• 141(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-11-29, 17:33)noggin Wrote:
(2014-11-29, 10:20)nickr Wrote: 1. You need to turn off overscan on your tv.

Annoyingly this isn't always possible on some TVs when running at non-panel native resolutions. On my Sony Bravia Full HD set (c. 2007) you can only totally disable overscan when running in a 1920x1080 mode. SD and 720p inputs are always subject to a bit of overscan. If this causes me a problem I usually configure our Onkyo amp away from Pass Through (which is how it normally works) and get it to upscale to 1920x1080 (which is then displayed without overscan)

Any idea what overscan might be called on a Samsung TV (it's a 720p plasma set from about 4 years ago)? I don't see anything in any of the setup screens that looks close to that.

thanks!
(2014-11-30, 21:02)FreeMan xbmc Wrote: Any idea what overscan might be called on a Samsung TV (it's a 720p plasma set from about 4 years ago)? I don't see anything in any of the setup screens that looks close to that.

Picture Size: "Just Scan"
(2014-06-09, 17:07)Smobbo Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 17:00)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 16:57)Smobbo Wrote: Hi,

So I finally jumped the bandwagon and tomorrow i'll pick up my Chromebox!
Got very excited about the box after reading through this thread (and the annoucement thread) Smile !

I just have one question before i'll start setting it all up:

Is the high CPU usage only gone when using a stand-alone setup or also when using a dualboot setup (OpenElec + ChromeOS)?

I think I want to start with a dualboot and also see what ChromeOS is all about, but if that means the device performs suboptimal i'd rather just go with a stand-alone setup.

Can't wait to get started tomorrow Smile !

standalone = no issues
dual boot + 2GB ram + OE/Ubuntu = high CPU (Arch doesn't have an issue?)
dual boot + 4GB + OE = no issues (Ubuntu still does apparently?)

Tnx for the quick reply!
I'll go with the stand alone for now then (i have the 2GB version).

Hi, I am about to get this week an asus chromebox. I wanted to know if the high cpu 2gb ram is still an issue. Also can someone tell me which would be better for celeron chromebox 2gb linux mint or xubuntu. Which of the two would run faster and have less bugs. I read through the entire thread and wanted to know when I try to install it will I install first linux mint or xubuntu then openelect or do I install first openelect then linux mint or ubuntu. I read somewhere in the thread that since I won't be using chrome os I can do standalone installation for both linux mint/openelect and then choose between the two during boot?. For the partition I can do 2gb openelec and 14gb for OS?.
(2014-11-30, 23:05)megamanwilson Wrote: Hi, I am about to get this week an asus chromebox. I wanted to know if the high cpu 2gb ram is still an issue. Also can someone tell me which would be better for celeron chromebox 2gb linux mint or xubuntu. Which of the two would run faster and have less bugs. I read through the entire thread and wanted to know when I try to install it will I install first linux mint or xubuntu then openelect or do I install first openelect then linux mint or ubuntu. I read somewhere in the thread that since I won't be using chrome os I can do standalone installation for both linux mint/openelect and then choose between the two during boot?. For the partition I can do 2gb openelec and 14gb for OS?.

the high CPU usage on a single stick of RAM isn't an issue with the standalone firmware and a recent kernel (3.14+).

if you're going to run Mint or Ubuntu (both should work equally well - there's also XBMCbuntu/Kodibuntu), then there's no reason to dual boot OpenELEC, just install XBMC/Kodi for Linux under whatever OS you install.
Thank you for your quick response. The reason that I ask about it is that some people say that openelect run faster and boots faster too. I will look XBMCbuntu,mint,xubuntu and see which I like best.
(2014-11-30, 23:38)megamanwilson Wrote: Thank you for your quick response. The reason that I ask about it is that some people say that openelect run faster and boots faster too. I will look XBMCbuntu,mint,xubuntu and see which I like best.

OpenELEC boots faster no question, but there shouldn't be any significant difference in performance once the OS is booted. OpenELEC does have the advantage of using the latest drivers etc which would otherwise need to be manually installed under a "full" Linux OS
(2014-12-01, 00:28)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-11-30, 23:38)megamanwilson Wrote: Thank you for your quick response. The reason that I ask about it is that some people say that openelect run faster and boots faster too. I will look XBMCbuntu,mint,xubuntu and see which I like best.

OpenELEC boots faster no question, but there shouldn't be any significant difference in performance once the OS is booted. OpenELEC does have the advantage of using the latest drivers etc which would otherwise need to be manually installed under a "full" Linux OS

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
OK, I followed everything and used mini.iso and installed ubuntu server
The usb is recognized as sda so I installed the system and grub to sdb

I was able to boot into ubuntu using legacy bios hd boot

Yay

Now, though, if I use cntrl-d to go to Chromeos, it says the system is corrupted
Any ideas?
(2014-12-01, 22:30)prattmd Wrote: OK, I followed everything and used mini.iso and installed ubuntu server

Yay

Now, though, if I use cntrl-d to go to Chromeos, it says the system is corrupted
Any ideas?

because grub corrupted the MBR I'm guessing - I think there's an option when setting up/installing grub to update the MBR, and you need to deselect it.
Got a Acer CXI today and wanted to run Openelec. Ran the script and chose coreboot firmware install, did a backup of the stock firmware and started updating the firmware. Did get an error (unfortunally no screenshot, but it was something like "something went wrong") during the update, tried a few times more, but with same result... Tried to reboot and now the screen is just black, nothing happens when I start it, and nothing happens trying to press ESC.

Anyone got any tips for recover the stock firmware I backed up?
CRAP!

I'm pretty sure I've 'bricked' it now.... ;o(

I was following the instructions for a dual boot and things were looking right. When I did the final restart to expect to see XBMC appear, then I saw some issues about 'booting the kernel'. After searching for a solution for this issue I decided I would rather go back to the original factory settings but this was apparently a struggle again. So at some point I decided to switch to a stand alone XBMC solution - expecting this would 'cure' the issues I had... Unfortunately this didn't get me to XBMC again? (kernel issues?) I took a backup going through the installation, but when I boot from USB it shows booting the kernel, but nothing happens...(a backup of a faulty system?)

So now I'm in trouble and can't think of any other solutions... can anyone help? Is there a way to install a "correct" version on my usb to get it back and try something again or is it "dead"?

Would appreciate any kind of help, ;o)

By the way - was/is using this: Chromebox 2955U and a 8gb kingston USB
(2014-12-02, 00:17)Krusty Wrote: CRAP!

I'm pretty sure I've 'bricked' it now.... ;o(

I was following the instructions for a dual boot and things were looking right. When I did the final restart to expect to see XBMC appear, then I saw some issues about 'booting the kernel'. After searching for a solution for this issue I decided I would rather go back to the original factory settings but this was apparently a struggle again. So at some point I decided to switch to a stand alone XBMC solution - expecting this would 'cure' the issues I had... Unfortunately this didn't get me to XBMC again? (kernel issues?) I took a backup going through the installation, but when I boot from USB it shows booting the kernel, but nothing happens...(a backup of a faulty system?)

So now I'm in trouble and can't think of any other solutions... can anyone help? Is there a way to install a "correct" version on my usb to get it back and try something again or is it "dead"?

Would appreciate any kind of help, ;o)

By the way - was/is using this: Chromebox 2955U and a 8gb kingston USB

you didn't brick it, you just need to install an OS (OpenELEC, Ubuntu, etc) via USB. Create a USB installer on another machine, then boot it on the ChromeBox and install.
fort some reason i am getting " couldnt resolve " db.tt"

same goes for "goo.gl"

ha never mind- internet wasnt working
Hey, folks!

I'm having several problems using the install script in post 1.

When selecting dual boot with OpenELEC, wget throws an error that the certificates don't match.
Same when checking for BIOS update.

I was able to successfully install Ubuntu, though.

When running XBMC in Ubuntu, I'm finding it impossible to get HD Audio... Everything is just sent 5.1, no DTS HD MA. Is this an Ubuntu-issue?

The Ubuntu audio option is set to HDMI, as is XBMC.

Finally, is it possible to get it to boot straight into XBMC without having to log in and start XBMC manually?

Thanks!!!
(2014-12-01, 22:30)prattmd Wrote: OK, I followed everything and used mini.iso and installed ubuntu server

Yay

Any ideas?

ok, so I installed to dev/sdb7 and installed grub to dev/sdb7 instead of the MBR
Now, ubuntu won't boot AND chrome os wont boot

Any other ideas?
  • 141(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37