rasberry pi vs apple tv2
This is probably a really stupid question but i'm pretty new to the xbmc box scene I only have experience with the atv 2. Is the rasberry pi faster than the atv 2 as a dedicated xbmc unit for streaming video?
ATV2 supports 720p, Pi will do 1080p

Having run both, I find the Pi (running XBian here) to be slightly smoother in the GUI (running Amber Skin) - as for movies themselves, I've had no issues with any of my 4GB up to 12GB MKV files - I have also had the Pi running some 1920x1080 3D MKV's (approx 10-14GB) over my network for my 3D TV with no issues...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
(2014-07-22, 13:57)nsviper Wrote: ATV2 supports 720p, Pi will do 1080p

Having run both, I find the Pi (running XBian here) to be slightly smoother in the GUI (running Amber Skin) - as for movies themselves, I've had no issues with any of my 4GB up to 12GB MKV files - I have also had the Pi running some 1920x1080 3D MKV's (approx 10-14GB) over my network for my 3D TV with no issues...

I was actually more concerned with the streaming content I access online via xbmc but it's good to know the gui is smoother because atv hangs up constantly.

Also I see they just released the rasp pi b+ is this any great stride in advancement?
(2014-07-22, 19:13)DankNasty Wrote: Also I see they just released the rasp pi b+ is this any great stride in advancement?

It's a minor update. The extra USB ports may avoid requiring a USB hub.
The lower power usage means you should have less problems with using weaker power supplies.
The analogue audio is improved.

You should certainly get a B+ rather than a B if buying a new one. if you already have a B, then the differences are minor.

The Pi has many improvments over an ATV2.
It will be smoother in the gui, proper 1080p output, higher quality scaling, switching to 24/50/60 Hz display modes.
(2014-07-22, 19:36)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 19:13)DankNasty Wrote: Also I see they just released the rasp pi b+ is this any great stride in advancement?

The lower power usage means you should have less problems with using weaker power supplies.

You should certainly get a B+ rather than a B if buying a new one. if you already have a B, then the differences are minor.

It will be smoother in the gui, proper 1080p output, higher quality scaling, switching to 24/50/60 Hz display modes.

I think i'm gonna go with the pi b+ running open elec, I've seen that it's optimal to run it off a usb 3.0 usb flash is this true? Also with apple tv I was never able to get the divx/xvid stuff to load among a number of other streaming formats, is pi more compatible?

(2014-07-22, 19:36)popcornmix Wrote:

I think i'm gonna go with the pi b+ running open elec, I've seen that it's optimal to run it off a usb 3.0 usb flash is this true? Also with apple tv I was never able to get the divx/xvid stuff to load among a number of other streaming formats, is pi more compatible?
(2014-07-22, 21:08)DankNasty Wrote: I think i'm gonna go with the pi b+ running open elec, I've seen that it's optimal to run it off a usb 3.0 usb flash is this true? Also with apple tv I was never able to get the divx/xvid stuff to load among a number of other streaming formats, is pi more compatible?

There are sdcards that are as fast as USB (but cheaper). Read this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200142
(2014-07-22, 22:45)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-22, 21:08)DankNasty Wrote: I think i'm gonna go with the pi b+ running open elec, I've seen that it's optimal to run it off a usb 3.0 usb flash is this true? Also with apple tv I was never able to get the divx/xvid stuff to load among a number of other streaming formats, is pi more compatible?

There are sdcards that are as fast as USB (but cheaper). Read this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200142

Seems like the samsungs yield good results, I found this card would this be decent? http://www.frys.com/product/7777708?site...IN_RSLT_PG
(2014-07-23, 04:36)DankNasty Wrote: Seems like the samsungs yield good results, I found this card would this be decent? http://www.frys.com/product/7777708?site...IN_RSLT_PG

The NOOBs card is manufactured by Samsung, so there's a good chance that card will be decent - run crystaldiskmark to be sure.
(2014-07-23, 15:09)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 04:36)DankNasty Wrote: Seems like the samsungs yield good results, I found this card would this be decent? http://www.frys.com/product/7777708?site...IN_RSLT_PG

The NOOBs card is manufactured by Samsung, so there's a good chance that card will be decent - run crystaldiskmark to be sure.

I notice the noobs card with the pi is just 5 dollars more so I'm probably just gonna order this but is the noobs card the fastest sd with the rasp pi? Also it says that everything gets wiped clean if u change os from your sd card does this mean you cannot save anything permanent on the sd card or back up on it and that I ultimately need a usb if I want to save any of my setting or files? Again sorry if these are dumb questions I'm fairly new to this.
So in all honesty I would install to a USB drive, I know Raspbian can do it easily through the setup gui when you configure the SD card. I have ran it on a class 10 card that claimed 86mb/s and on a few USB drives and the USB drives have always been the fastest. If you are use to cable boxes and the like the SD card will probably be fast enough but USB is just that much faster.

Also always overclock, most of the XBMC Rpi distros already do a minor one but I always push mine a little more. I get 1.1ghz cpu 450mhz gpu/core/etc and 500mhz ram with the voltage at setting 6. Works like a champ.

Also if you have any VC-1 or MPEG2 content make sure to by the licences so that you can get hardware acceleration.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
(2014-07-24, 07:12)DankNasty Wrote: I notice the noobs card with the pi is just 5 dollars more so I'm probably just gonna order this but is the noobs card the fastest sd with the rasp pi? Also it says that everything gets wiped clean if u change os from your sd card does this mean you cannot save anything permanent on the sd card or back up on it and that I ultimately need a usb if I want to save any of my setting or files? Again sorry if these are dumb questions I'm fairly new to this.

NOOBS allows you to try out a number of OSes (e.g. raspbian, arch, risc os, raspbmc, openelec).
I think the comment about everything getting wiped is only if you switch OS.

If you stick with one OS nothing will be wiped.

The speed of the NOOBS card is very good - the fastest card I've tested. If you can find a faster card I imagine it will cost significantly more, and the difference will be small.
Personally I'd suggest you use the NOOBS image to get up and running with xbmc easily.
Once you know your way around it may be worth formatting and setting up a dedicated openelec (or raspbmc) image. That way you save on the sdcard space taken by the other OS images.
(2014-07-24, 12:19)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-24, 07:12)DankNasty Wrote: I notice the noobs card with the pi is just 5 dollars more so I'm probably just gonna order this but is the noobs card the fastest sd with the rasp pi? Also it says that everything gets wiped clean if u change os from your sd card does this mean you cannot save anything permanent on the sd card or back up on it and that I ultimately need a usb if I want to save any of my setting or files? Again sorry if these are dumb questions I'm fairly new to this.

NOOBS allows you to try out a number of OSes (e.g. raspbian, arch, risc os, raspbmc, openelec).
I think the comment about everything getting wiped is only if you switch OS.

If you stick with one OS nothing will be wiped.

The speed of the NOOBS card is very good - the fastest card I've tested. If you can find a faster card I imagine it will cost significantly more, and the difference will be small.
Personally I'd suggest you use the NOOBS image to get up and running with xbmc easily.
Once you know your way around it may be worth formatting and setting up a dedicated openelec (or raspbmc) image. That way you save on the sdcard space taken by the other OS images.

Oh ok sounds good. I found this when I was looking for the pi http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16318 are there any recommended retailers for the pi or is this a solid deal?
Just to note RaspBMC (Never used OpenELEC) has a really easy to use Windows program for installing to an SD card and configuring somethings like Wifi and USB install.

I always get my Rpis from Element 14/Farnell here in the USA, which is one of the direct sellers and so they sell it at cost + tax/shipping.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
(2014-07-24, 14:27)poplap Wrote: Just to note RaspBMC (Never used OpenELEC) has a really easy to use Windows program for installing to an SD card and configuring somethings like Wifi and USB install.

I always get my Rpis from Element 14/Farnell here in the USA, which is one of the direct sellers and so they sell it at cost + tax/shipping.

I went ahead and ordered the raspberry b+ with NOOBs, I held out on getting one of the usb power adapters just because i have so many lying around my house does anyone have any experience using these with the iphone usb chargers that output 5v 2amp?
Yep, I use those for two of my pi's, they work just fine.

I don't want burst your bubble, but had I seen this sooner, I would have recommended you go with the Amazon Fire TV over either of these two. I've had pi's for the last two years and they are great, but they are just as expensive (ballpark) as an AFTV after you add up the SD card, USB drive (if you do go this route, highly recommended putting the storage on a usb drive, faster caching, as noted above), power adapter, HDMI cable, case, etc.

My FireTV is much snappier than my pi's (not that the pi's performance is bad), and can play everything I have thrown at it thusfar (blue ray rips, heavy MPEG2), plus you have the added benefit of android apps.

So unless you want to mess with the GPIO of the pi... I'd return it and go with the AFTV.

But that's just me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
rasberry pi vs apple tv20