aware, this type of setup on the Shield just works the way it's supposed to. But I'm open to any suggestions/information that could be given. I'd just like to know that the 4k/HDR movies I'm watching are actually displaying HDR correctly. If it's not possible for me to match the PC output to the Shield, then I guess I'll just use the Shield long term. But if I could choose, I'd just have the 1 device. Thanks.
(2020-11-30, 23:29)mva5580 Wrote: I've downloaded the Kodi HDR Edition

What about download Kodi v19 Beta 1Huh

https://kodi.tv/download
Isnt the Beta here included as well?
(2020-12-01, 14:03)ssj3rd Wrote: Isnt the Beta here included as well?

Here is not "HDR Edition"  (https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Edition)

Here is "HDR Windows API" = v19 Beta 1 / Nightlies
Where is the difference? Isnt HDR Windows included in the official Beta as well?
(2020-12-03, 15:32)ssj3rd Wrote: Where is the difference? Isnt HDR Windows included in the official Beta as well?
Fandangos version used proprietary APIs. Jogal uses Windows API.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Hmm ok
The normal Kodi Nightly build (as will the next Beta) has all the latest HDR and all other DirectX/GPU enhancements/fixes from jogal, so there is no reason for using any special build at the current time.
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but have trouble enabling hardware acceleration in Kodi 19 and the latest night builds. My CPU runs constantly at around 18-30%, but if I test the same videos in other programs than Kodi 19, it usually shows 1-5% of CPU consumption. DXVA2 is turned on and "Render method" set to DXVA. Running the latest NVDIA driver (457.51) but also previous drivers give the same result. Does not matter if I test HDR / HEVC videos, 4K or 1080P. Rarely gets CPU consumption below 20%. See screendump link below.

(2020-12-04, 14:37)jjd-uk Wrote: The normal Kodi Nightly build (as will the next Beta) has all the latest HDR and all other DirectX/GPU enhancements/fixes from jogal, so there is no reason for using any special build at the current time.

The next beta?
But the current Beta has not all the enhancements?
Hey guys!

Im done with raspberry pis, old desktops that make a lot of noise or xiaomi box s with stuttering streaming video. I was thinking of buying a NUC or similar that can handle proxmox running home assistant os + windows with kodi running at 4k. What you think should be the minimum config so I can save a bit?

Thanks!
(2020-12-06, 17:46)ssj3rd Wrote:
(2020-12-04, 14:37)jjd-uk Wrote: The normal Kodi Nightly build (as will the next Beta) has all the latest HDR and all other DirectX/GPU enhancements/fixes from jogal, so there is no reason for using any special build at the current time.

The next beta?
But the current Beta has not all the enhancements?

I said that as I've lost track of exactly what was in Beta 1 since jogal has been doing quite a few improvements/fixes/code tidy up. For HDR I believe all the enhancements were in Beta 1 but not 100% sure, as jogal has done stuff since then but I don't think any of those were connected to HDR.
(2020-12-06, 23:49)glorifiedg Wrote: Hey guys!

Im done with raspberry pis, old desktops that make a lot of noise or xiaomi box s with stuttering streaming video. I was thinking of buying a NUC or similar that can handle proxmox running home assistant os + windows with kodi running at 4k. What you think should be the minimum config so I can save a bit?

Thanks!
check out ryzen deskmini a300/x300, afair they are cheaper then intel nucs
I run a Deskimini and are very happy with it.
"Auto switch HDR mode and color space. Enable this feature from "Settings > Player > Use HDR display capabilities" = ON."
I no find this option, only something about stereoscopy 3D...
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2