Unable to upgrade XBMCBuntu to 12.3
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade my XBMCBuntu install to 12.3. I've done the following steps yet it still shows 12.2 installed. Any idea why I can't apt-get upgrade my installation?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

apt-cache policy xbmc output:

xbmcfrontend:~$ apt-cache policy xbmc
xbmc:
Installed: 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0quantal
Candidate: 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0quantal
Version table:
*** 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0quantal 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1ubuntu2 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe i386 Packages

thanks for your assistance.
you don't have any of our ppas enabled.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Ok I had assumed ppa would have already been set up in XBMCBuntu.

Thanks for your assistance, 12.3 is rolling.
it was, you must have removed it. or you upgraded ubuntu to a newer release, which disabled ppas.
(2013-12-30, 18:50)wsnipex Wrote: you don't have any of our ppas enabled.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Why are you upgrading the entire OS to get XBMC?
(2013-12-31, 02:39)FishOil Wrote:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Doesn't really upgrade the whole OS like dist-upgrade. No reason not to update all your packages, I see no harm.
(2013-12-31, 05:47)doug piston Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 02:39)FishOil Wrote:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Doesn't really upgrade the whole OS like dist-upgrade. No reason not to update all your packages, I see no harm.

It does update the ENTIRE OS. Every single package that has an update will be updated. dist-upgrade is actually a bit smarter in the way it upgrades.

Wait till it breaks something you had working perfectly. It happens, and it used to happen frequently.

Its a bad idea and unnecessary.
All it takes is
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc
then please don't come complaining that stuff doesn't work. Xbmcs dependencies must be upgraded too....
Hey everyone. I'm having some problems upgrading myself.

apt-cache policy says:
Code:
xbmc:                                                                                                                                  
  Installed: 3:12.2-1~ppa2~saucy                                                                                                        
  Candidate: 3:12.2-1~ppa2~saucy                                                                                                        
  Version table:                                                                                                                        
*** 3:12.2-1~ppa2~saucy 0                                                                                                              
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status                                                                                                        
     2:12.3~git20131213.0944-frodo-0saucy 0                                                                                            
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ saucy/main i386 Packages                                                    
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-prestable/ubuntu/ saucy/main i386 Packages                                            
     2:12.0~git20130103.0959-rc3-0ubuntu4 0                                                                                            
        500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/universe i386 Packages

So right now, I'm on 3:12.2-1~..., but below that is the newer 2:12.3~git20131213.0944... Which is present in both the team-xbmc ppa as well as the prestable ppa by wsnipex. (By the way, I'm not sure which one I need exactly? I would like to follow XBMC's releases as they come, but I would not like to update into beta's or alpha's, just what's considered stable but recent).

What I can't figure out is why that thing isn't detected as a 'newer' version and installed. Could any of you point me in the right direction? I've tried forcing the install of that version, but that just seems to get me into trouble ("you have broken held packages" errors).

Edit: My current version has a priority of 100 and the others of 500, could that be the problem?
you have a version installed that apt considers newer: 3:12.2-1~ppa2~saucy
Where did you get this, its definitely not from our ppa.

To install 12.3 do the following:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo add-apt-repository -y -r ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-prestable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Unsure where I got the current version from. I probably found a different PPA on this forum somewhere. Didn't know it was as simple as removing that version and re-installing after making sure your PPA was added.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for your PPA's wsnipex!
Hi there. I am new to this forum and i hope i can get some help upgrade my Eden V11 to Frodo.

I did:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

But still got Eden.

mike@mike-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy xbmc output:
xbmc:
Geïnstalleerd: 2:11.0~git20120423.cd20772-1
Kandidaat: 2:11.0~git20120423.cd20772-1
Versietabel:
*** 2:11.0~git20120423.cd20772-1 0
500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:11.0~git20120321.14feb09-0ubuntu1~ppa1~maverick 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Pa ckages
2:10.1~ppa1~maverick 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Pa ckages
N: Kan pakket output: niet vinden

Does somebody knows what i do wrong?

I appreciate all the help.
If I try to upgrade from 12.2 in XBMCBuntu via terminal code:

Code:

It says XBMC is already latest version 0 updated

So it doesn't seem to recognize that 12.3 is available? And the 12.3 download file is not in the \downloads\ page under XBMCBuntu

Also - running this code:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

actuall ROLLED XBMC BACK to Eden! So not only did I not get Frodo 12.3, I went from 12.2 to 11. Ugh.

Then tried to compile from source (git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git xbmc);
./configure worked
but /make results in: this error:

Code:
CPP     xbmc/guilib/JpegIO.o
In file included from /usr/local/include/jpeglib.h:27:0,
                 from JpegIO.h:29,
                 from JpegIO.cpp:29:
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:16: error: expected identifier before numeric constant
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:16: error: expected ‘}’ before numeric constant
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:16: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:36: error: expected declaration before ‘}’ token

No luck. So maybe just need to get back to 12.2... too bad its not easy as selecting an install file from within xbmc and click -ok-. Or if it is that easy, its not easy enough to figure that out i guess.

-update- trying to at least get back to 12.2 and during the make, I get this:

Code:
CPP     xbmc/pictures/Picture.o
In file included from /usr/local/include/jpeglib.h:27:0,
                 from /home/mediacenter/Downloads/xbmc-12.2/xbmc/guilib/JpegIO.h:29,
                 from Picture.cpp:35:
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:16: error: expected identifier before numeric constant
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:16: error: expected ‘}’ before numeric constant
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:16: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
/usr/local/include/jmorecfg.h:263:36: error: expected declaration before ‘}’ token
make[1]: *** [Picture.o] Error 1
make: *** [xbmc/pictures/pictures.a] Error 2
Not sure why I'm seeing these types of errors. I thought it was a 12.3 thing, but when 12.2 was already running, again not sure why this is happening. Any thoughts?
(2013-12-31, 07:13)FishOil Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 05:47)doug piston Wrote:
(2013-12-31, 02:39)FishOil Wrote: Why are you upgrading the entire OS to get XBMC?

It does update the ENTIRE OS. Every single package that has an update will be updated. dist-upgrade is actually a bit smarter in the way it upgrades.

Wait till it breaks something you had working perfectly. It happens, and it used to happen frequently.

Its a bad idea and unnecessary.
All it takes is
Code:

No, it updates packages that have updates. Not your whole OS, and don't spout out about breakage. I use Arch. Arch sucks. Smile

With your method it's no wonder you had issues.
I'm also seem to be having an issue upgrading xbmcuntu to 12.3

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, Thanks in advance.

I ran these commands:

everything appeared to be fine team-xbmc ppa was added

sudo apt-get update

Here's where I first noticied an issue, output I recieved

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_team-xbmc_ppa_ubuntu_dists_oneiric_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

tried running apt-get update again which resulted in the same message

sudo apt-get upgrade

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image linux-image-generic
xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

sudo apt-cache policy xbmc

xbmc:
Installed: 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0oneiric
Candidate: 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0oneiric
Version table:
*** 2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0oneiric 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to upgrade XBMCBuntu to 12.30