Win Why use mySql with XBMC?
Question 
Currently I got all my movies on a Nas on my local network, and use the smb-protocol to add the movies in xbmc.
I'm using the trakt-addon, to keep track of what movies I have watched.

Are there any advantages with mysql? I read somewhere that I can start watching a movie on one device, and resume the movie on a second device. But is that really it? Aren't there any more advantages?
As far as I know I still have to update my libraries on every single device when I add a new movie. What am I missing?
(2013-05-26, 18:24)hightow Wrote: Currently I got all my movies on a Nas on my local network, and use the smb-protocol to add the movies in xbmc.
I'm using the trakt-addon, to keep track of what movies I have watched.

Are there any advantages with mysql? I read somewhere that I can start watching a movie on one device, and resume the movie on a second device. But is that really it? Aren't there any more advantages?
As far as I know I still have to update my libraries on every single device when I add a new movie. What am I missing?

You only have to update 1 device, shared watched status.
What about thumbnails? They are stored locally, right? Where do they get downloaded from on the second device?

Edit: And with trakt, I really don't need a shared watched status.
Thumbnails are stored as URL locations in the database and cached locally. This is the same as it is when not using MySQL.

With MySQL you would only have one database which is accessed by all devices, so no need to add stuff twice, nor scrape it twice.

If you are fine with trakt then there is probably no large advantage to using mysql, but you could always give it a try and see if you like it
I use Trakt (as a backup for my watched status) and i still use MySql because i have 2 Xbmc machines and want to not have to add stuff twice and i want resume points accessible from anywhere. Its also very good because if you need to add a new xbmc client, you just add the MySQL settings and your machine is ready for use.

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
(2013-05-27, 02:45)saitoh183 Wrote: I use Trakt (as a backup for my watched status) and i still use MySql because i have 2 Xbmc machines and want to not have to add stuff twice and i want resume points accessible from anywhere. Its also very good because if you need to add a new xbmc client, you just add the MySQL settings and your machine is ready for use.
What he said.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'll give it a go. Thanks for the answers. Smile
I had to reinstall XBMC on one of my pc's, and see now how great mySql is. No updates needed, just copy the proper xml-files, and voila! Everything is in order, and thumbnails are cached on the fly! Thumbs up! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why use mySql with XBMC?0