• 238(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hmmm im running ubuntu server 14.04 with lubuntu desktop and have updated to 3.16 and then to 3.18.6 stable kernels and same thing. I'll setup 14.10 if i can't get it to work i'll just get a switch Big Grin
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2015-02-15, 19:27)drhill Wrote: So far a few days in I have the chromebox mostly setup how I want. Still need to get channel icons downloaded for LiveTV (via IPTV simple and HDHomerun prime) and figure out how to the the channel numbers to match what Verizon gives.

All my movies and tv shows play great and thanks for the help for the refresh rate, furii.

All I need to do is figure out if I want to switch to FLIRC for better keyboard and on/standby support with my Harmony Smart Control. Thanks everyone. Shame no Netflix though. It would be much easier on the wife if she didn't have to switch inputs for it.

I've got chrome installed and it plays netflix fine.
Edit: Spelling
OpenElec? I thought netflix on Ubuntu is only SD resolution?
(2015-02-16, 03:38)drhill Wrote: OpenElec? I thought netflix on Ubuntu is only SD resolution?
Nope, full HD/5.1 for a while now Smile
Kodibuntu. I didn't check if it was hd or not. I don't see why it wouldn't be.
(2015-02-16, 03:45)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 03:38)drhill Wrote: OpenElec? I thought netflix on Ubuntu is only SD resolution?

Good to hear it's good quality. But it's an ubuntu varient, correct? Is this something that would be easy to control via a Harmony remote and easy to switch between Kodi and Netflix?
Yes, properly set up, it behaves more or less like a native Kodi plugin.
(2015-02-15, 14:05)noggin Wrote:
(2015-02-15, 12:02)Soli Wrote: 30hz isnt a standard, so good luck finding a Tv that supports this mode. 23.976/24hz wasnt a standard till pretty late in the plasma age, when the second/third gen. Blu ray players began to appear with support for 24hz. Pioneer tripped the framerate so internally it was running at 72hz, Panasonic went with 96hz in their top models. Cinemas from used to run at 48hz). This was using plasmas, lcd does not flicker so one does not need to process the vertical sync @ 3 or 4 times.

Point is, 60hz is already a standard which is integer compatible with 30hz, so there was never a need for 30hz. It would be totally and utter pointless.

Even if your display supported both 30 and 60hz, the 60hz mode would be preferable. No blanking, smoother gui when going out/in of fullscreen. So when Kodi is using 60hz with your 30fps movie, it is doing everything correctly. This type of question pops up far too frequently. If only people could think for 1 second: Hmm, I wonder what the freaking *point* of "adjust display refresh..." is....?

2160/30p (and 2160/25p) are both standards for HDMI 1.4a (as 2160/50p and 2160/60p aren't supported on HDMI 1.x variants - though 4:2:0 2160/50p and 60p is within HDMI 1.4 bandwidths ).

720/25p, 720/29.97p, 720/30p, 1080/25p, 1080/29.97p and 1080/30p are all CEA 861 supported formats (and I believe at least one of my displays supports them and flags them via EDID) - though there is no need to use them over the 50/59.94/60p variants (unless you have bandwidth constraints)

As far as I've seen (and as far as has been documented elsewhere), when presented with 25p, 29.97p or 30p content, Kodi will *ALWAYS* automatically use a 50hz, 59.94hz, or 60hz refresh rate, even if a 25hz, 29.97hz, or 30hz refresh rate is available. But I do believe you can manually override this with an advanced setting.

If the higher refresh rate is not available for whatever reason (ie. some 4k TVs that only support 60hz with 4:2:0 chroma), then it will fall back to the lower one. And yes, I do have a television that supports all the mentioned refresh rates and has them showing as options in OE, so I've confirmed this behavior.
Whats the best way to update OpenElec/Kodi on a Chromebox when installed via Matt's script?
Same as with any other openelec machine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Wait, I'm missing something on my setup then. I can get HD (720p) video, but no 5.1 audio. Are you using pipelight or HTML5 for Netflix? When you press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+D during video playback it shows 5.1 audio? (just making sure its not your receiver, etc up-mixing)

Here is a screenshot of what I see currently: http://i.imgur.com/c0roAWt.jpg

I would love to get 5.1 audio working for Netflix and would appreciate any help getting it working.
can anyone please clarify whether the EZ script works on a chromebook? i have a hp 14 4gb with the 2995u processor. i've used the search function on the thread but reading standalone comments is still a little confusing. a few posts talk about installing on chromebooks, however there doesn't seem to be anything in Matt's info post at the start?

if it does then amazing as kodi is the only extra thing i wish i had on my chromebook.

i'm happy to read the 3.5k plus post thread if it does, however if it doesn't work on chromebooks i'd rather not waste my time if poss

many thanks for your time
(2015-02-16, 15:29)Bumpaneer Wrote:

Wait, I'm missing something on my setup then. I can get HD (720p) video, but no 5.1 audio. Are you using pipelight or HTML5 for Netflix? When you press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+D during video playback it shows 5.1 audio? (just making sure its not your receiver, etc up-mixing)

I would love to get 5.1 audio working for Netflix and would appreciate any help getting it working.

pretty sure it was showing 5.1 audio, but I only tested it briefly a few months ago. As much as I'd like a single-device solution, it's just easier to have the ChromeBox be a Kodi appliance and use the Bluray player for Netflix, Hulu, etc.

(2015-02-16, 16:25)ThEgOg Wrote: can anyone please clarify whether the EZ script works on a chromebook? i have a hp 14 4gb with the 2995u processor. i've used the search function on the thread but reading standalone comments is still a little confusing. a few posts talk about installing on chromebooks, however there doesn't seem to be anything in Matt's info post at the start?

if it does then amazing as kodi is the only extra thing i wish i had on my chromebook.

i'm happy to read the 3.5k plus post thread if it does, however if it doesn't work on chromebooks i'd rather not waste my time if poss

No, absolutely not. But I have added some text to the first post to clarify that, and provide a resource to ChromeBook owners looking to run a standalone (ie, non-ChromeOS) setup.
(2015-02-16, 16:25)ThEgOg Wrote: can anyone please clarify whether the EZ script works on a chromebook? i have a hp 14 4gb with the 2995u processor. i've used the search function on the thread but reading standalone comments is still a little confusing. a few posts talk about installing on chromebooks, however there doesn't seem to be anything in Matt's info post at the start?

Like Matt said, it does not work if you want to get rid of ChromeOS and run a different OS. But if you are looking to dual boot, then yes, the script works. I have used it do dual boot OpenELEC and after a SSD upgrade, I now dual boot Ubuntu. This is on a C720P and an HP 14.
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
(2015-02-16, 18:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 15:29)Bumpaneer Wrote:
(2015-02-16, 03:45)Matt Devo Wrote: Nope, full HD/5.1 for a while now Smile

pretty sure it was showing 5.1 audio, but I only tested it briefly a few months ago. As much as I'd like a single-device solution, it's just easier to have the ChromeBox be a Kodi appliance and use the Bluray player for Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Well the only hope for a full single device would seem to be an official AndroidTV box. But google hasn't taken 24p, refresh rate switching, hd bitstreaming, and all major blu ray codecs seriously yet so that box doesn't exist.
  • 238(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37