• 230(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-02-07, 04:20)nickr Wrote: Man you guys in the US should count yourselves lucky. Just saw my first asus cb in a nz retail store. $299.00.

That's why you buy off Amazon, right? I wouldn't buy one in Australia either.
(2015-02-06, 23:21)c0mm0n Wrote: Thx Matt, Bios updated, now seing the POST on the projector, nice !

By the way, what's your actual chromebox ranking ? Still Asus first ? Got a hand on the Acer ?

Asus for sure, with the Dell a close 2nd. The Acer is a PITA to open up and access the WP screw, ram, and SSD; otherwise it's about the same as the Dell in terms of fan noise (so slightly louder than the Asus, but much better than the HP)

(2015-02-07, 01:52)GOOCHY Wrote: I ended up digging up an old USB thumb drive that my wife had in her purse and that worked. I'm up and rolling except I can't seem to enable wireless on the Chromebox.

EDIT - Found it under the OpenELEC menus. That wasn't available using the Nox skin so I couldn't find it. Went back to Confluence and it was there.

I'm very interested in diagnosing any USB sticks that aren't working properly - PM me if you can take a few minutes to pull a firmware boot log.

(2015-02-07, 04:18)rodalpho Wrote: I meant that cosmetically they look truly identical. Not just same specs, but the exact same device branded Dell rather than Asus.

the case is different, size/shape, power button on top, etc. Asus/HP/Dell are all 98% identical when it comes to board design though (since they all copied a reference board I'd assume).
(2015-02-07, 04:58)DocG Wrote:
(2015-02-07, 04:20)nickr Wrote: Man you guys in the US should count yourselves lucky. Just saw my first asus cb in a nz retail store. $299.00.

I am not in Australia. * /me bristles with indignation*
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-07, 05:16)Matt Devo Wrote: Asus for sure, with the Dell a close 2nd. The Acer is a PITA to open up and access the WP screw, ram, and SSD; otherwise it's about the same as the Dell in terms of fan noise (so slightly louder than the Asus, but much better than the HP)
My hp is barely audible, i gotta put my ear next to the case. Maybe they made a second revision or something.
(2015-02-07, 05:56)Soli Wrote: My hp is barely audible, i gotta put my ear next to the case. Maybe they made a second revision or something.

if you're running my standalone firmware, that makes a huge difference for sure. If you feel like disassembling yours and taking pictures of the underside of the main board, be my guest Smile
(2015-02-07, 05:47)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-07, 04:58)DocG Wrote:

Doesn't Amazon ship to New Zealand?
(2015-02-07, 04:50)Soli Wrote: I bought 2 hp cb with 4 gigs of ram for only 132usd. And thats including 25% VAT. In Norway, worlds most expensive country. But normally they are at least 250usd, just so happened to be a good price this week in one of the electronic chains. I even sold off my mac minis since they were overkill for the purpose. Will keep me occupied until the skylake chromeboxes arriveSmile

Two cb's for 132 usd or one? I assume you are mentioning about expert offer of 999nok.
(2015-02-07, 05:56)Soli Wrote:
(2015-02-07, 05:16)Matt Devo Wrote: Asus for sure, with the Dell a close 2nd. The Acer is a PITA to open up and access the WP screw, ram, and SSD; otherwise it's about the same as the Dell in terms of fan noise (so slightly louder than the Asus, but much better than the HP)
My hp is barely audible, i gotta put my ear next to the case. Maybe they made a second revision or something.

i just bought two last week on amazon, fan too noisy so i sent it back and bout the asus instead and i can't even hear anything from this box even when it first boot up.
(2015-02-07, 06:11)DocG Wrote:
(2015-02-07, 05:47)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-07, 04:58)DocG Wrote: That's why you buy off Amazon, right? I wouldn't buy one in Australia either.

Doesn't Amazon ship to New Zealand?

Sorry I thought you were confusing NZ with Oz, part of not seeing peoples details when !!

Yeah some Amazon vendors will ship to NZ.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-07, 07:50)nickr Wrote: Sorry I thought you were confusing NZ with Oz, part of not seeing peoples details when !!

Yeah some Amazon vendors will ship to NZ.

No worries, and I'd never confuse Australia with New Zealand. Tongue
(2015-02-07, 06:02)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-07, 05:56)Soli Wrote: My hp is barely audible, i gotta put my ear next to the case. Maybe they made a second revision or something.

if you're running my standalone firmware, that makes a huge difference for sure. If you feel like disassembling yours and taking pictures of the underside of the main board, be my guest Smile
I played around with chromeos a bit before i flashed your standalone firmware. Cant say i noticed anything noisy with the original firmware either. Im getting a second one next week. I'll report back.
To keep my HP Chromebox quiet I had to use Bilinear scaling instead of Lanczos 3. Other than that I have no complaints.
Hehe - yes. Lanczos3 Optimized puts a whole lot of pressure on the GPU. But this should only be used for SD and max 720p content anyways. See the "Use HQ Scalers when scaling above:" 20% setting.

Lanczos3 upscaling 1080 to 1080 is just insane and unneeded.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-02-07, 20:44)ant_thomas Wrote: To keep my HP Chromebox quiet I had to use Bilinear scaling instead of Lanczos 3. Other than that I have no complaints.

Lanczos3 requires significantly more CPU, which drives up the temp, which kicks up the fan speed. It's certainly a good test to see how loud your box can get Smile
(2015-02-07, 05:56)Soli Wrote:

Same here. My HP chromebox is near silent. Only thing i can think of at the moment is that its pretty cold at the moment locally, maybe it`ll be different in summer.
  • 230(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37