• 8(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
I was able to get Windows 7 installed but i had to use Legacy boot check which it says to disable in the pdf file for Windows 7.

Openelec was still a no go for me no matter what options i tried. Just locks up after selecting install from usb boot stick.

If i can get Windows 7 (64bit) drivers along with HD audio working and (or) Openelec supported I will be one happy camper.

Thanks for you help....
(2014-01-28, 05:43)JasonHoffman Wrote: All, I'll take a look at the openelec issue and see what I can get to work.

If Openelec works well on this unit, I'll get one for sure Wink
g
(2014-01-28, 05:12)JasonHoffman Wrote: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I noticed the discussion about the Bay Trail NUC and thought I'd chime in. I've used XBMC on several flavors of Linux and Windows on pretty much every incarnation of the NUC so far. I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 16 (alternating back & forth for testing) on the Bay Trail NUC.

So if you have questions I'll try to help. If I can't help I "know some people" who I can reach out to. I post fairly frequently in the Intel Community (yes, I'm THAT JasonHoffman) but someone mentioned my name had popped up here so I thought I'd try my hand here.

For the record I am an Intel employee. However I was not and am not involved in the devlopment of the NUC engineering-wise. What I do is write about my experiences with it as a platform, and post ideas, solutions, and occasionally how-tos.

So, fire away...but be nice.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Great to have you on-board. This is probably not your thing but I ask you anyways. Do you know when it will be on sale in Europe?

I mostly interested in getting openelec installed. XBMC seems to run a lot smoother using openelec.

rogerthis
(2014-01-28, 05:12)JasonHoffman Wrote: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I noticed the discussion about the Bay Trail NUC and thought I'd chime in. I've used XBMC on several flavors of Linux and Windows on pretty much every incarnation of the NUC so far. I'm currently running Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint 16 (alternating back & forth for testing) on the Bay Trail NUC.

So if you have questions I'll try to help. If I can't help I "know some people" who I can reach out to. I post fairly frequently in the Intel Community (yes, I'm THAT JasonHoffman) but someone mentioned my name had popped up here so I thought I'd try my hand here.

For the record I am an Intel employee. However I was not and am not involved in the devlopment of the NUC engineering-wise. What I do is write about my experiences with it as a platform, and post ideas, solutions, and occasionally how-tos.

So, fire away...but be nice.

Jason

Hi Jason
It seems that CEC isn't supported on the other NUC's so far! Do you know anything about CEC support on this NUC?
does somebody want to run some kind of benchmark? the only one available tus far (the one for n2810 on cpubenchmark) looks pretty suspect and I'm curious about how it would fare against a celeron 1007u or 1037u mini box
A real shame this doesn't have mSATA. There's mini-PCI express but according to the specs it does not support mSATA. I think I will wait until they release one with both mSATA and 2.5": don't want the slowness and inconvenience of having the OS and media on the same disk.
(2014-01-28, 14:09)CSMR Wrote: A real shame this doesn't have mSATA. There's mini-PCI express but according to the specs it does not support mSATA. I think I will wait until they release one with both mSATA and 2.5": don't want the slowness and inconvenience of having the OS and media on the same disk.

Why would you put media on the disk? You bung the OS on it and stream from your NAS/server or even USB attached drives.

That's why it's only got one port.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

There must be hundreds of posts about people wishing the NUCs had a 2.5" over mSATA before this one. Intel releases 1 NUC out of about a dozen that have mSATA and your wishing this particular one had mSATA?!
"A real shame this doesn't have mSATA. There's mini-PCI express but according to the specs it does not support mSATA. I think I will wait until they release one with both mSATA and 2.5"

The design of this NUC model is all about driving the overall cost down. Having both SATA and mSATA support would raise the price. That's also the reason you get only one HDMI port and no DisplayPort. This design is the low-cost, entry level, HTPC and/or workstation model.

That being said, my ideal usage model for an HTPC is a NUC with both mSATA and internal SATA support. That way I can run my OS on the mSATA and have a large, cheap platter SATA drive for media and recorded TV storage. For that you'll want the i3 board in the tall case (releasing very soon). It gives you the best of both worlds.

Jason
when it says that DTS-HD passthrough will be supported soon, does it also mean that we will be able to passthrough TrueHD and other HD audio?
(2014-01-28, 10:46)Cordo Wrote: It seems that CEC isn't supported on the other NUC's so far! Do you know anything about CEC support on this NUC?

CEC is supported on NUCs via the "Custom Solutions Header". The problem is fitting the "Pulse Eight" CEC adaptor inside the NUC.
Hi Jason.

Thanks for joining the forum. Burning Questions that come up repeatedly on here, that would be great for Intel to answer:

1. Can you submit a test to cpubenchmark.net so we can compare N2820 vs Celeron 1007U ?

2. What does DTS-HD support in the product literature mean ? Passthrough only or decode?

3. Will there be passthrough for TrueHD, DTS-HD HR ?

4. Does the graphics hardware contain the 23.976 fix in the Haswell NUCs? <== this one is the most asked.
(2014-01-28, 01:33)SgtSlaughter Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 19:56)yuyak Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 18:03)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I just installed Windows 8 on my Baytrail kit with a 512GB SSD and 8 Gigs of ram.
It is fast very fast I am happy with the kit as just a player or a downloader.

It sounds like you want should spend some money and get a one baytrail for encoding and a second for playback.
I have no issues running 720 (60% CPU load on both cores with windows 8). I will test the 1080 later.

Awesome. When you do get around to testing 1080, can you comment on the fan noise too? Thanks!!

I tested the 1080. I saw 85% cpu spike. the payback looked good to me. I ran into some messed up playback on the VC1. h264 (40mbps and 10 mbps) worked very fast.
I can't hear anything from the case.
That's great news. Thanks!

(2014-01-28, 02:11)mhaaland Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 22:58)yuyak Wrote: yeah, I was pretty sure it had a fan, but if it's so quiet you didn't think it had a fan, that's pretty good Smile

It does have a small fan. I lifted the MB to see.

Hopefully they will have a BIOS update to fix Legacy booting and DTS-HD bitstreaming soon. Also Windows 7 drivers would be nice.

The only thing that ive been able to boot is a Windows 8 boot USB. WIndows 8 seems to run fairly well. No lag that I can detect. The nice thing is that is only pulling 10 watts at full load!! Very efficient...
That DTS-HD issue is my biggest remaining concern. I hope you're right.
(2014-01-28, 17:46)joelbaby Wrote: Hi Jason.

Thanks for joining the forum. Burning Questions that come up repeatedly on here, that would be great for Intel to answer:

1. Can you submit a test to cpubenchmark.net so we can compare N2820 vs Celeron 1007U ?

2. What does DTS-HD support in the product literature mean ? Passthrough only or decode?

3. Will there be passthrough for TrueHD, DTS-HD HR ?

4. Does the graphics hardware contain the 23.976 fix in the Haswell NUCs? <== this one is the most asked.

I will run cpubenchmark tonight on my windows 8.0 build.
I've passed on the questions from this thread to the team. I'll post as soon as I hear back.

Jason
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5