• 71(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2013-05-17, 14:05)teddy6565 Wrote: This is very strange as I have opposite issue, openelec is darker but much better picture quality. On windows there is too much noise and pixelation, particularly on low light scenes. I have done comparison between the two with the same video source and scene and quality on openelec is much better straight away with no changes. Not everyone would notice difference but very noticeable annoying when looking for it. Any suggestions welcome.

Well, you must be blind Oo

Just installed openelec and the picture is abysmal in comparison to windows.
I cant believe they havent addressed the issue in the latest update tbh, as its not exactly a minor issue, and its evidently a problem.
Until that time...I will have to stick with windows unfortunately.
(2013-05-17, 11:55)Raytestrak Wrote: I have no issues with OpenElec icw bitstreaming. The only issue OpenElec has for me is that the picture is too dark.

That is fixable though. You can take a nightly and include xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Limited 16:235" in autostart.sh for fixing the crushed blacks.

I'm running this build (doesn't need that xandr command):

http://openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-intel...t=78#73652

It was still too dark for my taste. So I have:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --brightness 1.00 --gamma 1.20:1.20:1.20

In my autostart.sh to fix this.

1.15 would be better for me, but then with dark scenes it becomes too dark and adjusting brightness throws off the colors and contrast too much. Just test in ssh to see what suits you if you feel you need to change the levels.

I used 1.15 and that worked perfectly for me.
(2013-05-17, 20:12)wgards8 Wrote:
(2013-05-17, 14:05)teddy6565 Wrote: This is very strange as I have opposite issue, openelec is darker but much better picture quality. On windows there is too much noise and pixelation, particularly on low light scenes. I have done comparison between the two with the same video source and scene and quality on openelec is much better straight away with no changes. Not everyone would notice difference but very noticeable annoying when looking for it. Any suggestions welcome.

Well, you must be blind Oo

Just installed openelec and the picture is abysmal in comparison to windows.
I cant believe they havent addressed the issue in the latest update tbh, as its not exactly a minor issue, and its evidently a problem.
Until that time...I will have to stick with windows unfortunately.

Not blind, I can see picture on openelec is dark, it is the gamma level which can be adjusted through settings on my tv. Whereas windows you can adjust gamma but there is too much noise and artefacts. I have managed to correct it to a certain level but overall not as good as other HTPCs I have or using openelec.

I can only assume those having issues with openelec haven't tried to adjust their tv / monitor settings.
If it works for you that's great.
Presents the following problem for me though:
I use a Disney wow calibration disc on my TV. (Bit Ott I know but got it free so why not).
The thing is, I start adjusting TV settings for xbmc it has a knock on effect when watching bluray, sat or any other source. I could use a different picture setting but can see changing it all the time becoming a real pita.
I just wish my harmony remote could automate the process, unfortunately though the sequence is too long.

I must admit I have yet to try methods described by Raytestrak and DrowningApe as I had friends over for dinner so ran out of time. They are only temp solutions though so hopefully we will see a fix in future updates.
Just finished setting up the NUC 3217IYE, playback of video is fine, HD audio works great. Only problem I am seeing is within many of the various screens in XBMC, some icons and posters have bands of dots or dashes across them, and in the Movie library some of the flags for a movie such as studio logo and others are totally distorted. Never had this issue on the old setup.
(2013-05-19, 21:34)gcdlz Wrote: Just finished setting up the NUC 3217IYE, playback of video is fine, HD audio works great. Only problem I am seeing is within many of the various screens in XBMC, some icons and posters have bands of dots or dashes across them, and in the Movie library some of the flags for a movie such as studio logo and others are totally distorted. Never had this issue on the old setup.

Use the previous graphics driver, that fixes the issue.
(2013-05-20, 00:35)Hedborg Wrote:
(2013-05-19, 21:34)gcdlz Wrote: Just finished setting up the NUC 3217IYE, playback of video is fine, HD audio works great. Only problem I am seeing is within many of the various screens in XBMC, some icons and posters have bands of dots or dashes across them, and in the Movie library some of the flags for a movie such as studio logo and others are totally distorted. Never had this issue on the old setup.

Use the previous graphics driver, that fixes the issue.
Thanks! That fixed it.
Noticed yesterday my bios was not the latest so updated hoping it would resolve the issue where I can't play any full BR rips (mt2s and iso) in Windows 8 on my Celeron NUC without juddering or if I switch hardware acceleration on screen banding.

No luck though and stuck using openelec which works fine but isn't the reason I bought the NUC!

Ever hopeful there will be a solution soon is it just a case of for an update to the intel graphics driver?
Has anyone else here with the celeron NUC running openelec had any problems that when starting a video the audio will start for a second ahead of the picture and then the screen turns green and freezes that way while the audio shuts off and then the NUC crashes after the screen eventually turns from green to black with an x in it? I've been having this issue since I started a few weeks ago with OE 3.0.1 and it's continued through the current v3.0.3. Every time I start up (whether resuming from sleep or rebooting) it seems like a 50/50 shot whether I'll actually be able to watch one of my videos or get this instead, and then the only way out is to hold down the power button to shut down and start up again when it may or may not happen again.

I haven't been able to capture this on a debug log yet because even with debugging turned on and with the setting "Always skip XBMC.old.log" unchecked the only log I can pull after it happens only captures since the restart. With that same setting and with debugging turned off though, here's the only clue I'm seeing from the XBMC log for moments the screen freezes green and crashes:

07:13:36 T:140694580610816 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
07:13:43 T:140694336567040 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
07:13:43 T:140694336567040 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
07:13:48 T:140694580610816 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
07:13:48 T:140694336567040 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

So whether or not anyone else has experienced this, any ideas what's going on here? Some kind of HDMI or network handshake issue maybe? I do have all my videos on an unRAID server and one thought I've had is that maybe the Realtek NIC on the server is the culprit, but if anything that should only cause XBMC to not recognize that the file is there or maybe delay the start of playback, right? It shouldn't be crashing from that.

My other thought is that it's related to the black screen issue and has to do with the order of how devices are powered up or resume from sleep. I have the recommended sequence programmed into my Harmony remote (powering on TV, then AVR, then waking the NUC) but the receiver sometimes takes additional time to switch inputs and I haven't been able to do any extensive testing yet if there's any particular sequence that always preceeds these green screen crashes on playback or always works. All I know is that however I eventually stumble on the magic formula to get it to work, once it does play a video I don't experience the problem again until I shut down/sleep and start up again. Then it's the same coin toss all over again.
Hi,

im looking for a passive solution to change my actual HTPC (a foxconn nt330i), that works ok but makes a bit noise and i see GPU temp too high, so i started to look and read about NUC.

but well.. its not about it.. i have been reading last pages of the thread and i see many people telling about bad blacks on windows, i happened me also on my HTPC and after some investigation i found the problem and fix, check it here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...or-format/

Problem is nvidia drivers use 16-255 as rgb colours and u must change it on TV to use deep blacks or something like that, but.. we are losing some colours range. I used the fix and deactivated the deep black on TV and it works perfectly now. Dunno if it will work on NUC, probably yes.

The fix is a reg hack to change RGB to real 0-255.

Hope i help sone1, ill read if it works.

And just a fast question (ill read more pages tomorrow), NUC I3+XBMC+Win8 working ok? Does it passthrough ok DTS-HD and Dolby Digital True HD? Its full fanless?

Thanks all!
(2013-05-20, 20:45)ElJimador Wrote: Has anyone else here with the celeron NUC running openelec had any problems that when starting a video the audio will start for a second ahead of the picture and then the screen turns green and freezes that way while the audio shuts off and then the NUC crashes after the screen eventually turns from green to black with an x in it? I've been having this issue since I started a few weeks ago with OE 3.0.1 and it's continued through the current v3.0.3. Every time I start up (whether resuming from sleep or rebooting) it seems like a 50/50 shot whether I'll actually be able to watch one of my videos or get this instead, and then the only way out is to hold down the power button to shut down and start up again when it may or may not happen again.

I haven't been able to capture this on a debug log yet because even with debugging turned on and with the setting "Always skip XBMC.old.log" unchecked the only log I can pull after it happens only captures since the restart. With that same setting and with debugging turned off though, here's the only clue I'm seeing from the XBMC log for moments the screen freezes green and crashes:

07:13:36 T:140694580610816 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
07:13:43 T:140694336567040 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
07:13:43 T:140694336567040 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
07:13:48 T:140694580610816 WARNING: CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for previous frame
07:13:48 T:140694336567040 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

So whether or not anyone else has experienced this, any ideas what's going on here? Some kind of HDMI or network handshake issue maybe? I do have all my videos on an unRAID server and one thought I've had is that maybe the Realtek NIC on the server is the culprit, but if anything that should only cause XBMC to not recognize that the file is there or maybe delay the start of playback, right? It shouldn't be crashing from that.

Hi!

I also had this issue. Is about the VAAPI.

Look at this:

http://www.openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-i...mitstart=0

I installed the lastest version and now all is OK with my NUC.
(2013-05-21, 11:12)raist8 Wrote: Hi!

I also had this issue. Is about the VAAPI.

Look at this:

http://www.openelec.tv/forum/116-vaapi-i...mitstart=0

I installed the lastest version and now all is OK with my NUC.

Thanks raist8. By "latest version" do you mean OE 3.0.3 or the latest development build that Fritsch posted in that thread? Because I was already running 3.0.3 and Fritsch seems pretty clear that the purpose of that his build is for de-interlacing which I don't need. Anyway, Fritsch was helping me on this on another thread in the OE forum and I think we may have solved it w/a couple commands through SSH to set "Enable RC6 states" to off. I haven't had a chance to test it much yet but so far it's working and the really encouraging thing is that a couple of the videos have tried have had the audio come on first and then a couple second pause before the picture (right at the point where I was getting the green screen crashes before) and then play just fine. The only downside is that the processor is working harder and fan noise is a bit more noticeable now. But as long I don't get the crashes anymore I can live with that.
(2013-05-22, 06:35)ElJimador Wrote: Thanks raist8. By "latest version" do you mean OE 3.0.3 or the latest development build that Fritsch posted in that thread? Because I was already running 3.0.3 and Fritsch seems pretty clear that the purpose of that his build is for de-interlacing which I don't need. Anyway, Fritsch was helping me on this on another thread in the OE forum and I think we may have solved it w/a couple commands through SSH to set "Enable RC6 states" to off. I haven't had a chance to test it much yet but so far it's working and the really encouraging thing is that a couple of the videos have tried have had the audio come on first and then a couple second pause before the picture (right at the point where I was getting the green screen crashes before) and then play just fine. The only downside is that the processor is working harder and fan noise is a bit more noticeable now. But as long I don't get the crashes anymore I can live with that.

Hi!

I mean the latest build on that thread. I don't know why, but this build solved my issue..
Can you please link me the post you're pointing to? I'd like to read it.

Thanks!

P.D: Sorry for my english, I know is not quiet good.
For you guys using the Fritsch dev build. Do you have issues with audio out of sync when playing 24p content? Especially after skipping chapters or pausing?

I'm using a Celeron NUC with 2gb ram and OE running off a USB stick, Fritsch build solved my video issues but gave me audio issues Sad
(2013-05-22, 10:00)Toadvine Wrote: For you guys using the Fritsch dev build. Do you have issues with audio out of sync when playing 24p content? Especially after skipping chapters or pausing?

I'm using a Celeron NUC with 2gb ram and OE running off a USB stick, Fritsch build solved my video issues but gave me audio issues Sad

Yup.

Edit: Problem is gone for me with the latest two test VAAPI deinterlacing test builds.
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
  • 71(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24