• 44(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-07, 00:36)thess Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 00:22)jdtimmons Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 22:11)thess Wrote: When it comes to the Harmony/XBMC combo, at least there's always many different ways to get at the problem. You could either use the keycap add-on within XBMC to assign one of your buttons to the 'parent directory' navigational command...or maybe try a different device. I would probably (once I got a flirc) add an MCE Keyboard device profile to my FireTV activity, and use that to send keystroke commands to XBMC.

Thanks for the info...I'll try the keycap addon next... i actually tried the mce profile and the timing was off. .. Had to click multiple times for the flirc to register the keypress... And couldn't find a working back button on it either. .. so I went back to the costar profile...

(Sorry, should be "keymap" addon, typo earlier. But it's an XBMC program addon.)

Well thank you, that worked perfectly. ... I now have a fully functional harmony remote Smile ... Well except for the amazon home and voice search buttons... But I can live without those. ...
(2014-04-07, 00:41)wizziwig Wrote: So what are the limitations of this device?

Does it output native 23.976 over HDMI?
Does it pass-through HD audio over HDMI? DTS HD? True HD?
What is the maximum bitrate it can decode? Can it do full BD remuxes at ~50 Mbps?
What codecs can it decode? Just H.264 or also VC1 and MPEG2?

Until those questions are answered, I'm not sure how this compares to the many other android boxes selling at similar prices.

If you can provide me samples I'll be happy to test. It currently doesn't support remux (uncompressed) blurays.

Also keep in mind the device has been out for 3 days.
I remember seeing that the specs said it's capable of upto 20Mbps.. I wonder if xbmc can push that a bit further once everything is configured.
So I like the keyboard code to customize it for the fire http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alt..._TV_remote but how do I get to the user data folder I am using es file explorer but it takes me as far as /sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files do I just make more folders or can I place the keyboard.xml there and do I have to delete anything?
(2014-04-07, 04:08)rj2763 Wrote: So I like the keyboard code to customize it for the fire (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alt..._TV_remote) but how do I get to the user data folder I am using es file explorer but it takes me as far as /sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files do I just make more folders or can I place the keyboard.xml there and do I have to delete anything?

I used xbmc's file manager to browse to where I had the xml file on my media server, then copied it to Profile directory/keymaps/
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.

What is the maximum bitrate it can decode? Can it do full BD remuxes at ~50 Mbps?

Until those questions are answered, I'm not sure how this compares to the many other android boxes selling at similar prices.

I'm pretty sure people are still just struggling to get video/audio playback correct on gotham. Going to be awhile before any of your questions are answered.
(2014-04-07, 04:08)rj2763 Wrote: So I like the keyboard code to customize it for the fire (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alt..._TV_remote ) but how do I get to the user data folder I am using es file explorer but it takes me as far as /sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files do I just make more folders or can I place the keyboard.xml there and do I have to delete anything?
Can you please fix your url to exclude the closing parenthesis ?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-07, 04:33)jocala Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 04:08)rj2763 Wrote: So I like the keyboard code to customize it for the fire (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alt..._TV_remote) but how do I get to the user data folder I am using es file explorer but it takes me as far as /sdcard/Android/data/tv.ouya.xbmc/files do I just make more folders or can I place the keyboard.xml there and do I have to delete anything?

I used xbmc's file manager to browse to where I had the xml file on my media server, then copied it to Profile directory/keymaps/

how do I access the profile directory for keymaps?
(2014-04-07, 04:45)tential Wrote:

I'm pretty sure people are still just struggling to get video/audio playback correct on gotham. Going to be awhile before any of your questions are answered.

VC1/MPEG2 addressed at this link. Short answer, no.

(2014-04-07, 04:54)rj2763 Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 04:33)jocala Wrote:

how do I access the profile directory for keymaps?

If you bring up the file manager it should be listed right there. Click on Profile directory and you'll see a list of files and directories. keymaps is there.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
BTW you can stream youtube video from iOS as a Chromecast.

1) Nope, Android has no control over display driver it cant dynamically switch from 60Hz to 24Hz though some Android boxes do have a manual 24Hz setting.
2) Wait and see if XBMC can work any magic here, the chip the FireTV uses is the Snapdragon 600 series 8064M which supported DTS-HD at one point but it's not supported by Amazon's own internal media player. DTS is not supported by the FireTV but has been proven to work with XBMC at least stereo decoding it.
3) According to the specs from Amazon average 20Mbps but other places in relation to Qualcomm SoC's mention a peak 40Mbps ?
4) H.263, H.264, VC-1, MPEG-4 ASP and VP8.

I believe Amazon mislabelled the part in it as an APQ8064 in their docs which is a tablet development platform but Qualcomm also had a TV version called the MPQ8064 which was renamed the 8064M and there is even a video demo on Youtube of the MPQ8064 sporting a cruder version of the FireTV UI from last year.
I haven't spotted any reference to the PSU. For those of us contemplating importing from US... Its a 5.5mm 6.25v 2.5a PSU... Question is what is the size of the center pin? Also out of interest, how long is the cable on US psu?
I should be getting my Fire TV later today. I currently run XBMC on my OUYA in my bedroom (audio straight through the TV) and was wondering if anybody could comment of the performance of the Fire TV on SPMC 12.3.3 or OUYA 12.3.4 as compared to XBMC running on the OUYA.

Thanks.
(2014-04-07, 14:11)ktrdsl23 Wrote: I should be getting my Fire TV later today. I currently run XBMC on my OUYA in my bedroom (audio straight through the TV) and was wondering if anybody could comment of the performance of the Fire TV on SPMC 12.3.3 or OUYA 12.3.4 as compared to XBMC running on the OUYA.

Thanks.

As far as navigating within xbmc the fire TV is snappy. Movie list loads quick (I have a 800+) collection. When scanning for content it also performs quicker but playback of media is pretty much the same.

Ouya version I've noticed is best for plugins, pass through audio options.
Spmc is better for skins.

Both version play 720p, 1080i, 1080p and neither play bluray remux files.
I have been playing around with the fire tv for two days and so far I'm super happy with it. I'm running SPMC 12.3.2 and it runs pretty well super responsive. the only issue i have is the audio is only lpcm 2.0

no lag on video at 1080p
I also have atv2 and the fire tv is a lot faster in the past two days that i have used it it has never crashed were with the apple tv sometimes it freezes and has to be unplugged

have tested gothem but video lags and you have to fast forward and rewind in order for it to even play

its upper easy to sideload xbmc onto to it the app in under settings/apps a little anting to have to go to but hopefully owe will be able to put it in the home screen

Hope this helps
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10