[RELEASE] Library watchdog
Takoi,

I'm indeed using the file structure:

Code:
./MyTv
    /SomeShow
        /Season x
            SomeShow S01E01.mkv

I assume since this structure worked before, a change was made in the "VideoInfoScanner.cpp" file. I guess the solution is to wait, modify this file somehow, or find and older version of the same file and see what it contains. I'd like to start modifying code, but I do not know enough about the XBMC internals to proceed.
(2013-04-08, 15:49)valfy Wrote: Firstly, I just wanna thank you for this glorious addon!

Now over to business.
Two days ago, I noticed a huge memory leak in xbmc - also it would crash everytime I exited.
Now I've located the source of the bug in your addon, sorry. :/

As soon as I activate Depth Inf. in polling method for network shares, XBMC will eventually chug 3GB of RAM. I now have it set on Depth 2, and everything works OK.
This happens on both my computers with xbmc. and they are both running Windows 7 with XBMC 12.1 and Watchdog 0.74.

Do you want a debug log?

Cheers,
Valfar.
Quote:Known issue. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157233 But it's not the addon that's leaking, it's xbmc.

Known issue without a solution? I am helpless without watchdog, so what do you recommend? Searching at depth 2 doesn't find anything.

Cheers
I have an issue with Watchdog that I cannot seem to resolve, but I have encountered the same problem under Windows 7 XBMC 12.0 & 12.1, Android XBMC & Linux XBMC 12.0 built for the G-Box Slav and Midnight.

Initially when I first setup XBMC, Watchdog will work and play nicely with my other Video Add-Ons such as 1Channel. At some point with no warning or traceable cause Watchdog interferes somehow with the add-ons. If I try to launch 1Channel (or any other) it will just come up with a blank screen most of the time. When or if it does load the initial screen after some minutes, trying to select something goes no where. As soon as I uninstall Watchdog the problems are resolved and I am able to navigate the add-ons with no delay and begin watching a show or movie.

Initially I thought this was just a problem with my Windows HTPC, but since I have now seen the same problem on the G-Box's running both Android and Linux I can only assume there is something wrong or conflicting.

I've tried uninstalling Watchdog, and removing the Watchdog folder from the PC and replacing it with the same files from another HTPC and then re-installing Watchdog, but the problem is still there. I cannot use any video add-ons with Watchdog installed and it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what is causing it.

I have done some searches on Google, but I have not found any other reports of what I am experiencing - at least not with the search strings I have used.

Is this a known issue, is there a fix, or has anyone else had the same problem and been able to fix it somehow such that video add-ons will work with Watchdog installed?
(2013-04-09, 15:55)takoi Wrote:
(2013-03-29, 19:19)devkid Wrote: I get this in my xbmc.log when running in debug mode after I removed the folder "Der Tatortreiniger" from my directory "TV Shows":
Code:
18:17:54 T:140449809405696   ERROR: Exception in thread Thread-10:
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "./Lib/threading.py", line 551, in __bootstrap_inner
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/service.watchdog/lib/watchdog/observers/api.py", line 191, in run
                                                self.queue_events(self.timeout)
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/service.watchdog/core/polling.py", line 80, in queue_events
                                                created, deleted, modified = self._snapshot.diff(new_snapshot)
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/service.watchdog/core/polling.py", line 66, in diff
                                                if self._stat_info[path] != other._stat_info[path]:
                                            KeyError: 'smb://BEN/MASS2/Video/TV Shows/Der Tatortreiniger'

EDIT:
Here the complete log (deleted breaking Bad this time):
http://pastebin.com/MQedRz2Z

Also I noticed that sometimes the plugin omits my folder "TV Shows" according to the log. Switching the scanning depth forth and back and rebooting fixed it.

EDIT2:
It seems the problem that the script omits "TV Shows" happens everytime after the ERROR mentioned before. You can see that also in the log (no more log lines "Using authentication ur" for TV Shows after the ERROR).
What version are you using? That should have been fixed not so long ago.
I am using version 0.7.4 which I think is the latest version available in the repo.

(2013-04-09, 15:55)takoi Wrote:
(2013-04-01, 01:03)devkid Wrote: A suggestion: The addon should obey the checkbox "exclude from scan" that the user can set for sources.
It already does
Hm, I think for me it does not. I have currently 3 video sources "Movies", "TV Shows" and "Documentaries". "Documentaries" is not supposed to be scanned. I have put the setting "Folder contains" to "None" and also ticked the checkbox "Exclude selected folder from scans".
I can see in the log that this addon is still iterating through the "Documentaries" folder: http://pastebin.com/dMvweNrp
Could you point me to the code please where that filter is applied? I am interested in it cause I want it for another plugin also. Thank you. Maybe for some reason I am really using an outdated version?

EDIT:
Might also be an XBMC issue. Here are several threads linked about problems with excluding pathes from scan:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...+from+scan
I can verify that I also experience this issue on OpenELEC 3.0.0. It is not just related to addons; it also affects playback of 1080p movies for me. The system resources seem to be fine. Watchdog is unusable and the issue starts as soon as the addon is installed, no matter what the directory depth is set to.

(2013-04-09, 16:55)Vathan Wrote: I have an issue with Watchdog that I cannot seem to resolve, but I have encountered the same problem under Windows 7 XBMC 12.0 & 12.1, Android XBMC & Linux XBMC 12.0 built for the G-Box Slav and Midnight.

Initially when I first setup XBMC, Watchdog will work and play nicely with my other Video Add-Ons such as 1Channel. At some point with no warning or traceable cause Watchdog interferes somehow with the add-ons. If I try to launch 1Channel (or any other) it will just come up with a blank screen most of the time. When or if it does load the initial screen after some minutes, trying to select something goes no where. As soon as I uninstall Watchdog the problems are resolved and I am able to navigate the add-ons with no delay and begin watching a show or movie.

Initially I thought this was just a problem with my Windows HTPC, but since I have now seen the same problem on the G-Box's running both Android and Linux I can only assume there is something wrong or conflicting.

I've tried uninstalling Watchdog, and removing the Watchdog folder from the PC and replacing it with the same files from another HTPC and then re-installing Watchdog, but the problem is still there. I cannot use any video add-ons with Watchdog installed and it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what is causing it.

I have done some searches on Google, but I have not found any other reports of what I am experiencing - at least not with the search strings I have used.

Is this a known issue, is there a fix, or has anyone else had the same problem and been able to fix it somehow such that video add-ons will work with Watchdog installed?
(2013-04-09, 16:37)valfy Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 15:49)valfy Wrote: Firstly, I just wanna thank you for this glorious addon!

Now over to business.
Two days ago, I noticed a huge memory leak in xbmc - also it would crash everytime I exited.
Now I've located the source of the bug in your addon, sorry. :/

As soon as I activate Depth Inf. in polling method for network shares, XBMC will eventually chug 3GB of RAM. I now have it set on Depth 2, and everything works OK.
This happens on both my computers with xbmc. and they are both running Windows 7 with XBMC 12.1 and Watchdog 0.74.

Do you want a debug log?

Cheers,
Valfar.
Quote:Known issue. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157233 But it's not the addon that's leaking, it's xbmc.
Known issue without a solution? I am helpless without watchdog, so what do you recommend? Searching at depth 2 doesn't find anything.

Cheers
As explained 'depth 2' will only detect changes in the media source folder and any direct subfolder of that. This method also cause the leak but it may be less as it may walk fewer directories. One workaround is to mount the remote share locally. Then it will use a different algorithm that does not go through xbmc, and thus not leak.

(2013-04-09, 19:11)devkid Wrote: Hm, I think for me it does not. I have currently 3 video sources "Movies", "TV Shows" and "Documentaries". "Documentaries" is not supposed to be scanned. I have put the setting "Folder contains" to "None" and also ticked the checkbox "Exclude selected folder from scans".
I can see in the log that this addon is still iterating through the "Documentaries" folder: http://pastebin.com/dMvweNrp
Could you point me to the code please where that filter is applied? I am interested in it cause I want it for another plugin also. Thank you. Maybe for some reason I am really using an outdated version?
Perhaps I wasn't clear: it will still watch them but they will be ignored as in nothing will be added to the library. It's a limitation in the xbmc api.

(2013-04-09, 16:55)Vathan Wrote: I have an issue with Watchdog that I cannot seem to resolve, but I have encountered the same problem under Windows 7 XBMC 12.0 & 12.1, Android XBMC & Linux XBMC 12.0 built for the G-Box Slav and Midnight.

Sounds a lot like http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14212 But you dont provide a debug log so I cant give you a definitive answer.
(2013-04-09, 16:09)takoi Wrote: Did you read what I linked to?

Yes, I don't see that being the problem I have though, Or were you responding to someone else's post?
I created that script with a valid network path in it as a startup script in autoexec.py and thought it had fixed it at first, because things were working after I installed Watchdog. After a reboot, however, it was back to the old issue for me.

EDIT: The debug logs do not show any errors, but the log is constantly scolling OpenDir messages from Watchdog's polling. It just takes over a minute and a half to display the first menu in any plugin:

Code:
15:41:00 ====================AMAZON START====================

15:42:37 T:140026445219648   DEBUG: WaitOnScriptResult- plugin returned successfully
15:42:37 T:140026445219648   DEBUG: Saving fileitems [plugin://plugin.video.amazon]
15:42:37 T:140026445219648   DEBUG:   -- items: 7, sort method: 0, ascending: false
15:42:37 T:140025070565120    INFO: Scriptresult: Success
15:42:37 T:140025070565120    INFO: Python script stopped

Here are the only error messages in my debug log:

Code:
ERROR: CAESinkOSS::EnumerateDevicesEx - Failed to open mixer: /dev/mixer
ERROR: JSONRPC Server: Failed to connect to sdpd
ERROR: CWinEventsX11::MessagePump - missed XRR Events

...and one warning:

Code:
WARNING: VIDEO database configuration is experimental.

Here are my system stats with Debug enabled and Watchdog installed and running:

Code:
# uptime
16:22:22 up 18 min,  load average: 0.44, 0.41, 0.28

# top
Mem: 560368K used, 2937760K free, 0K shrd, 50808K buff, 361840K cached
CPU:  7.0% usr  1.5% sys  0.1% nic 91.3% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% sirq
Load average: 0.48 0.41 0.27 3/189 2124

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       3498128       562508      2935620            0        50928
-/+ buffers:             511580      2986548
Swap:            0            0            0

I should also note that this is running on an Intel NUC (BOXDC3217IYE) on an mSATA SSD with 4GB of memory installed.

(2013-04-09, 19:33)takoi Wrote: Sounds a lot like http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14212 But you dont provide a debug log so I cant give you a definitive answer.
Quote:@takoi
Sounds a lot like http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14212 But you dont provide a debug log so I cant give you a definitive answer.

I have sent you a PM with my log file. I turned on logging, went to a video add-on, played a streaming file, stopped it, installed Watchdog, went back and played the exact same file and while it did it, it was a very long time between menu screens.

Hopefully you can see something in that log file.

-Vathan
(2013-04-09, 20:25)jjmucker Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 16:09)takoi Wrote: Did you read what I linked to?
Yes, I don't see that being the problem I have though, Or were you responding to someone else's post?
What makes you say that? It looks like that's the problem you have to me.

(2013-04-09, 21:26)OtisPresley Wrote: I created that script with a valid network path in it as a startup script in autoexec.py and thought it had fixed it at first, because things were working after I installed Watchdog. After a reboot, however, it was back to the old issue for me.

EDIT: The debug logs do not show any errors, but the log is constantly scolling OpenDir messages from Watchdog's polling. It just takes over a minute and a half to display the first menu in any plugin:
*snip*
Sorry but if you know what's important and not in the log, what you asking help for? All of that info in irrelevant, what watchdog prints is not..
Which link was it mate, there was a few links
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1387760 it applies to any layout that's deeper that 2 levels
I am posting for the benefit of others who may be experiencing the same issue. Vathan gave you a full debug log for it. There are times when having other information can help in identifying the problem. The problem may or may not be with this addon, but this is where people having the issue will start and will want to verify that it is the same issue they have.

(2013-04-11, 12:57)takoi Wrote: Sorry but if you know what's important and not in the log, what you asking help for? All of that info in irrelevant, what watchdog prints is not..
Well he did not, but it's a know problem. I've already said what the it is. In great detail. It affects everyone using network polling through xbmcvfs. To what degree depends on number of files and method, nothing else.
(2013-04-11, 15:06)takoi Wrote: Well he did not, but it's a know problem. I've already said what the it is. In great detail. It affects everyone using network polling through xbmcvfs. To what degree depends on number of files and method, nothing else.

It looks like my log file was too large for the PM and therefore got truncated.

How else can I send the full log file?

-Vathan
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Library watchdog4