• 9(current)
Windows 10 Fall update (1511) broke my SMB!!!
(2016-01-17, 11:04)teeedubb Wrote: After these MS shenanigans I set one of my PC's to receive the insider updates and there was a big update that downloaded today (and rebooted automatically when I stepped out for a bit, causing me to lose where I was at with my work Angry). Now I can again browse non-windows samba shares via windows explorer and kodi. Doesn't look like there's an easy way to roll back to standard windows 10, so I'm stuck running beta MS software on this PC for the time being - yay!!!

Luckily I run all of my video from a NAS but this made it very hard to set up Kodi at other people's homes where all they have for video storage is a Windows 10 PC.
So I've been going through same issues with smb not working with kodi after windows 10 update. I was desperate and rolled back to XBMC 13.2 – Gotham and no issues. been using Gotham for a couple of weeks so far so good. I also went extreme and downgraded back to win 8.1, ran Kodi and everything is also working. so pick your poison. roll back to xbmc or roll back to win 8.1. all depends on how frustrated you are.
(2016-01-25, 19:34)awatts11 Wrote: So I've been going through same issues with smb not working with kodi after windows 10 update. I was desperate and rolled back to XBMC 13.2 – Gotham and no issues. been using Gotham for a couple of weeks so far so good. I also went extreme and downgraded back to win 8.1, ran Kodi and everything is also working. so pick your poison. roll back to xbmc or roll back to win 8.1. all depends on how frustrated you are.

Tried that, got the "package not compatible with your device (NEON)" message. Sad
The best solution I found was the following...

Set the following keys in the Windows Registry:

[HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"AllowInsecureGuestAuth"=dword:00000001
"IRPStackSize"=dword:00000021
"Size"=dword:00000003

Do not forget to note the previous values ​​in case you need to revert.
(2016-01-25, 19:34)awatts11 Wrote: So I've been going through same issues with smb not working with kodi after windows 10 update. I was desperate and rolled back to XBMC 13.2 – Gotham and no issues. been using Gotham for a couple of weeks so far so good.
Interesting. I wonder if Kodi can be updated to fix this.
(2016-01-27, 09:49)Tibasa Wrote: The best solution I found was the following...

[HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"AllowInsecureGuestAuth" is important, here. The other keys are most certainly unrelated.
(2016-01-27, 11:39)Koying Wrote:
(2016-01-27, 09:49)Tibasa Wrote: The best solution I found was the following...

"AllowInsecureGuestAuth" is important, here. The other keys are most certainly unrelated.

I had already changed the "Size" value in lanmanserver before I made the initial post in this thread, however I don't see the "AllowInsecureGuestAuth" or "IRPStackSize" keys at all.
Sorry, but the solution I posted yesterday (above), no longer works today.
I found this information by searching on some forums , and yesterday when tested , really had worked.
Yesterday I restarted the computer several times , and continued working.

It is an intermittent problem, and hard to find.
Let´s keep trying.
(2016-01-27, 19:54)Tibasa Wrote: Sorry, but the solution I posted yesterday (above), no longer works today.
I found this information by searching on some forums , and yesterday when tested , really had worked.
Yesterday I restarted the computer several times , and continued working.

It is an intermittent problem, and hard to find.
Let´s keep trying.

Certainly seems that way. Yesterday I tried setting up the shares again, and was successful in finding them, but only found a portion of the content in the shares would show up. Attempting to back out and re-navigate to the shares would show a couple more folders, or an invalid argument. Definitely intermittent.
I thought I would throw in my 2 bits into this for a 'workaround.'
I finally ended up installing emby server on my windows 10 computer and then installing the emby addon onto my android device with kodi. Since emby is handling the file serving but allows kodi to populate the standard library I have been able to work around this problem.
(2016-01-29, 00:58)Colin McMillan Wrote: I thought I would throw in my 2 bits into this for a 'workaround.'
I finally ended up installing emby server on my windows 10 computer and then installing the emby addon onto my android device with kodi. Since emby is handling the file serving but allows kodi to populate the standard library I have been able to work around this problem.

Sounded promising, but with my FireTV, I get the "Failed to install a dependency" message when I attempt to install it. Sad
Has anyone tried to disable windows using homegroups to manage sharing (since homegroup devices tend to be only Vista - 10). Then just create a user for the kodi device or disable password protected sharing. Change the security permissions for the shares to either 'everyone' if you disabled password sharing or to the kodi user you setup.

That's how I have mine setup and have never had an issue.
(2016-01-29, 04:26)jakejm79 Wrote: Has anyone tried to disable windows using homegroups to manage sharing (since homegroup devices tend to be only Vista - 10). Then just create a user for the kodi device or disable password protected sharing. Change the security permissions for the shares to either 'everyone' if you disabled password sharing or to the kodi user you setup.

That's how I have mine setup and have never had an issue.

Seems to me that if I do it that way, it takes the intermittent nature out of the issue and just throws me consistent "Invalid Argument" errors when I attempt to navigate to the share.
Have you set all the advanced permissions correctly under the sharing>advanced tab
(2016-01-29, 05:27)jakejm79 Wrote: Have you set all the advanced permissions correctly under the sharing>advanced tab

It seems fairly straightforward, I have a local account, I have the files shared out to that local account, I can see the shares in Kodi when I navigate to them under that local account. It's back to being intermittant, but basically it seems that homegroup or not, the behavior is the same.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 Fall update (1511) broke my SMB!!!4