• 43(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Works great! Good work, thank you.
(2014-07-12, 21:44)Matt Devo Wrote: script updated to use my custom OpenELEC build w/USB wake enabled, vs standard OpenELEC build.

I currently do my own build of OpenELEC with other patches, what changes need to be made to the build to enable USB3 Wake?
(2014-07-13, 04:39)mdumont1 Wrote: I currently do my own build of OpenELEC with other patches, what changes need to be made to the build to enable USB3 Wake?

remove 'xhci-hcd' from /packages/sysutils/busybox/config/suspend-modules.conf
remove '|xhci_hcd' from /packages/linux/udev.d/30-disable-wakeup.rules

then do a clean build (or at least clean busybox and linux)
You sir, are awesome! Works like a charm. Woot!
I can't wait to get home and give this a shot! I just picked up my second Chromebook (I have an ASUS C720 and now an HP 14"). We will be driving across country and most of my ripped movies won't play the audio in ChromeOS, so I hope OE works well and I can keep the kids entertained with this.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose 3.14.1 as the kernel? There is 3.14.12 or even 3.15.5.

Also, the XBMC that the script pulls is now 13.1 in case you would like to update the first post.
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
(2014-07-13, 20:45)VanillaXtract Wrote: I can't wait to get home and give this a shot! I just picked up my second Chromebook (I have an ASUS C720 and now an HP 14"). We will be driving across country and most of my ripped movies won't play the audio in ChromeOS, so I hope OE works well and I can keep the kids entertained with this.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose 3.14.1 as the kernel? There is 3.14.12 or even 3.15.5.

Also, the XBMC that the script pulls is now 13.1 in case you would like to update the first post.

The dual-boot functionality of the script should work for any Haswell-based ChromeOS device, so you're all set there.

OpenELEC will work fine, just set it to software decoding and enable multi-threaded decoding.

3.14.1 was/is used for Ubuntu dual boot since 1) it was the most current available when I put this together initially, and 2) someone was nice enough to compile the MCE remote patch for it. Honestly, Fedora runs better than Ubuntu on the ChromeBox anyway, Ubuntu is just a remnant from when ChromeOS was Ubuntu-based, and dual booting still used the ChromeOS kernel. If someone cares to update the script to use a newer kernel, I'll gladly integrated it, but it's not where I'm spending my time these days.

OpenELEC will use whatever kernel version they are currently using on their stable release, which is currently 3.14.11.
(2014-06-19, 16:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-19, 16:54)live4ever Wrote: I'd like to upgrade to coreboot with this script but I can't seem to get the CN60 Chromebox to boot from USB (ChromiumOS) anymore.

Currently I'm running the SeaBIOS from here:
http://johnlewis.ie/asus-chromebox-owners-rejoice/

and booting a dedicated OpenELEC from the SSD.

Pressing ESC at boot I get the choice of SSD or USB (options 1&2) but it always boots from the hard drive (even if I remove the SSD).
It booted fine before from USB when I installed OpenELEC.

Thanks for all your work Matt.

not sure what you mean by 'it boots from the hard drive even if I remove the SSD' - not sure how that's possible. If you mean the text shows 'booting from hard disk', then that's normal for SeaBIOS - it only distinguishes between hard disk, cdrom, and floppy disk. My custom build is the only one that shows 'booting from USB' for USB devices.

did you try using another USB stick to boot ChromiumOS?

Ok I finally found a USB that would boot ChromiumOS but I am getting a checksum error when downloading the firmware:

(2014-07-14, 04:13)live4ever Wrote: Ok I finally found a USB that would boot ChromiumOS but I am getting a checksum error when downloading the firmware:

mistake on my end, retry now (re-download the script before re-running)
Worked well, thanks so much for all your work on this!
Getting a problem on resume, my audio device isn't getting recognized (so no audio) and requires me to either reboot or change the audio settings and then switch back. I don't know if it is an Openelec issue or a Custom Openelec issue since I never had suspend/resume working before.
(2014-07-13, 20:54)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-07-13, 20:45)VanillaXtract Wrote: I can't wait to get home and give this a shot! I just picked up my second Chromebook (I have an ASUS C720 and now an HP 14"). We will be driving across country and most of my ripped movies won't play the audio in ChromeOS, so I hope OE works well and I can keep the kids entertained with this.

The dual-boot functionality of the script should work for any Haswell-based ChromeOS device, so you're all set there.

OpenELEC will work fine, just set it to software decoding and enable multi-threaded decoding.

3.14.1 was/is used for Ubuntu dual boot since 1) it was the most current available when I put this together initially, and 2) someone was nice enough to compile the MCE remote patch for it. Honestly, Fedora runs better than Ubuntu on the ChromeBox anyway, Ubuntu is just a remnant from when ChromeOS was Ubuntu-based, and dual booting still used the ChromeOS kernel. If someone cares to update the script to use a newer kernel, I'll gladly integrated it, but it's not where I'm spending my time these days.

OpenELEC will use whatever kernel version they are currently using on their stable release, which is currently 3.14.11.

Good enough for me. I ran into a problem however.

I enabled developer mode and installed the OpenELEC dual boot. On step 2, I saw some things on the screen about write-protect. I disassembled the book and removed the BIOS-lock screw (I have a Falco model). Rebooted and reinstalled again. When I attempt to boot to OpenELEC I get a blank screen. Any suggestions?
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
(2014-07-14, 04:32)jsp1 Wrote: Getting a problem on resume, my audio device isn't getting recognized (so no audio) and requires me to either reboot or change the audio settings and then switch back. I don't know if it is an Openelec issue or a Custom Openelec issue since I never had suspend/resume working before.

sounds like your audio device isn't re-initializing after resume. I'd hop on the OpenELEC forums and/or IRC channel and see if anyone there has a suggestion.

(2014-07-14, 04:56)VanillaXtract Wrote: Good enough for me. I ran into a problem however.

I enabled developer mode and installed the OpenELEC dual boot. On step 2, I saw some things on the screen about write-protect. I disassembled the book and removed the BIOS-lock screw (I have a Falco model). Rebooted and reinstalled again. When I attempt to boot to OpenELEC I get a blank screen. Any suggestions?

seems like some people run into this problem with the dual-boot setup, and I'm at a loss to explain the problem. I do know that doing a factory reset (eg, using the recovery media to reset the drive) and then reinstalling seems to take care of the problem, which is why I added that step to the device setup section of the wiki for dual-boot users.
Thanks for the quick reply. I just finished doing that. Works just fine now. I may have skipped that initial step of power washing. But all is good now so I'm not complaining. Why can't I use the hardware decoding? I tested a file and it worked just fine?
(2014-07-14, 06:22)VanillaXtract Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. I just finished doing that. Works just fine now. I may have skipped that initial step of power washing. But all is good now so I'm not complaining. Why can't I use the hardware decoding? I tested a file and it worked just fine?

there's a couple of bugs in Intel's driver that occasionally cause pauses/lockups. It's really dependent on the content you are playing though. You can certainly enable hardware decoding and then disable it if you run into the issue
(2014-07-14, 04:32)jsp1 Wrote: Getting a problem on resume, my audio device isn't getting recognized (so no audio) and requires me to either reboot or change the audio settings and then switch back. I don't know if it is an Openelec issue or a Custom Openelec issue since I never had suspend/resume working before.

I had the same problem occur twice. Reboot fixes it and really is only a 4 second process so can't complain. But I thought I'd just let jsp1 know he's not alone...

Anybody with Fedora having this issue? Just curious...
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37