• 8(current)
Mass-production of pre-built set-top-box with XBMC for Linux to sell as retail?
That is pretty sweet! Especially compared to something like this http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/200...ro_pc.html with crappy Intel graphics and a big pricetag. I hope NVIDIA brings that sucker out quickly and that some of that tech makes it into some netbooks!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Screw netbooks, I'll velcro one to the back of my tv Smile
althekiller Wrote:I'm sure we can liberate some funds to get you speech to text software should it come to that Smile

Im waiting on davillas reaction because this is exactly what he wanted, a atom with a 9400 Big Grin

Damn I cant wait until they are released. Bubbling away with expectations. vdpau + xbmc is needed for 9.10 Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Its probably wrong to have dirty thoughts about a piece of electronics, but damn! Nerd
I actually thought that this was the natural next step for the Sigma chip players, but this will do. Wink

McQ
Thumbs Down 
Not looking good guys...

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/12/intel-...space.html

Pisses me off to be honest. I was waiting for a better chipset before buying a netbook and would have LOVED to have had this thing available to use here as well. If nothing it would have sped up adoption of the new accelerated drivers Wink

Lease it to Intel to screw this upStare
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
BLKMGK Wrote:Not looking good guys...

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/12/intel-...space.html

Pisses me off to be honest. I was waiting for a better chipset before buying a netbook and would have LOVED to have had this thing available to use here as well. If nothing it would have sped up adoption of the new accelerated drivers Wink

Lease it to Intel to screw this upStare

I can't believe Intel is this arrogant (well maybe not), Intel already cripples the Atom by tying it to high powered older intel chipsets, why. What's Intels game here. So they are just forcing nvidia to look around for another solution. AMD, VIA (god no, not VIA) something other than Intel.
Sorry but from what I read elsewhere (Pharonics?) they are indeed talking to Via. Gaaah!
Nvidia has been trying to go with VIA for quite awhile. AFAIK nvidia doesn't need Intel's support to continue the ion platform. I suspect Intel wants nothing to do with it because 3 steps down the Atom roadmap is an integrated GPU.
Well actually they do sort of need Intel's support. It seems that they will not "certify" this chipset for use with the Atom and on top of that only sell Atom CPUs bundled with this crappy chipset of their's. So, in order to get this better chipset a manufacturer would have to be willing to sell a system that Intel won't certify and throw away the unused chipsets that show up with it in order to use NVIDIA. Yes, that sux!
davilla Wrote:VIA (god no, not VIA)

I wouldn't mind to see a Via Nano + 9400M combination. It is definitely faster than the Atom, however it requires also more power

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1540/1...index.html

About the power requirements :

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=...80X2wuanBn
Well, I guess that whole Intel doesn't want to play with NVidia was just a nasty rumor:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/25/intel...alone-ato/

You can all go back to being happy Smile
Nice, I just wish that the Intel exec in question could have at least been named! <cough> I guess we'll see what happens and if the price of the standalone chip vs chip\chipset is competitive or not. I'd like a netbook setup like this and maybe in the future a low powered STB using this config. We'll need VDPAU in ffmpeg first though <sigh>
OK at the risk of resurrecting a zombie thread, I'm surprised there were no further updates. To those who are subscribed to this thread, has there been a good pre-built box built yet? I'm running an ATV2 and finding that it is running out of "juice" and choking on thumbnails, running out of memory, and requiring frequent relaunches. (all my content is coming from a Synology NAS hardwired on the network).
Well 5-6 years ago I built my HTPC from several parts, cost me like 400$. It still performs great today, even works with my Logitech Harmony. But even if there is no pre-build box available, nowadays you can simply buy a Raspberry Pi and I guess FLIRC or how this infrared receiver for USB is called and boom you got yourself something which is suposed to decode 1080p (I honestly still can't believe it, might have to order a Pi to test it out).

Other then that, all pre-build HTPCs are quite expensive, lack infrared most of the time, got noisy fans or some other reason I dislike them. Haven't found anything else yet that looks nice out-of-the-box.
(2008-09-06, 10:53)falc410 Wrote: Hi,

is there any pre-built hardware avaiable for use with XBMC ? Or is there even something in the plans?

I mean face it - XBMC is by far and I mean really far the best MediaCenter on this planet! I have been using it on my Xbox since Day 1 and so far it has never failed me - except of course with HD material.

So far I have been struggling to get it to work with a PC, but it was very complicated for me and the results were not good at all. NVIDIA graphics card don't support Audio over HDMI, with my Laptop hooked up over HDMI I can get sound and it works fine except I have some strange bars on fast moving scenes like V-Sync is disabled or whatever. But on both setups I don't have a remote control and so on.

Now there are set-top boxes available for around 200 bucks like "Popcorn Hour". These are slim, don't use a lot of power come with a remote control and so forth - but the software on each thing is not nearly as good as XBMC.

So I really was hoping that some day I can just purchase a pre-built hardware with XBMC.
Does anyone know if any company has plans to do something like this? So far I have found nothing Sad

There is a better alternative

Check out this website http://quantumsuppliers.com

The new MX2 is already rooted and ready to go.

It is also half the price of the Apple box.

mod edit: <snip>

I removed the direct soliciting lines, please read the forum rules (wiki)
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mass-production of pre-built set-top-box with XBMC for Linux to sell as retail?0