Some questions before buying an Intel NUC
Hello again everyone! Learned a lot from this site and with the information and suggestions in my first thread, have made the decision to go with an Intel i3 NUC. Just looking for some guidance before I make the purchases online.

This is the unit I'm talking about. I don't really have options if I want an i3 right?

Now along with the NUC itself, what I think I'll be needing is
  • USB 3.0 Drive for Openelec
  • Wireless LAN thing lol? I read that the i3 NUC doesnt come with one...
  • IR remote? Apparently the i3 comes with an IR receiver...
  • Mini HDMI to HDMI cable to hook into my TV

I see it at Amazon here for $299 but the prices seem to vary quite a bit online, I'm guessing there's more than one version of the i3 unit?

For wireless LAN, I'm assuming something like the Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter will allow me to connect the NUC to my network.

For an IR remote I have no idea, hoping for some suggestions here.

EDIT: If it's any relevance, here's a recap of what I'm looking for out of my first NUC...

Quote:Basically...
Stream live television (TV shows, sporting events etc. 1080p would be great but not sure how much of that I'll get from streaming)
Connect to internet wirelessly
Small/ compact
Decent video quality (I guess for my case it depends on the stream? Are most stream quality decent?
Playing media from home is not needed at all. I just want something to stream live TV.
1080p over WiFi. Forget it.

Buy homeplugs.

Have a read of the NUC wiki [link in my sig] it'll fill some of the gaps.

Don't think you can boot off USB3. Look into a crucial m4 msata SSD. I just bought a 32GB for £35 posted. Any RC6 remote will work, or use a harmony remote programmed up as a Microsoft media center remote.

Plenty of threads on NUCs, remotes etc. do a search.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I can stream 1080p over wifi - 150mbps / 100% signal - to my RPi without any problems.

Depends on the NUC, you can get a thundebolt-to-ethernet adapter for the one that doesn't have ethernet.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-02-05, 23:52)xbs08 Wrote: I can stream 1080p over wifi - 150mbps / 100% signal - to my RPi without any problems.

1080p doesn't consume 150mbps, nor is it likely that your Pi can sustain that rate off a USB wireless adaptor.

What is the bit-rate of the 1080p movies you are playing on your Pi?
(2014-02-05, 23:09)jammyb Wrote: 1080p over WiFi. Forget it.

Buy homeplugs.

Don't think you can boot off USB3. Look into a crucial m4 msata SSD. I just bought a 32GB for £35 posted. Any RC6 remote will work, or use a harmony remote programmed up as a Microsoft media center remote.

I'm with Openelec 3.2.4 + i3 NUC+ harmony 300i and the remote delay it's terribly slow. Do you know how to solve it?
I don't use a USB wireless adaptor, my RPi is wire connected to a 300 mbps dd-wrt router and streams from a 150mbps PC that is connected via wireless to the dd-wrt router.

This plays fine:
Samsung.Demo.Oceanic.Life.x264.1080p.40Mbps

But mostly ~8-10.000 Kbps

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-02-06, 00:30)javiertoti Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 23:09)jammyb Wrote: 1080p over WiFi. Forget it.

Buy homeplugs.

I'm with Openelec 3.2.4 + i3 NUC+ harmony 300i and the remote delay it's terribly slow. Do you know how to solve it?

Yeah. Get myharmony.com to adjust the key delay for your remote. Do a search on here. It's been posted how to.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

You cant do that with the 300i.
You can try reducing the delay by editing files on OE.

They did my 300s no problem. The 300i is only gloss black! As I said. It's doable. Do a search.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

You fixed your 300s delay issues in myharmony.com?
Could you post a tutorial for that?

TIA

Nope. It's already on a thread. Search is at the top of the page.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-05, 23:09)jammyb Wrote: Yeah. Get myharmony.com to adjust the key delay for your remote. Do a search on here. It's been posted how to.

jammyb believe me, I've made a lot of searchs. I've tried to change the autostart.sh, the advancedsettings.xml and it has no effect. Moreover the harmony 300 doesn't have an option to change the delay like the 600 or higer models. The desktop version don't seem compatible with the harmony 300, it doesn't complete the conection process. I've written to the Harmony support as I read before.

What did you do exactly? Please tell us.
(2014-02-07, 00:53)javiertoti Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 23:09)jammyb Wrote: Yeah. Get myharmony.com to adjust the key delay for your remote. Do a search on here. It's been posted how to.

jammyb believe me, I've made a lot of searchs. I've tried to change the autostart.sh, the advancedsettings.xml and it has no effect. Moreover the harmony 300 doesn't have an option to change the delay like the 600 or higer models. The desktop version don't seem compatible with the harmony 300, it doesn't complete the conection process. I've written to the Harmony support as I read before.

What did you do exactly? Please tell us.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...d-p/763041

http://208.74.204.120/t5/MyHarmony-com/s...8?nobounce

According to these threads, you have to call or email MyHarmony support to have them adjust the delay for you. You can't actually do it yourself from the website.

(2014-02-06, 22:10)jammyb Wrote: Nope. It's already on a thread. Search is at the top of the page.

Your suggestions confused everyone, and the confusion came from your use of the word "myharmony.com" in place of the words "customer support". When reading your original statement, one might have inferred that you would be able to change the delay settings by yourself on the website. You could have simply clarified that you contacted myharmony support and had them adjust it for you, instead of just telling people to search for something they obviously weren't finding.
Didn't confuse no one.

I typed in "harmony remote delay" in search.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1483618

It's on the first page. Not difficult.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-07, 06:48)jammyb Wrote: Didn't confuse no one.

I typed in "harmony remote delay" in search.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1483618

It's on the first page. Not difficult.

Yeah except you told someone about my harmony.com which was confusing to everyone but you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some questions before buying an Intel NUC0