• 33(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2013-03-26, 17:45)simpic Wrote: The 'Dark Picture with Intel Ivy Bridge System' issue on OE, is this affecting all installs of this? Or just certain ones?

it affects all Frodo builds of openELEC. There's an update in the next kernel that fixes the issue. The openELEC devs are working on an integrated fix that doesn't require a workaround, but until then you need to use this custom build.
(2013-03-26, 15:54)DrowningApe Wrote:
(2013-03-26, 14:32)Pasoa2021 Wrote:
(2013-03-26, 04:11)DrowningApe Wrote: Here. http://www.openelec.tv/forum/67-display/...dge-system

Download here? Seems to be a discussion on picture issues?

TLDR?

Yes, the normal build has a bug that crushes blacks on intel GPUs. That thread has a link to a build that fixes the problem, and instructions on how to implement it. Read the whole thread.

Is this bug present in xbmc? I haven't noticed crushed blacks on my kuro using 12.1. Maybe I'm losing my eye lol.
It's just in openELEC. It's not present in windows Mac or XBMCbuntu.
Guys, I've been reading through this thread with quite a bit of interest. I currently have a custom i3 HTPC running XBMC 12.1 under Windows 7 and am quite happy with it but for grins I booted up OpenElec and while it's quite impressive it does not support HD Audio on my ATI card.

The NUC running OpenElec seems like it might be a really neat toy for replacing Boxee Boxes in other parts of my house.

Couple of questions;

1. Has intel ever fixed their 23.976 FPS issue? When I used the integrated Intel graphics in the past there was a very noticeable frame drop ever 5-10 minutes.

2. HD Audio with Open Elec on the NUC possible?

3. Which IR receiver works best? Anyone found an inexpensive way to power the unit on and off via IR?

Thanks.
(2013-03-26, 20:10)voip-ninja Wrote: Guys, I've been reading through this thread with quite a bit of interest. I currently have a custom i3 HTPC running XBMC 12.1 under Windows 7 and am quite happy with it but for grins I booted up OpenElec and while it's quite impressive it does not support HD Audio on my ATI card.

The NUC running OpenElec seems like it might be a really neat toy for replacing Boxee Boxes in other parts of my house.

Couple of questions;

1. Has intel ever fixed their 23.976 FPS issue? When I used the integrated Intel graphics in the past there was a very noticeable frame drop ever 5-10 minutes.

3. Which IR receiver works best? Anyone found an inexpensive way to power the unit on and off via IR?

Thanks.

1. Mostly, I haven't noticed any issues.

2. Yes.

3. I haven't been able to power on from. IR, but I haven't been trying to hard. I have my harmony programmed to suspend it. I can wake on LAN from the iPhone app, but I've just been suspending it.

I've had a boxee, and this is so much better. No Netflix on openELEC, but I've many other devices for that.

I just put the ACE skin on, and it is beautiful and fast, and plays everything. My wife hasn't complained, which is my benchmark for success.
(2013-03-26, 20:10)voip-ninja Wrote: 1. Has intel ever fixed their 23.976 FPS issue? When I used the integrated Intel graphics in the past there was a very noticeable frame drop ever 5-10 minutes.
Thanks.
I haven't notice this issue with my latest Intel HD4000 iGPU, and with DXVA2 enable seem to work fine too. I used to have issue with DXVA2 enabled on my i3 with HD2000 iGPU....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-26, 20:21)DrowningApe Wrote:
(2013-03-26, 20:10)voip-ninja Wrote: Guys, I've been reading through this thread with quite a bit of interest. I currently have a custom i3 HTPC running XBMC 12.1 under Windows 7 and am quite happy with it but for grins I booted up OpenElec and while it's quite impressive it does not support HD Audio on my ATI card.

Couple of questions;

Thanks.

1. Mostly, I haven't noticed any issues.

2. Yes.

3. I haven't been able to power on from. IR, but I haven't been trying to hard. I have my harmony programmed to suspend it. I can wake on LAN from the iPhone app, but I've just been suspending it.

I've had a boxee, and this is so much better. No Netflix on openELEC, but I've many other devices for that.

I just put the ACE skin on, and it is beautiful and fast, and plays everything. My wife hasn't complained, which is my benchmark for success.

Thanks for the confirmation. I will probably do a bit more investigation re: 23.976 before ordering any gear, but this looks like a pretty neat setup, that could easily be done for under $400 USD total.
I just set up a NUC - the celeron 847 model.

Added 4GB of RAM, and just booting openelec with a usb stick. Slick.

I went through the hassle of upgrading the bios to the latest too.

I used the development build here to play with the black level issues some people have noted, but haven't had time to compare with the fix on or off (honestly on my tv it now looks too bright, but that could just be a placebo):

http://www.openelec.tv/forum/67-display/...m?start=12

Anyway one issue I have is most of my content is my dvds ripped to mkv files. These SD sources are unwatchable with VAAPI hardware acceleration on, lots of green blocks. If I turn off hardware acceleration and just do software it seems fine. I assume the dual celerons are plenty beefy for my DVD quality stuff, so I guess it works.

Looking at a couple of the mkv's they're mpeg2 - which is I guess standard dvds.

BUT - testing a 1080p file, it of course doesn't work with software decoding. That 1080p file however, works great with hardware acceleration.

I found one other mention of this problem with VAAPI elsewhere, but don't have the link anymore. It's pretty straightforward to test and see. I did notice that animation dvd rips don't have the green blocking nightmare with VAAPI, interestingly.

As a workaround of course I can flip that setting, but that's cumbersome..

Here's where I saw a thread about this (openelec forum) - http://openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-intel...vies#63585
What would be the best all in one bluetooth keyboard, fly air mouse and remote for this little baby? Are there any?
Thanks
Raspberry Pi-B with Raspbmc
i5 iMac 21.5"
Macbook Pro
LG PA75U Projector with 113" DIY screen
iPhone 5S/Kodi
Denon AVR S500BT with Klipsch Reference series 5.1 setup
Amazon Fire TV with SPMC
Asus M004U (Coming Soon)

In regards to powering on by remote (or even a wired USB device), it won't ever happen because Intel does not support S5 USB voltage on any of their motherboards. They claim this is for Energy Star complance. Apparently, if an Intel board comes with a CIR (consumer infrared) header this can be used to power it on by remote, but the NUC doesn't have that.

However if you buy the right USB IR receiver, you CAN power it on from sleep (thank god, because my old AOpen MiniPC didn't allow that and it was a huge annoyance).
I have been having problem with the sleep mode where it startup but I get a black screen. I do however hear the sound form the menu. I know that this is a common problem and that XBMC simple have problems with sleep mode. Is there any solution to it?
(2013-03-26, 17:40)Pasoa2021 Wrote: Will probably run XBMCbuntu anyways, as I need some things that OpenELEC doesn't seem to offer.

What exactly would that be? sorry to ask, but I am pretty new to XMBC and I am considering the NUC as a media center. I run OpenELEC on my Xtreamer Ultra 2.

(2013-03-27, 09:00)Sunflux Wrote: However if you buy the right USB IR receiver, you CAN power it on from sleep (thank god, because my old AOpen MiniPC didn't allow that and it was a huge annoyance).

Please define the "right" IR receiver. I have pretty much settled on the NUC purchase, my final concern would be the remote I will be using..

Thanx in advance.
I have the Motorola NYXboard, and after fiddling with it for a while is working better. I can confirm running openelec 3, it will power off to a suspend state and power on from a suspend state consistently.
(2013-03-27, 12:11)bonezy Wrote:
(2013-03-26, 17:40)Pasoa2021 Wrote: Will probably run XBMCbuntu anyways, as I need some things that OpenELEC doesn't seem to offer.

What exactly would that be? sorry to ask, but I am pretty new to XMBC and I am considering the NUC as a media center. I run OpenELEC on my Xtreamer Ultra 2.

(2013-03-27, 09:00)Sunflux Wrote: However if you buy the right USB IR receiver, you CAN power it on from sleep (thank god, because my old AOpen MiniPC didn't allow that and it was a huge annoyance).

Please define the "right" IR receiver. I have pretty much settled on the NUC purchase, my final concern would be the remote I will be using..

Thanx in advance.

Emulators, the ability to setup OpenVPN, setup Samba Shares, are the biggest ones. I'm also pretty comfortable with Linux so don't mind tinkering around.

I bought thr FLIRC but haven't set it up yet.

Just received mine yesterday. Through the 8GB of RAM I bought and loaded up XBMCbuntu via USB stick. Very quicky, tested a few movies and seemed to work great.

What are the proper video settings for this?
Newegg dropped the price by $10 to $289 Big Grin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856102002

I just ordered one.
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24