• 48(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-03-04, 15:01)noggin Wrote:
(2014-03-04, 01:43)voip-ninja Wrote: Even the i3 can't handle H265 if I understand previous comments in the Haswell NUC thread. H265 is years away from being something you are going to be playing on an HTPC in your living room... and when it does happen you are going to need new gear with hardware support for H265 baked in.

In future proofing an HTPC the most you can hope for is something that will play common formats for a couple of years reasonably well. Heck, current crop of NUCs + XBMC can't even handle 3D fully.

I'm not sure it's that far away. H265/HEVC is being broadcast on satellite in Europe as the preferred codec for 4k 2160/50p tests (earlier tests used 4 quarter screen h264 1080/50p streams that needed to be stitched) I'm not sure it's as far away as you think.

There are two test broadcasts at 4.8E and 19.2E : http://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?questio...Submit=Zap (Not sure if these are 4k or HD, and there have been some Eutelsat 4k HEVC tests as well)

Some SoC vendors are adding HEVC/H265 support already - I wouldn't be surprised to see GPU acceleration (either through H265 support or GPU compute) appearing pretty quickly on platforms that support it. H265/HEVC is definitely on the way - both for 4K content and to increase the efficiency of HD compression on newer platforms. (Just as H264 has started to replace MPEG2 for SD)

(I've been playing with 1080/50p and 2160/50p compression recently - using the SVT and EBU uncompressed clips as sources. The SVT stuff is available at 48bit depth - 16 bit linear RGB - at 2160/50p. It was shot on 65mm film about 10 years ago, though the film transfer was less than 16 bits, but used log quantisation not linear)

Well this is getting off topic, isn't it? This thread is about a $150 box that most certainly will not play H265 in any shape or form. We can debate all week long "how soon" before we will desire to have H265 support on HTPC in the living room, but doesn't do anyone buying a NUC any good, does it? Personally I believe that optical disc will be close to extinct by the time H265 really gains a foothold in the home media distribution market.... and since I buy all of my content instead of pirating it, I probably won't have an HTPC at that point other than to play stuff I've already ripped.
(2014-03-04, 17:16)voip-ninja Wrote: Well this is getting off topic, isn't it?
Yep - Confused

Quote:This thread is about a $150 box that most certainly will not play H265 in any shape or form.
Yes - possibly 180x144 at 12.5fps?
Quote:We can debate all week long "how soon" before we will desire to have H265 support on HTPC in the living room, but doesn't do anyone buying a NUC any good, does it? Personally I believe that optical disc will be close to extinct by the time H265 really gains a foothold in the home media distribution market.... and since I buy all of my content instead of pirating it, I probably won't have an HTPC at that point other than to play stuff I've already ripped.

Yes - I'm in a similar position (I favour CDs over paid-for-downloads in music as well) - though I also watch and record lots of TV - so if/when 4K HEVC arrives I'll have a need for an HTPC to perform PVR duties for it. This is assuming public service broadcasters move to it - though the experience of HDTV H264 has been good in this regard. (Will be interesting to see if HEVC is used to help cope with the loss of the 700MHz band in Europe for TV that appears to be impending...)
(2014-02-27, 13:50)Vincent1983 Wrote:
(2014-02-22, 04:39)kindrudekid Wrote: Any one know how to get sound working on ubuntu 64 bit?

I finally configured everything: skins, config, name it and off course after doing a dist-upgrade and autoclean of older kernels I loose my audio.... FML.

anyone know how to get sound up?

(2014-02-26, 02:40)Geekzilla Wrote:
(2014-02-26, 00:37)Vincent1983 Wrote: Dear Members,

As stated before im still having problems with DTS HD master audio.
When this function is enabled the image slows down and the sound sounds like a chopper.
When disabling this function the stream returns to normal DTS. I have a dts-hd capable receiver
so that shouldn't be the problem.

Can anyone confirm that he has a working setup of the Nuc 2820 with Openelec Xbmc and DTS HD audio?

Hopefully can one of you answer the question as i have read more about this issue on this and other forums.

Thank You.
Vincent.

Can you post some screenshots of your settings screens?

Thank you for all the response Will try to make some screenshots tonight.

Hi All,

Again tried the latest build 17844 stil the stuttering sound and image when trying to play dts-hd files.
Going to think that it has something to do with my install because of the little complaints about this issue that i can find.
Any ideas would be helpful?

Thank you
Vincent
Harmony One and Win8.1 almost sorted now!

Don't add an MCE device to the Harmony, under Computer, Media Centre, pick Microsoft for a manufacturer and XBMC for a model.
That adds a device with all the native XBMC commands, and so far every XBMC command works inc Info and Context Menu.

Only bit of tweaking is the default PowerOn doesn't turn on the NUC, but found the PowerToggle option does.
Just need to get it to use PowerToggle as the activity startup command.
edit - wrong thread.
Seems there's an issue with vc-1 decoding, high CPU useage compared to h264.

Sure it's an intel driver issue, can anyone test to confirm?
(2014-03-04, 21:10)danivtec Wrote: Seems there's an issue with vc-1 decoding, high CPU useage compared to h264.

From the other Haswell NUC thread this appears to be a problem with Intel driver support for VC1. Unless something newer has happened the recommendation in that thread, was if you wanted to use internal GPU you should not use VC1... instead transcode to H.264. Not a very good solution obviously. My understanding is that in addition to the high processor utilization with VC1 there are other problems like picture artifacts that happen. Intel have not acknowledged or fixed this issue.
DXVA Checker output of this NUC, I see QFHD( 2160p) on some codecs:
Quote:Intel® HD Graphics
MPEG2_VLD: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD
MPEG2_IDCT: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD
MPEG2_A: DXVA1, SD / HD / FHD
MPEG2_C: DXVA1, SD / HD / FHD
VC1_VLD2010: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD
VC1_VLD_2_ClearVideo: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
VC1_VLD_ClearVideo: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
WMV9_IDCT: DXVA1/2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
VC1_IDCT: DXVA1/2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
H264_VLD_NoFGT: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
91CD2D6E-897B-4FA1-B0D7-51DC88010E0A: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
442B942A-B4D9-4940-BC45-A882E5F919F3: DXVA2/D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
97688186-56A8-4094-B543-FC9DAAA49F4B: D3D11, -
FFC79924-5EAF-4666-A736-06190F281443: D3D11, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
F416F7BD-098A-4CF1-A11B-CE54959CA03D: D3D11, SD / HD / FHD
49761BEC-4B63-4349-A5FF-87FFDF088466: DXVA2/D3D11, -
A74CCAE2-F466-45AE-86F5-AB8BE8AF8483: DXVA2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
(2014-03-03, 12:48)Bagpuss Wrote:
(2014-02-28, 11:55)Bagpuss Wrote:
(2014-02-27, 21:09)kyoo Wrote: Bagpuss, that remote looks pretty perfect.. very much like my beloved Boxee Box remote.. Please share your results once you receive it.. I'd like to know, especially, if you're able to find a way to power on the NUC with that remote.

On a related note, I was able to find a Pronto HEX code to emulate an MCE remote somewhat. I have a discrete power OFF (actually standby, I think).. but I can't find a discrete code for power ON that actually works..

I'm hoping it will arrive in the next couple of days. Will post results as soon as I've had chance to muck about with it.

With regards to power on, and power off commands, then I've programmed my Harmony using IR codes from an XBOX360 media remote. This works perfectly for pretty much all XBMC operations, including powering the NUC on and off.

One of the reasons I like the i25, is because it is capable of learning IR remote commands from another remote. That way, I can teach it power on commands from the XBOX remote, but make volume up and down use the commands for my Yamaha AVR. It was the only remote I could find which has the combination of RF (for the keyboard/mouse etc.) and IR learning for other commands.

Have now got this remote, and it's working brilliantly.

Rather than clutter up this thread with chat about it, I've posted my findings and configuration in a new thread here.

Hi Bagpuss,
This is just the thing I was looking for but was struggling to find. I was looking at the Mele F10 also and was about to buy before seeing the above. So a few questions if you don't mind?

Do you have both and think the Rii i25 is better?
Did the Rii i25 take much tweaking to get working or did it go pretty much out of the box?
Is it's range OK?
Does it sync up to the box OK?
Do you need the dongle to get it to work or does it work with just it?
Sorry more than a few questions...☺

Also good review in the separate thread!

Many thanks
RLTW
-----------------------------------------------
NUC Kit DN2820FYKH
Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB
Kingston 60GB SSD
Openelec 4.2.1
-----------------------------------------------
(2014-03-04, 21:10)danivtec Wrote: Seems there's an issue with vc-1 decoding, high CPU useage compared to h264.

I think there was an Issue with VC1 Interlaced Video when played it with HW Acceleration,
so the Workaround was to play those files with SW Playback, until Intel fix this Bug.
| myHTPC |
(2014-03-05, 07:12)-DDD- Wrote:

I think there was an Issue with VC1 Interlaced Video when played it with HW Acceleration,
so the Workaround was to play those files with SW Playback, until Intel fix this Bug.

It's too bad you can't disable hardware acceleration ONLY for VC1 file playback, I don't think that is possible.

This bug has existed for intel for quite some time so it is doubtful if they ever fix it.
You mean this one?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1625292
| myHTPC |
(2014-03-05, 21:12)-DDD- Wrote: You mean this one?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1625292

Ah... interesting I must have missed that post from Fritsch. It's not clear what he means though by VC1 playback in general being better in Gotham... unless this problem has somehow been resolved in FFMPEG libraries... my understanding was that VC1 problems on NUCs were entirely due to crappy Intel driver support.
(2014-03-04, 20:39)Fra-HTPC Wrote: Harmony One and Win8.1 almost sorted now!

Don't add an MCE device to the Harmony, under Computer, Media Centre, pick Microsoft for a manufacturer and XBMC for a model. That adds a device with all the native XBMC commands, and so far every XBMC command works inc Info and Context Menu.

Only bit of tweaking is the default PowerOn doesn't turn on the NUC, but found the PowerToggle option does. Just need to get it to use PowerToggle as the activity startup command.
Excellent work and thanks for the follow up! I went looking for the MCE remote that came with my old IR receiver, but I couldn't find it. This seems like a simple fix for those of us with Harmony remotes.
(2014-03-05, 02:15)RideLikeTheWind Wrote:
(2014-03-03, 12:48)Bagpuss Wrote:
(2014-02-28, 11:55)Bagpuss Wrote: I'm hoping it will arrive in the next couple of days. Will post results as soon as I've had chance to muck about with it.

With regards to power on, and power off commands, then I've programmed my Harmony using IR codes from an XBOX360 media remote. This works perfectly for pretty much all XBMC operations, including powering the NUC on and off.

One of the reasons I like the i25, is because it is capable of learning IR remote commands from another remote. That way, I can teach it power on commands from the XBOX remote, but make volume up and down use the commands for my Yamaha AVR. It was the only remote I could find which has the combination of RF (for the keyboard/mouse etc.) and IR learning for other commands.

Have now got this remote, and it's working brilliantly.

Rather than clutter up this thread with chat about it, I've posted my findings and configuration in a new thread here.

Hi Bagpuss,
This is just the thing I was looking for but was struggling to find. I was looking at the Mele F10 also and was about to buy before seeing the above. So a few questions if you don't mind?

Do you have both and think the Rii i25 is better?
Did the Rii i25 take much tweaking to get working or did it go pretty much out of the box?
Is it's range OK?
Does it sync up to the box OK?
Do you need the dongle to get it to work or does it work with just it?
Sorry more than a few questions...☺

Also good review in the separate thread!

Many thanks
RLTW

Hi RLTW,

Rather than clutter up this thread with off topic stuff, I'll answer your questions in the i25 specific thread I started here.
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5