• 27(current)
Testing audio engine ActiveAE
I guess thats ment for me, stereo upmix in xbmc is disabled, my receiver is doing dts neo6 upmixing, which isnt working if audiophile isnt enabled.

I do get sound on all speakers if I enable stereo upmix in xbmc, but I rather let my receiver do that job.
Hey fritsch,

no, cue files didn't work properly before either. I switched to 13.0 Alpha at recommendation of FernetMenta since he mentioned that the ActiveAE might handle it better.

I've been using ActiveAE for about a day and I can say that gapless playback of mp3 seems to work perfectly if the songs are split into individual files. So, been carrying a big smile all day and it wouldn't be too much work to split my mp3+cue into individual files with mp3splt.

From a quick look at the log file, I think there may be a fundamental problem with the way mp3+cue is handled. These files tend to be quite large, say 130MB each, and it seems XBMC loads it each time. Then it needs seek into the file for the correct spot. Then it needs t o gaplessly connect the songs together.

Ideally what should happen is that the mp3 file gets loaded once and just played through. The cue file is just used to display what track is playing at the moment or if a user jumps forward or picks a random song out of the cue file (nobody would expect that to be gapless). But i think that would require a lot of dev work on paplayer.

A much simpler "solution" would be to update the documentation and say that cue files don't handle track transitions well.
(2013-09-14, 13:47)ursli Wrote: I guess thats ment for me, stereo upmix in xbmc is disabled, my receiver is doing dts neo6 upmixing, which isnt working if audiophile isnt enabled.

I do get sound on all speakers if I enable stereo upmix in xbmc, but I rather let my receiver do that job.

Yes, that is one disadvantage of our default method. So audiophile is the right setting for you. Currently there is a setting rewrite going on. This feature will be added there, so that user exactly knows which automatisms Audio engine will do by default.

Thanks for this feedback.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-09-14, 14:08)franzem Wrote: Hey fritsch,

no, cue files didn't work properly before either. I switched to 13.0 Alpha at recommendation of FernetMenta since he mentioned that the ActiveAE might handle it better.

I've been using ActiveAE for about a day and I can say that gapless playback of mp3 seems to work perfectly if the songs are split into individual files. So, been carrying a big smile all day and it wouldn't be too much work to split my mp3+cue into individual files with mp3splt.

From a quick look at the log file, I think there may be a fundamental problem with the way mp3+cue is handled. These files tend to be quite large, say 130MB each, and it seems XBMC loads it each time. Then it needs seek into the file for the correct spot. Then it needs t o gaplessly connect the songs together.

Ideally what should happen is that the mp3 file gets loaded once and just played through. The cue file is just used to display what track is playing at the moment or if a user jumps forward or picks a random song out of the cue file (nobody would expect that to be gapless). But i think that would require a lot of dev work on paplayer.

A much simpler "solution" would be to update the documentation and say that cue files don't handle track transitions well.

Can you provide a testfile somewhere? Just a simple cue file with two flac, wav, mp3 whatever in it?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hey Fritsch,

From your request I think you might not be sure what a cue file does. It's the opposite of a playlist, say m3u file. It is used to split a single file into multiple tracks.

I have uploaded an mp3 with an associated cue file to this link. The download will be valid for a week: http://we.tl/p3RZ68eAsA

Once downloaded, add it to your xbmc music library. Instead of the file.mp3 and ignoring any id3 tags, you well see album details, and individual track names, artists.

It will play perfectly until you get to track transitions where you will hear a jump and mangle. You can compare how it should sound by listening to the mp3 in another music player that isn't cue file aware, say mplayer or mpg123.
Yeah, i know those back from the time i used monkey audio, thx for the link. But I don't have something around.
(2013-09-14, 17:22)franzem Wrote: Hey Fritsch,

From your request I think you might not be sure what a cue file does. It's the opposite of a playlist, say m3u file. It is used to split a single file into multiple tracks.

I have uploaded an mp3 with an associated cue file to this link. The download will be valid for a week: http://we.tl/p3RZ68eAsA

Once downloaded, add it to your xbmc music library. Instead of the file.mp3 and ignoring any id3 tags, you well see album details, and individual track names, artists.

It will play perfectly until you get to track transitions where you will hear a jump and mangle. You can compare how it should sound by listening to the mp3 in another music player that isn't cue file aware, say mplayer or mpg123.

The problem is that seeking the mp3 file is not frame accurate, hence continuing tracks don't fit exactly. I will try to find a solution that continues the stream.
@franzem: here is a fix for the cue sheets: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...74976dd4e8

needs some testing
@ FernetMenta,

thanks for the quick response. A quick look at the code tells me you are in the right path, i.e. only close the stream if it's not a cue file.

Doesn't work properly yet though:

1) first track plays perfectly,
2) then skips a bit with the second track, plays that for 20 seconds,
3) and then, while restarting the second track, the song progress indicator skips through the remaining tracks at about 2 second intervals,
4) until getting to the end of the album, where it ends.

I have added a log file, maybe you get something from that. ID: 59334
@ FernetMenta,

please ignore my previous post, turns out that the mp3 hadn't copied into the folder correctly, ended up too short, and so behaved the way i described. Please ignore that.

Still testing...
here is a new version: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/comm...e7b74745b4
Both cue and cd playback is fixed with the latest fixes. I just tested this with fritsch's master earlier today.
Samsung ES7005 55" led tv - Denon AVR-3313 - NAD C275BEE - B&W DM683 - B&W HTM61 - B&W 686
Intel NUC D34010WYK - 128GB Crucial ssd, Built in IR Receiver
And a Logitech Harmony Touch to control it all. https://libreelec.tv
Retired: Asus EB1501P ION2 - OCZ Vertex 2 64gb ssd - Built in IR Receiver
Hi,

I'm still going through some of my mp3s + cue files, but they don't seem to be working :/

The new behaviour seems to be in effect, but there is still a small jump around track transitions, I don't understand why. You can verify with the files I uploaded previous.

I have also added a Log File: 59467

I have tried a different mp3/cue and that seems to be good. I have checked both mp3 with mpck and it reports files ok, I can't see anything obviously wrong with the cue file.

dunno
Logfile please and be really sure you have the latest version of the patch applied, build the cuefile branch to be sure. Do a ccache -cC in between and make clean and retry.

Also post the full links to your logfiles - it is hard to puzzle them together.
sure: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=59467

The System Information is: XBMC 13.0-Alpha Git.20130916-387c36c

where the 387c36c would indicate that I am using Fernet's latest version, as I say, I can see the behaviour is different from the log file.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Testing audio engine ActiveAE1