• 148(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
Hello

I installed new system from xbmcbuntu-11.9-wsnipex-testing-v7.iso. Then apt-get update, upgrade and reinstall xbmc from ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba repository. It is 13.0 alpha4, comp 2013 apr 05.
I have one problem. In the system have internet connection, I can refresh system, I can ping homepages, but in xbmc havent internet connection. Dont have rrs (its enable), i dont see any plugin...
What is the problem (http proxy disable, I havent)?
Second: I would like use wol. But if enabled in bios, then after shut down xbmc system, the computer going off, then restart after 3-4 sec. Why?
The 13.6 Catalyst driver was just released and it has some XBMC related fixes:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pag...river.aspx

Quote:Highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ 13.6 Beta Driver for Linux:
This release of AMD Catalyst™ Linux introduces support for the following new features:

Ubuntu 13.04 Production Support
Xserver 1.14 Support
GLX_EXT_buffer_age extension support
Resolved Issues:

[371937] Fix black screen while entering Team Fortress 2 under cinnamon desktop environment
[366812] Fix tearing for some OpenGL applications with VSYNC on or off
[373575] Fix taskbar missing after UVD playback on Ubuntu 12.04
[370955] Fix corruption in Team Fortress 2 when running Dustbowl map
[377199] Fix the error for APL initialization failure
[378086] Fix screen corruption when kill X on Ubuntu 13.04
[374657] Fix some WebGL conformance test failures
[377379] Fix the regression of performance drop with XBMC for UVD playback
Yes :-)

I know - forced that xbmc change since several months now. Please - everybody that can do, test this driver. Backup your old /etc/ati/signature so that you can overwrite the new one to remove the watermark.

If this driver is binary compatible to the one I was testing prior to release, all our xbmc problems should be "back to normal" now. Feedback is highly appreciated, best for now: Check for regressions. I will forward those directly to the AMD engineers.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Upgrade howto (to be done via ssh as always) - if you don't have any catalyst installed, you won't be able to copy the old signature, so skip those steps.(remove fglrx-updates packages before you start):
Code:
cp /etc/ati/signature ~/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo apt-get install dh-make build-essential dh-modaliases libqtgui4 execstack dkms linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudp cp ~/signature /etc/ati/
sudo reboot

If you have underscan problems:
Code:
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo reboot

The Level51 hack is not needed anymore.
Edit: fixed a not needed apt-get install command.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
FYI, the new catalyst driver seems to fix the 100% cpu usage issue. Before that I was using the recommended driver version with Xorg 1.10 and xbmc would still use 100% on a single core randomly (eg. after switching resolution, going back from windowed to fullscreen, ... ; one poster also mentioned that kind of erratic behavior). I spent quite a lot of time trying various things (with/without xvba or vaapi, with latest git version, setting up a new fedora 18 system...), but no luck. It's now hopefully solved.
Setup:
- AMD A8-5500
- centos 6.4 up to date (eg. with Xorg 1.13 - the recommended fglrx version would work only with 6.3's 1.10 version - now 1.13 is OK).
- xbmc 12.2 compiled with openelec patches.

EDIT: I see that I'm getting segfaults on exit ; I remember I had that problem with fedora rpmfusion's version, but not with the custom compiled version and the older catalyst driver. I changed the setup many times, so it may be unrelated to the newer driver ; crashlog at http://pastebin.com/vyBTwepL
I only have a 17" monitor connected via the analog connector and i used xbmc without frame rate sync or such. I actually compiled xbmc only to see if real hw decoding can be achieved on this APU (vlc's vaapi-xvba "decoding" is horrible) and i actually liked it so now i use it for movie playback and youtube streaming.

I have a a8-5500 too, debian testing 64-bit with xfce, xbmc compiled from fernet menta's git branch. I never had the 100% cpu bug though.

The only issues i had were some frame drops with certain clips - this seems to be gone now. Also the ui seems more fluid.
I have a problem with the latest Testing.

Under the git 'stable' everything works fine, under testing some SD video's stutter and play at about 10 FPS with hardware decoding enabled (they seem to play fine with all the hardware decoding stuff disabled)

Debug log here - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=23669
(2013-05-29, 08:23)fritsch Wrote: Upgrade howto:
Code:
cp /etc/ati/signature ~/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack dkms linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudp cp ~/signature /etc/ati/
sudo reboot

If you have underscan problems:
Code:
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo reboot

The Level51 hack is not needed anymore.
Edit: fixed a not needed apt-get install command.

Thanks Big Grin

I installed the latest ATI driver using the first option (install pre-generated package) - worked fine. Then I upgraded my linux kernel (because of broken HDMI audio) - then all I get is a lightdm login screen (no XBMC).

I ran the install a second time, but it wouldn't as it was already installed.

I tried the build option instead and I get:

Quote:sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
Created directory fglrx-install.k6SsRe
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Driver-13.101..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
=====================================================================
AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager
=====================================================================
Generating package: Ubuntu/raring
Package /home/xx/fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb has been successfully generated
Package /home/xx/fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb has been successfully generated
Package /home/xx/fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb has been successfully generated
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.k6SsRe
xx@phoenix:~$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package fglrx.
(Reading database ... 96368 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fglrx (from fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
One or more files have been altered since installation.
Uninstall will not be completed. See /etc/ati/fglrx-uninstall.log for details.
dpkg: error processing fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-amdcccle.
Unpacking fglrx-amdcccle (from fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-dev.
Unpacking fglrx-dev (from fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: fglrx-amdcccle: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you requested:
fglrx-amdcccle depends on fglrx; however:
Package fglrx is not installed.

Setting up fglrx-amdcccle (2:13.101-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: fglrx-dev: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you requested:
fglrx-dev depends on fglrx; however:
Package fglrx is not installed.

Setting up fglrx-dev (2:13.101-0ubuntu1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Update: I uninstalled the pre-built package (using force) and re-installed. Now XBMC is back Smile Now I just need to get linux-phc setup and I can replace windows xbmc..
(2013-06-01, 08:38)Saner Wrote: I have a problem with the latest Testing.

Under the git 'stable' everything works fine, under testing some SD video's stutter and play at about 10 FPS with hardware decoding enabled (they seem to play fine with all the hardware decoding stuff disabled)

thats why they called "testing" and not "stable"
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
(2013-06-02, 12:13)john.cord Wrote: [

thats why they called "testing" and not "stable"

I wont bother reporting it next time then Rolleyes

(2013-05-21, 14:24)wsnipex Wrote: xbmc-xvba-frodo contains mainline frodo 12.2 + some pre 12.3 and non-mainline fixes.

And yes, xbmc-xvba is going a bit slow lately, as we don't have time to properly test. We'd very much appreciate users trying the xbmc-xvba-testing ppa and reporting back with results.
Yes keep reporting. It is important. But a bug report may be more appropriate.
(2013-06-01, 08:38)Saner Wrote: I have a problem with the latest Testing.

Would you have a short sample of a video causing issues?
Sure, See PM.
Some weeks ago I have changed mpeg4 decoding for vdpau to "allow" as default. You can set it back to false in advanced settings until this is fixed. Looks like it never has worked with some files. I need to finish some other tasks before I can look into this.
No problem, thanks for the speedy reply.
  • 148(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23