Why are remotes always so ugly?
bought one of these back in the day and it's fine. cost me about $30 with the receiver.

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2006/07/1...remote.jpg

sure it's utilitarian but it's far from ugly.
(2014-03-25, 05:29)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2014-03-25, 05:20)teeedubb Wrote: then look down at the screen to make sure I press the right button cause you can't feel your way to the button with a touch screen.

This is the main reason why I don't care for a 100% touch screen remote. I love the way they look, but not for my TV setup..
That's why there are also touch screen remotes that have implemented the gesture zone! one finger navigation throughout the XBMC interface without looking down at the screen!
(2014-03-25, 14:20)ext23 Wrote: bought one of these back in the day and it's fine. cost me about $30 with the receiver.

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2006/07/1...remote.jpg

sure it's utilitarian but it's far from ugly.

I have the same one. Found it at a thrift store with the receiver for 7$. I think its great, just doesn't control the tv so i don't really use it. My favorite remote is the original xbox remote, just have never been able to get it to work with anything else.
OK, so what would the perfect hardware remote for XBMC look like?

Would the most used functions be located in a certain place?

On many remotes the number buttons occupy a place of importance, but are they even necessary for XBMC?

How large should the whole device be? Shape?
Check out the black slim xbox 360 media remote. It's my new favorite. $15, and it works with MCE receivers and can also control the TV/receiver volume. I love the layout and I think it has the perfect amount of buttons (not too many, not too little).
Isn't Apple's quite nice ? ( Big Grin )

No, seriously though, my opinion is that the remotes with the least compromise are (like joethefox said) smartphones applications who are gesture based. But you can't turn on or off other components (unless you have CEC working.)

As for my ideal remote :
  • Not too much buttons (ease of use) ;
  • Enough buttons (I don't want to be 15 'back' presses away from the main menu !) ;
  • Backlighted buttons;
  • A screen to put a meaningful name to custom actions;
  • Be able to turn on or off (with one button) all my components;
  • Be fast (no IR.)
As a bonus, the screen could also be used to select a movie or the next song, etc.

I don't suppose we'll see that one anytime soon :-) !
(2014-03-25, 17:59)Ned Scott Wrote: Check out the black slim xbox 360 media remote. It's my new favorite. $15, and it works with MCE receivers and can also control the TV/receiver volume. I love the layout and I think it has the perfect amount of buttons (not too many, not too little).

+1...got it to work after the regedit mod...its perfect for xbmc, and it has TV control. power, input,volume.
(2014-03-25, 17:59)Ned Scott Wrote: Check out the black slim xbox 360 media remote. It's my new favorite. $15, and it works with MCE receivers and can also control the TV/receiver volume. I love the layout and I think it has the perfect amount of buttons (not too many, not too little).

Ned, which one are you talking about?

1-

OR

2-
anyone have any luck with the PS3 media remote? Most of the buttons are bluetooth but there are IR volume/power/input select. I couldnt find any threads on here about it since "PS3" is too short to search
(2014-03-25, 23:22)DaveNinja Wrote: anyone have any luck with the PS3 media remote? Most of the buttons are bluetooth but there are IR volume/power/input select. I couldnt find any threads on here about it since "PS3" is too short to search

I have it and it works great with Openelec.Works out of the box. If you have BT great, if not get a small BT dongle. hold down the select and enter and it pairs just fine. Controls my TV and AV (albeit limited control) and I think there is a fix to the enormous battery drain as well which I have not yet tried. I dont kid when I say my brand new batteries were dead after two days. Thankfully I have two apirs of rechargeable ones so thats not a major headache for me at the moment.

What I am struggling with is mapping the home key though. Out of the box, the "angle" key takes you back to the last menu but I want to access Home with one button so I can navigate the menu while a video is playing and I am yet to figure it out. But at the moment, PS3 Media remote is my remote of choice.
(2014-03-25, 12:06)herds Wrote: hardware remote for me all the way.

Until there is some kind of haptic feedback the ol' plastic remote will be king.

Haptic feedback is not the issue and as far as I know most already have it (Like the official XBMC remote). Its the known position of any given button (by feel) thats the issue.
I have One For All OARI06G . Works well with Media Center code.

I use the ps3 remote (with IR) in the living room because the MCE remote kept resetting my tv when I was using it. That is now in the bedroom and I will need to purchase a new mce one for the daughters room.
i ordered the PS3 media remote and will give it a try. if i cant get it working on my xbmc bedroom set up, i'll just use it with my PS3 (which i mainly use for WWE Network and MLB.tv)
(2014-03-26, 04:22)BigB42078 Wrote: I have One For All OARI06G . Works well with Media Center code.

I have that exact same remote and use it to control my sky and tv controls. How do you set it up to work with Openelec?
Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why are remotes always so ugly?0