• 219(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Any suggestions for VC-1 ? Specifically MKV from Blu Ray that have VC-1 for video.

The only thing I do with my Kodi/Chromebox is playback MKV of Blu Rays and VC-1 is problematic.

If I enable Vaapi (Acceleration for VC-1) I get blocky artifacts during certain scenes which are 100% easy to reproduce. Same scenes ... everytime. 2 that I noticed are in the movies Deep Blue Sea and Jurassic Park.

If I dis-able Vaapi then many VC-1 movies become a choppy mess. For example, The Dark Knight or FastTimes.

So for now, I have to check if a movie uses VC1 and remember which option works.

-Brian
(2015-02-01, 00:56)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 00:52)Weeman007 Wrote: Well it still runs OpenELEC 4.2.1 and i can't update it in the openelec menu. It doesn't find any updates for OpenELEC 5 so it seems i must reinstall everything? Am i right?

no. see: http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/153-...0-released

Thanks, i tried to update but the chromebox is not responding very well. I couldn't upload the file to the update map.
(2015-02-01, 13:43)bhampton Wrote: Any suggestions for VC-1 ? Specifically MKV from Blu Ray that have VC-1 for video.

The only thing I do with my Kodi/Chromebox is playback MKV of Blu Rays and VC-1 is problematic.

If I enable Vaapi (Acceleration for VC-1) I get blocky artifacts during certain scenes which are 100% easy to reproduce. Same scenes ... everytime. 2 that I noticed are in the movies Deep Blue Sea and Jurassic Park.

If I dis-able Vaapi then many VC-1 movies become a choppy mess. For example, The Dark Knight or FastTimes.

So for now, I have to check if a movie uses VC1 and remember which option works.

-Brian

Think there was some suggestion that the blockiness - bizarrely - was worse in some containers than others. Have you tried remuxing the blocky mkvs to something like mp4 or m2ts? (This isn't the interlaced VC-1 issue AIUI)
(2015-02-01, 14:28)noggin Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 13:43)bhampton Wrote: Any suggestions for VC-1 ? Specifically MKV from Blu Ray that have VC-1 for video.

-Brian

Think there was some suggestion that the blockiness - bizarrely - was worse in some containers than others. Have you tried remuxing the blocky mkvs to something like mp4 or m2ts? (This isn't the interlaced VC-1 issue AIUI)

Hi,

I'm still a bit new to the media server idea,... I tend to just convert Blu Rays to MKV using MakeMKV and prefer not to remux or re-encode or anything like that, however, I am tempted to re-encode at least those 2 problematic movies. The blockiness artifacts I found are in the first few minutes of both of those and completely reproduce-able... I assumed maybe the Deep Blu Sea disc was 1080i and that was the issue. I wouldn't think Jurassic Park was 1080i but then I don't know... Typically I can't tell if a disc is coded for 1080i or 1080p.

Edit - According to Blu Ray dot com both these movies are 1080p .. so it's not the 1080i issue.

=Brian
I actually don't know why MP4 would be better than MKV for this blocky VC1 issue I have but ... I guess it's easy enough to try it so I will try to convert one of the problem files and report back...
has anyone tried to get a atv2 remote working with theseHuh
(2015-02-01, 17:07)massy086 Wrote: has anyone tried to get a atv2 remote working with theseHuh

opps... nevermind... I misread you post... sorry
(2015-02-01, 14:15)Weeman007 Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 00:56)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 00:52)Weeman007 Wrote: Well it still runs OpenELEC 4.2.1 and i can't update it in the openelec menu. It doesn't find any updates for OpenELEC 5 so it seems i must reinstall everything? Am i right?

no. see: http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/153-...0-released

Thanks, i tried to update but the chromebox is not responding very well. I couldn't upload the file to the update map.
If you want help you'll have to tell us more. But your problem is unrelated to Matt's chromebox script, so please start another thread.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is there a way to "factory reset" the box to the clean openelec+kodi install? I've installed lots of addons, themes, etc... would like to start over...

Apologize if this has been covered, I tried searching.
(2015-02-02, 02:37)Travisc Wrote: Is there a way to "factory reset" the box to the clean openelec+kodi install? I've installed lots of addons, themes, etc... would like to start over...

Apologize if this has been covered, I tried searching.

System/OpenELEC/General/Hard Reset -- effectively the same as a reinstall. Or just reinstall it the same way you did initially (from USB for standalone users, from the script for dual boot users)
Hello all

This is my first post on the forum.

I just purchased a Asus chrome box and installed openelec standalone on it. NIm using the official iPhone app to control the box, but I'm not able to use the wake on loan function. It works fine to use suspend, the it turns off. But when I'm using the wake on lan, nothing happens.
Can someone please help me?

Regards Martin
(2015-02-01, 14:48)bhampton Wrote:
(2015-02-01, 14:28)noggin Wrote:

-Brian

Hi,

I'm still a bit new to the media server idea,... I tend to just convert Blu Rays to MKV using MakeMKV and prefer not to remux or re-encode or anything like that, however, I am tempted to re-encode at least those 2 problematic movies. The blockiness artifacts I found are in the first few minutes of both of those and completely reproduce-able... I assumed maybe the Deep Blu Sea disc was 1080i and that was the issue. I wouldn't think Jurassic Park was 1080i but then I don't know... Typically I can't tell if a disc is coded for 1080i or 1080p.

Edit - According to Blu Ray dot com both these movies are 1080p .. so it's not the 1080i issue.

=Brian

My suggestion is to re-mux them not re-encode them.

When you re-mux something you keep the video and audio streams intact and untouched, but change the 'wrapper' or file container that they are in. MKV, AVI, MOV, MP4, TS and M2TS are all different wrappers. ISTR reading somewhere that for some reason certain Blu-ray rips in one wrapper blocked but they were fine in another wrapper.
Yes,... thank you ... That's what I want to do (Change the "wrapper" without changing the AV streams). I tried yesterday to test with Jurassic Park but I will try again today. The only 2 movies I have seen the problem so far are Jurrasic Park and Deep Blue Sea... I'll have to check all my VC1 ... esp if the workaround works.

Thanks Again.

-Brian
Trying again today to repackage VC1 MKV into a MP4 container however programs that I read about online that are supposed to just remux the MKV into MP4 seem to be re-encoding because the process runs slow so I know some processing is being done.

I have been through I suppose 4 or 5 of these "tools"... I thought VLC did this easy but again I can't seem to find the right process yet.
ffmpeg can easily do what you want.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 219(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37