Win htpc build for wmc,netflix 1080p & xbmc
Hi guys im looking for some help from some of you seasoned members. I want to get my 1st htpc i don't have a problem building one from scratch, and i also have no problem buying a prebuilt model. Mainly what i'm looking for is something that will give me smooth 1080p playback in Netflix(i figure if it can handle that it can give me a smooth wmc & xbmc experience as well). I'm a pretty heavy Netflix user currently, and i see mixed reviews about Netflix hd working on some of the prebuilt htpc's. i have looked at the group 6 recommendations since that seems to be the group i fall in, but in doing some research it seems that 1080p Netflix doesn't work well on some of them. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.
I can't say that I ever tried NetFlix on my system since I already had a Roku box before I built my system.
So, since the family was so familiar in using Netflix through the Roku,..I left it hooked up.
Just something to consider.
In currently have a ps3 that I use for Netflix. I would like to be able to get did of that and just run everything off my htpc
With proper configurations, most modern CPU should be able to stream Netflix HD. Most of the issues encountered by users when streaming Netflix HD are not because of the hardware, it is due to lack of proper support by MS Silverlight and Netflix. It suppose to have hardware acceleration support, but it never work right. I have to set the video quality to the middle in my Netflix account for it to stream fluently on all my hardware (Intel, AMD, etc). It works flawless so far, and the lowest CPU I use is AMD E350.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Something G530 or A6-3500 would work, e.g.: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132688.
I bought a foxconn nt-3700 barebone from newegg to replace my Tivo Premiere and Apple TV3. AMD E-450 APU with an integrated Radon HD 6320. In terms of WMC it was a FAIL. Unstable and unresponsive. With Linux XBMC, following the instructions at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996 or Openelec 2.0 beta for Fusion, it worked well.

I seem to only enjoy Netflix on my Apple TV3. Watching PC versions have always sucked.

I have not found happiness with a budget level HTPC.

Good luck.
Take a look at my hardware guide. My recs are perfect for what you are trying to accomplish. I have major disagreements with some of the recommended builds and pre-built systems on this website.
Thanks assassin your builds are more believable. this is what I've come up with so far

Case: Silverstone ML03
Cpu: Amd a8-3870k w/ a scythe big shuriken 2
Mobo: Asrock A75m Micro Atx
Memory: Kingston Hyper x 8gb
Psu: Corsair Cx-430
(2012-08-01, 14:55)2.0t03speed Wrote: Cpu: Amd a8-3870k w/ a scythe big shuriken 2
If you just want to build an HTPC to handle blu-ray and Netflix using 7MCE and XBMC as you described in your 1st post, the combination above is overkill. A8-3870K tend to run hotter too. For what you needs it for, Intel G530 or G620 w/ 2-4GB of RAM should do the job.......

(2012-08-01, 14:55)2.0t03speed Wrote: Thanks assassin your builds are more believable. this is what I've come up with so far

Case: Silverstone ML03
Cpu: Amd a8-3870k w/ a scythe big shuriken 2
Mobo: Asrock A75m Micro Atx
Psu: Corsair Cx-430

Actually,..you just described the parts list that a lot of posters here have also used.
But I agree with BluRay,...it is overkill if this is all you'll use it for,...
Ehh I looked at the a6 and I saw someone talk about hitching while using Netflix in HD that's the only reason I went with the a8
(2012-08-01, 18:13)2.0t03speed Wrote: Ehh I looked at the a6 and I saw someone talk about hitching while using Netflix in HD that's the only reason I went with the a8

I'm not crazy about the a8. It runs very hot and uses a lot of energy when there are better options. I don't see the niche at all for the a8. I think something like the G620/G630, G620/G630 + discrete card or i3 2105 (or the new i3 HD4000 when they come out in the next few months) is a much better option.

Or, of course, the a6.
(2012-08-01, 18:13)2.0t03speed Wrote: Ehh I looked at the a6 and I saw someone talk about hitching while using Netflix in HD that's the only reason I went with the a8
It is not A6 issue, it is likely un-informed user......if I can stream Netflix using the lesser E350, there is no reason that the more powerful A6 cannot do it....

So you are streaming Netflix in HD with a e350?
(2012-08-01, 22:41)2.0t03speed Wrote: So you are streaming Netflix in HD with a e350?

This is a major limitation of the e350. And a reason why I wouldn't use it for this purpose.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
htpc build for wmc,netflix 1080p & xbmc0