• 193(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
after some testing with the newest openelec release 5.0 and the "intel VAAPI fix" I can attest that the freezes became extremely seldom, nearly non-existent.

another "feature" I recently discovered with the intel graphics is heavy blocking/artifacts particularly with (VC-1) remuxes, happens when there's abrupt changes in brightness in the source material e.g. flashes - try to watch Highlander with that, I dare you... Wink is this already known? quite annoying because when not taking into account those bugs, the video quality of the little box is quite amazing.

edit: sorry fritsch, just found this http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/14610 but how is this already fixed when my poor Highlander drowns in blocking artifacts? Sad
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Is that with VC-1 enabled in Video -> Acceleration?

Btw. - always provide a Debug Log - your report is worth nothing without it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
yes, VC-1 VAAPI hardware acceleration was allowed, now testing without (using ff-vc1 codec now, quite serious CPU load but video quality seems to be improved). sry, I know about the debug log, will upload tomorrow
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks @ Matt Devo- Thanks I was able to get it to work after I restored chromeos and then did all the steps over. You were right that the Openelec never completely installed the 1st time somehow. Now it is all fixed & running
Hi guys,
I upgraded the kernel on my standalone ubuntu 14.04 and the freezing seems to have stopped.
I have a question though: on the hardware acceleration page in xbmc, do I have to check anything else besides vaapi (vdpau too I mean). According to what I read here and there vdpau is used by Nvidia, right?
Right now I have
Render method - auto
Decoding method - hardware accelerated
And then the three following settings checked.
Oh, btw, I run everything on a chromebox, 4 gigs of ram and 64 gigs transcend ssd (upgraded the ssd for windows, but I couldn't live with no audio on hdmi.)
Thanks for your input
VAAPI is what you should use on your NUC.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It's what I was thinking...thanks for the hard work guys...
So I should safely uncheck vdpau...
Once again thanks...
Two hopefully easy questions, has anyone else had the issue where the box when resuming from standby the fans stay running? Not 100% but not dead quiet like it is during a fresh boot, and also is there any way to get my flirc unit to wake it up? This is on a new dell chromebox, I have gone through all the steps with seabios and am running openecplex on it.
(2015-01-04, 20:01)gixie Wrote: It's what I was thinking...thanks for the hard work guys...
So I should safely uncheck vdpau...
Once again thanks...

it doesn't matter, it's not used since it's not supported by the hardware.

(2015-01-04, 21:03)jmcgee_jr Wrote: Two hopefully easy questions, has anyone else had the issue where the box when resuming from standby the fans stay running? Not 100% but not dead quiet like it is during a fresh boot, and also is there any way to get my flirc unit to wake it up? This is on a new dell chromebox, I have gone through all the steps with seabios and am running openecplex on it.

The fan speed on resume issue is one I've tweaked in the firmware, but seems to be the result of the thermal sensor returning "bad" data upon resume. Given that it's not easily reproducible, I haven't been able to eliminate it completely. The Flirc can be programmed to wake the unit from suspend - see one of the many Flirc threads.
Help please,
I just followed your instructions and everything was going fine until the last step to reboot the system. When I did that a seobios black screen popped up and states the following
” booting from hard drive….
loading kernel failed: no such file or directory
boot:”
I tried typing “y” after boot but it doesn’t do anything…
what should I do from here?

Thanks for your help
Tony
(2015-01-05, 04:22)tony323 Wrote: Help please,
I just followed your instructions and everything was going fine until the last step to reboot the system. When I did that a seobios black screen popped up and states the following

Thanks for your help
Tony

what setup / OS? whatever it is, doesn't sound like it's installed properly/fully
(2015-01-05, 04:24)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-01-05, 04:22)tony323 Wrote: Help please,

Thanks for your help
Tony

what setup / OS? whatever it is, doesn't sound like it's installed properly/fully

Imy trying to install on a Asus chromebox. Single boot
(2015-01-05, 05:07)tony323 Wrote: Imy trying to install on a Asus chromebox. Single boot

what OS did you install? If you haven't installed one yet, now would be the time to do so. For standalone OpenELEC setups, the script only creates the installation media for you; you still need to boot the install media and run the installer
(2015-01-05, 05:28)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-01-05, 05:07)tony323 Wrote: Imy trying to install on a Asus chromebox. Single boot

what OS did you install? If you haven't installed one yet, now would be the time to do so. For standalone OpenELEC setups, the script only creates the installation media for you; you still need to boot the install media and run the installer

Hello Matt,

I followed the directions at this location
http://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2014/11...mment-4821

Everything was working fine until the last step to reboot. Then I got the black screen with the error.

I checked the USB after and there is Openelec 5.0 on there.

Maybe I should retry. But how do I get back from this screen.

Thanks
(2015-01-05, 05:35)tony323 Wrote: Hello Matt,

I followed the directions at this location
http://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2014/11...mment-4821

Everything was working fine until the last step to reboot. Then I got the black screen with the error.

I checked the USB after and there is Openelec 5.0 on there.

Maybe I should retry. But how do I get back from this screen.

Thanks

you don't "get back", you just need to install an OS, and you do that by booting from your installation media. See: http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Install_Media_Creation

furthermore, "simplified" instructions are great, until you run into a problem. If you'd read the wiki page and first post in its entirety, you'd know exactly what you need to do Smile
  • 193(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37